8Th Gen Tail Tidy

budorat

Has anyone found a fender eliminator / tail tidy for the 8th gen yet ? I have been search online for a little while now with no success. I am interested in what other 8th gen owners may have found.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like this, its a Competition Werkes fender minimizer kit. Its stainless steel and made for the vfr1200. You just have to cut the tab off of the top to make it fit the vfr800. The OEM piece drops off with one bolt. I used these smaller reflectors to mount it. Since I took the 2nd picture I replaced the plastic OEM bolts with 2 more reflectors.

http://www.competitionwerkes.com/products/Honda/2012/VFR1200/fender-minimizer-kit-1H1200

IMG_04601_zpsb8656766.jpg

IMG_04151_zpsb3c6dbad.jpg

SHvar seems to have found a good solution. I might get one of those. But will hit it with some flat black Cerakote before mounting.

Also want to dump the Schwinn bicycle reflectors hiding the front calipers, but the right one has the cable clip for the abs ring pickup integrated, need to work out a solution for that. (Reaches into tool kit for the Dremel...)

House found this solution, in fact this one on my bike came from him, it was the extra one he had. Amazon also sells the same product maybe a tiny bit less, Im not sure. Give him credit for this one.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks SHvar. I have been communicating with Competition Werks to help them with a pre-modified model (or whatever they decide to produce) for the 8th Gen. It has been a little more involved than I anticipated, but I think they are almost there :)

Thanks SHvar. I have been communicating with Competition Werks to help them with a pre-modified model (or whatever they decide to produce) for the 8th Gen. It has been a little more involved than I anticipated, but I think they are almost there :)

I would be very interested on what you get back from Competition Werks... I emailed them a few weeks ago, have not heard anything back as yet.

I would be very interested on what you get back from Competition Werks... I emailed them a few weeks ago, have not heard anything back as yet.

They are hung up on the tab that I cut off right now and fear that the two side bolts won't be enough to get the insurance folks satisfied. They want to keep the tab I removed and mount that to the light or reflector right now (which is possible.) More to come

• Member Contributer

Quick Public Service Announcement:

I know lots of us hate the way the reflectors look. All those reflectors are there because they are mandated by federal law. And many states incorporate that law by reference into their own laws regarding required lighting and visibility features. And when police in some municipalities become hungry for revenue and eager to hit their quotas, they sometimes write tickets when they discover those reflectors are missing.

Reflectors aside, the thing that nails most consumers when it comes to tail tidy kits is lack of license plate lighting or failure to hook it up. Buyer beware!

• Member Contributer

Interesting thought on the reflectors, I ditched mine long ago. I do have an LED on my licence plate, I had heard of random tickets for no lights and want no part of that!

Keep in mind the license plate frame made by competition werkes does not eliminate the light (you can see it in my photos), in fact the plate is in the same position as the OEM plastic plate holder (maybe a hair closer to the license plate light actually), you are just replacing the plate holder that has the long sail looking fender.

I keep reflectors on my bike so that other drivers have a better chance of seeing me, also because they are required in most places by law. I see alot of tail tidy kits on bikes and plate frames that are illegal for on road use because they eliminate too much required equipment, or those that are installed incomplete to eliminate required safety equipment on purpose.

Same on my bike.... CW is worried that the reflectors might come loose and you would lose your tag, but I don't see it happening. The way SHVAR and I have them mounted is legal (in GA at any rate.)

• 2 weeks later...

Two Dollar Tail Tidy

The blue thing is a stud mount electrical box from True Value Hardware. Cut, painted & drilled as appropriate, it fits snugly without hardware, which I now have to get from the hardware store. Nuts, bolts flat & lock washers should do the trick.

Lighting not affected, & I may use the side reflectors as part of the final mount.

post-31389-0-02153500-1414688539.jpg

post-31389-0-52320800-1414688554.jpg

post-31389-0-78369800-1414688569.jpg

post-31389-0-08898100-1414688595.jpg

post-31389-0-57206900-1414688625.jpg

post-31389-0-29652800-1414688646.jpg

post-31389-0-20972400-1414688664.jpg

• 3 months later...

I just received a reply from R&G, they aren't planning to do one for the 2014 VFR any time soon, which is a shame - the quality of their products is really good. Maybe if a few more of us email them? I've started the ball rolling!!

From their contact:

I will happily forward the info to our production team, if we get enough requests for such a part we would be silly not to look into this.

Greg Hawes

R&G

www.rg-racing.com

Not much point in a tail tidy when a standard UK plate is this big and the traffic police are very hot on smaller ones that can't be picked up by the automatic number recognition cameras, but at least the only reflector that's required here is the rear red one.

post-13632-0-08750200-1423735565.jpg

Not much point in a tail tidy when a standard UK plate is this big and the traffic police are very hot on smaller ones that can't be picked up by the automatic number recognition cameras, but at least the only reflector that's required here is the rear red one.

Wow that's effin HUGE!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A question for the chaps who've removed their stock rear fender (House & SHvar in particular), did you have any trouble removing it?

I'm having a devil of a time undoing the 2 horizontal allen-key bolts on either side of the fender near the stock reflector. The bolts are so tight that the square plate acting as a nut on the inside ends up just turning with the bolt, having force-rotated its' way through the weak plastic guide fitting.

I cant remember if one came off easy by just pressing against it with my fingers, and one I clamped a vice grip to hold it against the surface behind it. Its been a while now. I wonder if yours was not threaded correctly in the first place?

Archived