Front Brake Rotors

VFROZ

• Member Contributer

My front rotors have a bit of play on the bobbins, enough to rotate a few millimeters back and forth.

They make a clicking sound when you brake, specially if the bike rolled backwards before taking off.

I found these on fleabay, and wondered if anyone has used them.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Front-Brake-Discs-Rotors-for-HONDA-XL1000V-Varadero-GL1500-Valkyrie-VFR800F-/361001068517?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item540d5727e5

They look OK, and seem to have a good finish, but they are Chinese.

What do you think?

• Member Contributer

I replaced mine for similar reasons & now have approx 4K miles on them with no issues, including multiple descents down Alpine switch backs in the summer. Just buy from a reputable seller.

• Member Contributer

bobbins should allow some free play side to side..slip fit..but front to back play of a few mm...sounds fishy.

• Member Contributer

Bike now has 78000k's on it, and it started doing it not long ago.

At least I've only noticed it not long ago, but seems to have got worse fast.

Anyone else have this problem?

I have it on my right disc. I think its not a big deal. There is only clicking and the mechanic told me it is ok. I'll leave them for now and when i find some cash I'll throw new rotors and pads. Mohawk do you use standard front end?

If you want no movement(the way its designed), go to a fixed rotor. In the last 20 or 25 years since floating rotors came to market, the vfr's rotors is the tightest Ive ever seen. they are supposed to move to easily align when braking, clicks are just a side effect with metal to metal contact and movement. I recall back in 92, my kx250's were so loose they actually rattled.

I've got an OEM set that i don't need anymore. I'll sell em cheap, and i'm in sydney so you could even pick them up so no postage.

I haven't measured the thickness of them, but if your'e interested, i'll measure them tonight.

• Member Contributer

I've got an OEM set that i don't need anymore. I'll sell em cheap, and i'm in sydney so you could even pick them up so no postage.

I haven't measured the thickness of them, but if your'e interested, i'll measure them tonight.

Bugger, I wish I had known before, I've already ordered some from Fleabay a few days ago.

I bought these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251617828748?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

But if they turn out to be crap, I'll call you on it, thanks for the offer.

If you want no movement(the way its designed), go to a fixed rotor. In the last 20 or 25 years since floating rotors came to market, the vfr's rotors is the tightest Ive ever seen. they are supposed to move to easily align when braking, clicks are just a side effect with metal to metal contact and movement. I recall back in 92, my kx250's were so loose they actually rattled.

I can understand side to side movement, as that is what they were designed to do, but rotational movement I've not seen on any other bike I've looked at.

They were not like that a year ago, and now they are starting to worry me.

On my last ride up to a known bike stop, I checked a few different bikes, and not one of them had that type of movement.

• Member Contributer

The bobbins on floating disk brakes are supposed to move freely. That's how they "float".

Here is a YouTube video I came across that shows how to free them if they do not move.

Very informative.

• Member Contributer

I spoke with the EBC tech rep in the UK (I have a set of EBC Pro-Lite's)

They had never heard of this procedure nor would they recommend it.

If one insist on doing this, he said to be very careful not to over torque the nut/bolt as it may damage the bobbin.

Now, if you went ahead and it solved your issue, do post up here :goofy:

• Member Contributer

If one insist on doing this, he said to be very careful not to over torque the nut/bolt as it may damage the bobbin.

I did not do it to solve a problem. It just seemed like a good idea.

No problems before; no problems after.

So this is NOT ADVISED?

If so, I stand corrected.

• Member Contributer

The bobbins on floating disk brakes are supposed to move freely. That's how they "float".

Here is a YouTube video I came across that shows how to free them if they do not move.

Very informative.

How much back to front movement do you have on yours?

• Member Contributer

My grip is not strong enough to "spin" them myself. A strong friend was able to move them, with some difficulty.

• Member Contributer

I did not do it to solve a problem. It just seemed like a good idea.

No problems before; no problems after.

So this is NOT ADVISED?

If so, I stand corrected.

I can't see any problem with the cleaning part, but I probably wouldn't want to use the oil on my discs...

Ciao,

I think that fellow should use an even LONGER bolt.

But it looks like it would work fine. I can imagine over tightening them would be an issue. If fact I might try an easy out on mine. I bet that would make EBC crap themselves.

Archived