Pre Minor Facelift, Or Not?

Guest GearDrivenDave

Guest GearDrivenDave

Hi, I have a vfr800 fix which was registered in Jan 2000. All docs and frame say it is a fix but most here mention that the pre facelift was 98/99...

What month in 2000 did they bring out the facelift vfr fiy?

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Are there "condoms" on the mirror stalks? This could have been easily updated by a previous owner but it is the first tell tale sign.

Then post up pics of the top triple and instrument panel as suggested by the knowledgeable WERA910 above.

• Member Contributer

Add the pics to your gallery here (in your profile) and use the "My Media" button above as you reply to insert the pics.

• Member Contributer

Hope it works

It did indeed work.

From those pics it looks like a 98-99 model and it may have an aftermarket header (perhaps a DSS or Delkevic unit to replace a corroded stock mild steel part).

Now that you know how post some more pics of the entire bike.

Welcome aboard!

Yeah definitely replacement s/s downpipes but still stock muffler. Will the make be on the pipes?

According to the paperwork that came with it, the downpipes were replaced in march 2012 for £350 (not inc labour)as part of a £1250 mot bill!

Also changed was front bearings, battery, brake pads, spark plugs, gold chain and sprockets. Quite an overhall.

I will take some better pics tmrw hopefully.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Check the VIN

Look for the letter in the middle

For 5th-gens,

W=1998,

X=1999,

Y=2000

1=2001.

More here.

After checking the vin its a X 1999. Prob a late one.

Could take pics of it all day too!

Had a good look at the downpipes and cant see any makers name on it

post-30952-0-30812700-1412515109.jpg

post-30952-0-16130600-1412515139.jpg

post-30952-0-73219600-1412515168.jpg

post-30952-0-71343600-1412515480.jpg

• Member Contributer

Check the VIN

Look for the letter in the middle

For 5th-gens,

W=1998,

X=1999,

Y=2000

1=2001.

More here.

thanks for posting! Great info :fing02:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

A '99 should also have the manual starter valve lever on the left clipon - replaced by the wax unit on 2000 models.

Your bike looks lovely mate!

Looks like a 98-99 to me too, from what I've spotted whilst on the hunt for one and reading up on here.

Urgh. Still wish i could find a low mileage, immaculate condition 5th gen around me somewhere. Id be very tempted to trade my 6th gen in for one tbh.

• Member Contributer

I just found out where there is an 01 5th gen with 8,500 miles,it's been sitting a long time though and will probably need a lot of work,full givi luggage which I'm not really interested in apart from the monokey topbox rack,asking £2,800 without the luggage and racks.it has a gel seat also.

I could see having to spend a fair few quid on suspension and tyres,it's silver though,I'd prefer red. are the 98-99 bikes better without the 02 sensors and automatic choke?

To the OP,your bike looks fantastic,so sick that I sold my previous 5th gen.

I just found out where there is an 01 5th gen with 8,500 miles,it's been sitting a long time though and will probably need a lot of work,full givi luggage which I'm not really interested in apart from the monokey topbox rack,asking £2,800 without the luggage and racks.it has a gel seat also.

I could see having to spend a fair few quid on suspension and tyres,it's silver though,I'd prefer red. are the 98-99 bikes better without the 02 sensors and automatic choke?

To the OP,your bike looks fantastic,so sick that I sold my previous 5th gen.

Best think fast mate, thatll be gone in no time!

I nearly drive to London (4 hours each way for me) for a 2001 with 8k miles on for £3k i said id set off the next morning and pick it up, unfortunately somebody still got there before me and took it away.

It was on autotrader for less than 48 hours.

Agreed on the colour. Vfr's have to be red IMO.

Archived