8Th Gen Tail Tidy

budorat

I've completed my design for a tail-tidy/fender eliminator specific to the 2014+ VFR-800. I'm now in the process of prototyping it. My design includes a High Intensity Prismatic (HIP) film reflector to satisfy the roadworthy requirements of most places - oh and the reflector will have the VFR logo-type on it. The plate mount will accommodate Australian, US, & UK numberplate sizes (probably others as well but those are the sizes I checked), and each tail-tidy will be made from 2mm aircraft-grade aluminium that will be finished with a weather-proof matte black powdercoat.

Let me know if you'd be interested in one; larger production volumes will naturally drop the per-unit price. VFRD discourages advertising and fair enough, but my goal here is to provide something that enhances the look of our bikes that's so far missing from the marketplace.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious, what is the reason for the extra 44mm tapered part extending below the plate? I would prefer nothing visible below the plate. Other than that, I like it and would be interested in getting one.

Same question as DriverDave, I assume that will be to support the larger number plates of other countries. Would it be possible to make two versions, one without for North American market and one with for the world market?

Same question as DriverDave, I assume that will be to support the larger number plates of other countries. Would it be possible to make two versions, one without for North American market and one with for the world market?

Great question, and your assumption is correct - it's to support long UK plates, and jurisdictions where a stone-guard of minimum length is mandated. It's also a great place to mount extra reflectors, registration labels, flag, state, or club stickers, or indeed anything else you wish.

To produce 2 versions would increase the production cost, and I'm trying to keep the per unit cost as low as possible whilst still making a quality item that suits the broadest range of our VFR rider community... so I guess it comes down to how much you're willing to pay? Size-wise, my design raises the plate 40mm higher than stock, and cuts the extension below the plate down from 82mm stock to 42mm (2mm of the 44mm extension is behind the plate already).

I can live with that answer. Plus, we can always trim and file that extra bit off, just above the bottom of the plate so you can't see the trimmed edge. I'm still interested, even with only one design for everyone. :tour:

• 2 weeks later...

Prototyping Update. Some further adjustments still needed, but overall I'm happy with the fabrication & design. I'm now just waiting on the new reflectors to confirm that everything fits nicely. Then it's full steam ahead with the production batch, powdercoating, and assembly ready for delivery.

Question for those who've expressed an interest:- Are you happy to drill your own numberplate-mounting holes? That way you can tailor it to your specific numberplate size. I've had one-size-fits-many tail-tidies in the past, but they never seemed to fit the spacings I wanted to use for my mounting bolts. The material is 2mm aluminium, so a battery drill with a metal or riveting drill-bit will do the trick.

post-18826-0-52959600-1429096711.jpg

post-18826-0-68311600-1429096762.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update:

The two Mk.1 prototypes that I made have been sent out for testing by forum members, and already some good feedback has been received for incorporation into a production batch. Overall I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out.

At special request, I converted the Mk.1s into shorty versions like the one seen below/right. My original plan was to do the production run articles with enough length to support taller plates (i.e. UK), but unless there's demand for the longer version (see bottom left), I might just do the shorties exclusively... What do you guys think?

If you're keen to order one, now is the time to let me know, and which style you'd prefer. Final price will depend on the style selected and size of the production run.

post-18826-0-98723800-1432785364.jpg

post-18826-0-60101600-1432785441.jpg

post-18826-0-69104100-1432785454.jpg

More photos of fitted examples to follow. (Ignore the off-center reflector placement in the photo; it hasn't been peeled & stuck on yet)

I'm really happy with my new tail tidy!! It really improves the look of the back of the bike, without looking like a squid with his plate tucked up under the fender. I would call it the perfect, factory looking fender eliminator.

post-20863-0-62077700-1432860511.jpg

post-20863-0-68084300-1432860596.jpg

post-20863-0-03148100-1432860679.jpg

post-20863-0-65939400-1432860795.jpg

PM sent, I'll take a shorty please.

