Wiring Up An Aftermarket Digital Speedo / Instrument Cluster

grasshopperman

Hi guys,

I had a quick look and couldn't see any specific thread on this topic.

We are at the front end of my build - handlebar design has been set (wont be as wide as seen in the photo) now we are looking at headlight and the speedo/ instrument cluster, along with the headlight as well.

We'll be looking at a digital setup.
Hoping to get some feedback or advice on things to look out for with the wiring - or any particular brands to look out for... etc.

Any tips from people who might have done this mod would be appreciated.

Thanks very much.

post-27395-0-47759700-1412641245.jpg

post-27395-0-97969500-1412641248.jpg

• Member Contributer

Check out the following build thread by ApexAndy. He installed an aft market Koso gauge if I recall correctly. Check post #157 and it shows how he wired it up. I think it shows the gauge Apex used on the first page of his build thread. There are also a few more tips later on near the end of his thread as well.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/75243-my-95-vfr-sf-project-the-process/page-16

I'm sure if you posed a question in the end of his thread he would be happy to at least offer a suggestion. In my experience he is very friendly and easy to talk with.

• Member Contributer

I count myself among the few here on VFRD who have not only met Apex in person, but I even got the chance to SIT on his bike. I had thought of asking to ride it, but...................... Since the first time I saw the bike was also the first time I met in Apex in person, I figured I better just offer him a cup of coffee and ask to go for a scoot on the bike the second visit. LOL

Hopefully you get the wiring and such all sorted out. Looks like a great project and I look forward to seeing the end results.

I'm from Australia, mate - not much chance of me seeing Andy in the near future.
Yeah, my bike is coming along ok, thanks.
Its taking a bit longer than I would have liked, but its better to try and get things right initially - than to mess around with things later on.
Still a ways to go.

Cheers.

forget aftermarket. Use a cbr600rr gauge from 2007-2014. This is on my 95. Takes about 1 hour to wire up but and the only thing I had to exchange was temp sensor from the cbr600rr and I bought a used speedo healer v4 off ebay. Works perfect and everything functions like OEM to include the fuel gauge.

DSC_0055_zpsb3c82b27.jpg

its mounted behind the headlight and as you can see its barely visible

20140928_111035_zps9a4k3hig.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have been trying to find a digital speedo that can replace the 5th gen analogue one, appreciate I'd have to trash the existing interior, but would be a neat addition. If you go OEM, then use CBR1000RR 04/05 has the same tach red line !

forget aftermarket. Use a cbr600rr gauge from 2007-2014. This is on my 95. Takes about 1 hour to wire up but and the only thing I had to exchange was temp sensor from the cbr600rr and I bought a used speedo healer v4 off ebay. Works perfect and everything functions like OEM to include the fuel gauge.

DSC_0055_zpsb3c82b27.jpg

its mounted behind the headlight and as you can see its barely visible

20140928_111035_zps9a4k3hig.jpg

Hey erbi , I cant see those photos as photobucket is blocked on my work application.

Ive PM'd you.

I have been trying to find a digital speedo that can replace the 5th gen analogue one, appreciate I'd have to trash the existing interior, but would be a neat addition. If you go OEM, then use CBR1000RR 04/05 has the same tach red line !

The red line isnt something I look at to be honest. I know when a motor has finished making power.

I dont even look at the speedo, either.... in fact. I dont even know why I need any instruments! Lol

Maybe just to fill the gap inbetween the bars and the headlight and mini-fairing I plan to have there.

:wheel::wheel:

Archived