kyojitsu

I bought my bike with an aftermarket muffler/end can branded 'Fuel' already fitted - made here in UK as far as I can tell http://fuelexhausts.com/ - with standard headers and collector box.

It sounded pretty good, not too loud but much better than stock. However, last week I was in a tinkering mood and decided to remove the baffle just for fun.

It now sounds like a NASCAR :biggrin: and feels more responsive on the throttle - also feels like i've gained 10bhp!

Is that my imagination? Is it the fine sounding exhaust convincing me or is there actually quite a bit to be liberated from these engines?

Well yeah - I exaggerate. I'm just curious if anyone has ever dyno'd or proved that 5th gen VFRs can be encouraged to a few % gains just with baffle removal or other simple mods. Not just horspeower but response, mid range, torque etc

I remember the Suzuki 1200 Bandit had about the most tuneable engine ever - even sticking an end can on it made a big difference.

• Member Contributer

The answer to the question is many have tried & none have produced any useful results without a fuel corrector, like a PC3.

As standard the 5th gen punts out 94-96rwhp (dynojet dyno) this has been repeated many times.

With an air filter (no real gains) & a free flowing slipon, you might see a horse or two at peak, that's it. Also depends on which 5th gen you have ?

Early 98/99 bikes were O2 sensor & cat free & used larger primary header pipes, many have swapped from late model 00/01 & Vtec bikes to 98/99 headers, or copies there of to gain 3-4HP with a filter & slipon, again if you want a good throttle response & an extra horse or two, then you need a fuel corrector system.

My Y2K model with Motad headers, Delkevic short pipe, K&N & airbox/intake mods made 98hp on the dyno, upped that to 102hp with a PC3 & a custom tune. So approx 7hp over stock. With additional mods to cams & custom tune, that went to 107hp & now with additional intake mods, its up to 112hp or 17hp or nearly 18% over stock The biggest difference is in the throttle response & getting rid of the snatchy response off a closed throttle. All of that drive improvement is in the PC3 & custom tune.

Hi all I recently purchased a blue & gold vtec 800 2004 model and love it however at this moment in time I havn't sat my test yet but had to buy it as I fell in love .i no it's a bit late but just wondering have I made a mistake or have I made a good choice can't wait to get on it hopefully pass test in October and geared up for new year cheers

More noise sounds like more power.

Sounds better. Weighs a bit less, not that I can tell when I ride.

That's about it though. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Hi all I recently purchased a blue & gold vtec 800 2004 model and love it however at this moment in time I havn't sat my test yet but had to buy it as I fell in love .i no it's a bit late but just wondering have I made a mistake or have I made a good choice can't wait to get on it hopefully pass test in October and geared up for new year cheers

Off topic. You have an outstanding bike. Ride safely

Some might say that choosing a 530 lb. 800 cc motorcycle without so much as having passed a licensing test is a recipe for disaster. Better learn on something a bit smaller before you find out how expensive a drop can be.

Back on topic- there are several opportunities to increase HP output on the 800 V4. None are both cheap and effective. Effective is expensive. Since the current configuration is an integrated, engineered package, you also will find that past a certain threshold (reached, for example, with an SC kit) you start breaking things further down the drive line.

Archived