8Th Gen Tail Tidy

budorat

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a sticker for Datatag which is an anti-theft database used here in UK. http://www.datatag.co.uk/motorcycles.php Because it's on the flat surface below the tail light it's edge-on in that picture which is why it's just a green line.

Datatag works in conjunction with the Master security scheme http://www.masterscheme.org/ which most of the manufacturers have signed up to. It's included in the purchase price of a new bike and all the Datatag chips and markings are applied by the dealer before collection.

Hey, my 100th post! :laugh:

There is now just 1 (lonely!) tail-tidy left from the production batch. Last chance to grab one or potentially miss out!!

At this stage I have no plans to organise another run unless there is a minimum of 12 committed orders.

Just ordered mine, hopefully it's in the Christmas post from Aus! Looking forward to fitting it in the new year with all the snow and ice around. I wonder what the British MOT inspector will make of the reflector, no British Standard mark on that one! Still I have another 18 months before the inspection is due.

Off to the UK bike show at the weekend to buy a smaller number plate to reduce the wind drag!

First one to get these past an MOT in UK should post a reply.

I wonder what the British MOT inspector will make of the reflector, no British Standard mark on that one! Still I have another 18 months before the inspection is due.Off to the UK bike show at the weekend to buy a smaller number plate to reduce the wind drag!

It's a completely reversible modification, take you about 5 minutes to swap everything back - just in case you're in any doubt about passing the Warrant Of Fitness inspection.

Just ordered mine, hopefully it's in the Christmas post from Aus! Looking forward to fitting it in the new year with all the snow and ice around. I wonder what the British MOT inspector will make of the reflector, no British Standard mark on that one! Still I have another 18 months before the inspection is due.

Off to the UK bike show at the weekend to buy a smaller number plate to reduce the wind drag!

Yeah, I wondered about that but MoT isn't due until October 2017 so I'm not going to worry about it. The rear reflector rule is just historic anyway, dating from the days of black number plates with silver letters (nostalgic sigh!). Not much point any more with 60 sq. in. of reflective plate on the back!

• 1 month later...

20150719_141619_zps14etmouy.jpg

The last remaining Tail Tidy from the production batch was snapped up after Christmas, but this week I've had two more queries from 8th-Gen owners. To cater to anyone who missed the first batch, I'll post an "Interest List." If there is a minimum of 12 confirmed punters, I'll organise a second production run.

If you're keen to be a part of a future run, please add your name to the list, and also send me a private inbox message with your email address (so that I can reach out to you if/when we reach the minimum viable order size). Payment (AUD $70 + postage) will only be asked for once articles from a second run are ready to be sent.

Interested: (10 so far - as of March 15, 2016)

• MelVFR007
  • huntinggunns (qty. x2)
  • FB29
  • smoke4ndmears
  • mansonitefirefox
  • mkulrey13
  • AB24
  • PearlBlueSoul
  • wmassrider

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Also interested in one. Any idea of postage cost to the UK.

Ditto, one that fits the UK plate size, price posted?

Mine cost about £8 for delivery if I recall but you might also get £10-15 customs charges as Australia remains stubbornly outside the EU. Worth it though, pics on page 5 of this thread. I bought a new plate and cut it down to the absolute legal minimums (11mm margins) before fitting as well.

Mine cost about £8 for delivery if I recall but you might also get £10-15 customs charges as Australia remains stubbornly outside the EU. Worth it though, pics on page 5 of this thread. I bought a new plate and cut it down to the absolute legal minimums (11mm margins) before fitting as well.

Pesky Colonialists indeed. And with continental drift, the cost is only increasing by 0.0001 of a cent every year! Seriously though, I just checked AustraliaPost's postage calculator and was utterly amazed to see that the price to the UK has NOT gone up this year, so still AUD$18.20 for AirMail delivery.

Please PM me if you'd like to put your name down;- that will tip the scales to reach minimum order size, and I'll contact the fabricators on Monday.

• Member Contributer

Alternately send it classed as a used part or as a gift or alter the value of the item so is below the threshold. That is how to avoid the at or customs charge.

Alternately send it classed as a used part or as a gift or alter the value of the item so is below the threshold. That is how to avoid the at or customs charge.

That's what I do on the Australian Customs declaration form;- they're sent marked as a Gift. I don't believe any of the UK recipients have been charged extra upon arrival?

That's what I do on the Australian Customs declaration form;- they're sent marked as a Gift. I don't believe any of the UK recipients have been charged extra upon arrival?

I was, about £10 plus the Post Office fixed fee for handling it.

Unlucky, I was not charged anything. Looks a treat, especially with a slightly smaller UK number plate. I can post photos if required. I have kept the old plate and holder for the MOT next year. Fits in 5 mins.

I was, about £10 plus the Post Office fixed fee for handling it.

Bastards. Okay, memo to self; in future I'll mark the UK ones as being cheaper than the selling price. But yeah, neither Carlos nor the 2 other UK recipients on VFRW were charged additional customs tax at point-of-entry. This is why I'm anti-government interference in everything. Expecting consistency, quality of service, or sometimes even justice, is simply beyond a State entity with no skin in the game and no motivation to be accountable.

• 4 weeks later...

Production Run #2 Update:

H6SCVbI.jpg

Reflectors have arrived, laser-cutters are done, assembly and tolerance-testing have been completed. Today it's off to the powdercoater; once he's finished, they'll be ready to send out. As you can see, this batch was for 30 units, half of which are allocated. If you'd like to order one of the available ones, please let me know. If you've already put your name down, I'll be letting you know via email.

Cheers - Cam

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, F6bguy said:

Is it to late to get one of these?

Not at all. Send me your email and delivery address details. I'm hoping to pick them up from the powdercoater's this weekend; they'll be immediately ready to send then.

Archived