49 State Cams

MiniCarver

When i check the internet, apparently these states adhere to California Emissions Standards

"Other states which currently adhere to California emissions rules may choose to adopt the same mandate as well; those states include Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont."

Does anyone positively know whether Honda places California cams or 49 state cams in bikes that were originally sold in these 9 states.

• Member Contributer

The last thing I read was NO there bike's all ready met all states emissions's standards.

In other words all of the 6th gens that were sold were all the same no matter what state they were sold in .

When i check the internet, apparently these states adhere to California Emissions Standards

"Other states which currently adhere to California emissions rules may choose to adopt the same mandate as well; those states include Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont."

Does anyone positively know whether Honda places California cams or 49 state cams in bikes that were originally sold in these 9 states.

When it comes to the vfr 6th gen, as switch mentioned they are all the same in Cal and the rest of the states.. Now when it comes to other bikes, its normally not the cams that are different but the emissions, usually a pair valve system and fuel vapor recovery sytem, required to meet Cal specs, but not necessary in other states.

Edited by spud786

The 5th Gen has different cams for California and other states. I'm trying to determine if the 5th gen engine in Massachusetts has the Cams from California as well.

http://www.ronayers.com/CAMSHAFT-C208009.aspx

On the parts fische there is one cam for each 49 state and California. I'm trying to determine which cam is for which.

• Member Contributer

For the 98 parts diagrams they have a VFR800FI A and VFR800FI AC with different part numbers for the cams... C is for Cali. since that one also has an evap canister in the parts list. Different part numbers for the PGM FI unit as well. This may have changed after switching to a cat in the exhaust.

• Member Contributer

The last thing I read was NO there bike's all ready met all states emissions's standards.

In other words all of the 6th gens that were sold were all the same no matter what state they were sold in .

Ah pre cat only .

• Member Contributer

The 5th Gen has different cams for California and other states. I'm trying to determine if the 5th gen engine in Massachusetts has the Cams from California as well.

http://www.ronayers.com/CAMSHAFT-C208009.aspx

On the parts fische there is one cam for each 49 state and California. I'm trying to determine which cam is for which.

Honda only states Cali or 49 states for the early 5th gens... not 41 states. Those states may have jumped on the Cali bandwagon but I do not believe they did it before Y2K...

There is a difference in the engine serial number for the Cali engines, the other engines have the 49 state cams... I'm traveling so I don't have my book to elaborate with specific details; hopefully, someone can provide the details.

PS: The throttle body ID #'s are different and will tell you if it a Cali engine too...

Does the VIN of the bike it came off start with JH2RC460 or JH2RC461?

Edited by Rush2112

• Member Contributer

My '98 is a CA model - vin goes JH2RC4610xxxxxxxxx. There are some obvious difference for the Ca models. - Charcole canister. - Evap control solenoid valve on right side of bike. - Vacuum emission routing is from the solenoid valve and splits into 4. Hard to miss all that. Yet when I bought mine, checking the see if the bike was a Ca model wasnt even on the radar. Dunno how a Ca model makes it to Ohio.

VRFcapn did the cam switch and verified there is about 1mm more lift in the 49 state cams.

If you go to Partzilla, they break it into 49state and Ca models.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2001/parts.html

Looks like the shorter lobe height cams are P/n --141x0 - MBG- 770 ......and the taller lobe height cams are p/n - 141x0- MGB- 000

• Member Contributer

The screenshot below is from the 5thGen manual and shows the difference in gross lift between the Cal and Non-Cal cams.

post-25941-0-36596400-1411447746.jpg

Hope this helps

Phil

• Like 1