Hey Cam,

Are you on any of the VFR Facebook pages ? I think you would get some interest if you post in there too.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yay, we have 12 orders! :cheerleader:

On Monday, I'll contact the laser cutters and arrange for them to commence the production run. Then once I have the components are back, I'll get on to the powdercoaters, assemble, and arrange individual deliveries. If you haven't already, please send me your delivery address via private message or email (nz.cam@hotmail.com).

If you're not on the list but would still like to order one, that's cool too;- the production batch will be for 24 in total. BUT, once those are gone, that's it. I designed and organised these as a service to the VFR community, but it's not my day job. Please also note too that they come undrilled as far as numberplate placement goes. You'll need to drill your own holes, but on the positive side, you'll have absolute surety that the holes match your specific plate.

Cheers - Cam

Or you can just... You kno........kinda

Took me ten minutes because i was looking for my drill for seven.

Had to run out real quick...I'll clean it up later

post-19994-0-61907200-1436017805.jpg

post-19994-0-24313500-1436017856.jpg

post-19994-0-37887100-1436017882.jpg

post-19994-0-78895600-1436018016.jpg

post-19994-0-16647400-1436018064.jpg

post-19994-0-91378600-1436018182.jpg

post-19994-0-27571800-1436018314.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

The production batch is back from the laser-cutters, so this weekend I completed the riveting, welding, and tolerance testing. Next, they're off to the powder-coaters, then it's just a case of sticking on the reflector logos and mailing them out.

If you haven't already, please send through your delivery address. If you want to order a tail-tidy, there's still time to do so as I made 12 extras - but those shown in the pic will be the only batch. Get 'em now or miss out!! :fing02:

post-18826-0-50569200-1437292015.jpg

Cheers - Cam

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I'm sending out orders this coming week, so if you haven't already jumped on it, please check your email for a PayPal invoice. For any riders looking to snap up an available tail-tidy before they're all gone, the VFR forum price is AUD $65 ea. (USD $48.25 as of this morning's exchange rate). Airmail shipping depends on where in the world you are (currently AUD $14.30 to the US and Canada, $8.25 around Australia). The rest will go on eBay at a higher price (no forum discount, plus eBay takes a cut).

If you've previously put your hand up, please let me know that you're still keen, and your delivery & email address.

Forum Member: Location: Version: Comments: Order Status:
Allyance California Mk.1 Shorty Delivered Paid
DriverDave Colorado Mk.1 Shorty Delivered Paid
NZCam Victoria Mk.2 Long Delivered Paid
Dogman South Australia Prod. Shorty Delivered Paid

budorat Canberra Prod. Shorty Delivered Paid

pbg07 Queensland Prod. Shorty Delivered Paid

SHvar Pennsylvania Prod. Shorty Delivered Paid

Bravastar1 Colorado Prod. Shorty Delivered Paid

Sammich New Jersey Prod. Shorty Delivered Paid

gotpowr New Jersey Prod. Shorty Posted Paid

AndyP Illinois Prod. Shorty Delivered Paid

skillet Texas Prod. Shorty Posted Paid

cmlease Maryland Prod. Shorty Delivered Paid

rystew08 Ontario Prod. Shorty Delivered Paid

vfrfly British Columbia ? Qty. 2 Interested

Mgsst23 Pennsylvania ? Interested

Shinigami USA ? Interested

• 4 weeks later...

Work is sending me to Calgary, AB next week at short notice for 3 weeks. I'm going to take 4 of the remaining tail-tidies with me (thankfully they pack away nicely). If you want to snap one of those up for whatever the postage cost is from Calgary, jump in. First-come, first-served.

• 3 months later...

This is what a legal-minimum-size UK plate looks like on Cam's tail tidy. Still a bit of an air-brake but not as bad as it was! Thanks mate.

Replaced the captive plates inside the tail with locknuts & washers. I was having problems getting them tightened as the plates kept spinning once removed from their slots in the OE plate holder so it was much easier to get a spanner in there onto a nut.

post-13632-0-28252200-1448838241.jpg

post-13632-0-61179700-1448838248.jpg

post-13632-0-68616700-1448838265.jpg

post-13632-0-58777400-1448838275.jpg

Archived