Oil Cooler Upgrade. Effectiveness Q's

vfrAustin

• Member Contributer

I recently modified my 99 VFR800 to a naked and used one side radiator at the front. I relocated the stock oil cooler to the front lower area behind the headers. My concern is that the smaller rad, although in a better location up front, may not keep the engine cool enough.

There is plenty of room for a larger, much larger, oil cooler. Should this be a great help in keeping the engine cool? Are oil coolers very effective in cooling? I do not want to change my rad set up.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

post-25867-0-50165400-1411227768.jpg

Do you know how warm it runs when operating? Does the fan kick on? Thermostat work?

I ask this because oil in a water-cooled engine is not so much a player on temp control as an air/oil cooled one, and the front-mounted radiator VFR's run notoriously cool, so a big oil cooler is not only not needed, but some completely get rid of it.

If you are running cool operating temps (165-195) most of the time, I say nay.

• Member Contributer

I just got it all going. For now, the fan is on a switch without a stat. I am getting something to read out temp soon. Probably the inline hose sensor with digital readout. I have been riding it and today actually rode her for a solid 100 miles with no problems. Granted, it is cooler outside now. I guess the temp gauge will tell the tale. I would really like to do the rad I have now with the larger oil cooler and have that work for all ambient temps.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

So you need a thermostat to let the engine run at a reasonable and stable internal temperature. Hopefully you didn't just remove the thermostat. The dash panel, that is now gone, displayed the internal engine temp and not the temp that turns on the fan. They are separate and operate independently.

The fan & switch are a simple relationship. There should be no real reason to add a switch unless it is running too hot and you want to run the fan more frequently. If i recall correctly, the thermocouple (switch) that turns on the fan is, or was, in the left radiator. You should still use it, but not to control the "engine operating temp". That has to be controlled by the thermostat.

• Member Contributer

So you need a thermostat to let the engine run at a reasonable and stable internal temperature. Hopefully you didn't just remove the thermostat. The dash panel, that is now gone, displayed the internal engine temp and not the temp that turns on the fan. They are separate and operate independently.

The fan & switch are a simple relationship. There should be no real reason to add a switch unless it is running too hot and you want to run the fan more frequently. If i recall correctly, the thermocouple (switch) that turns on the fan is, or was, in the left radiator. You should still use it, but not to control the "engine operating temp". That has to be controlled by the thermosta

The "Thermostat" is in the bike. I called the thermostatically controlled fan switch a "stat" by mistake.

Thanks

Oil coolers are very effective at reducing oil temps, as to whether you can get away without one, Id say yes, but Id run a very high end synthetic like Redline, with very high flash points for test purposes.

Not trying "get away without one" in the scenario that the engine temps are averaging higher than normal, I want to increase the size of the oil cooler. Has anyone increased the size of their oil cooler with a notable decrease in engine temps?

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Is there enough clearance under that rad for the front wheel ? It might hit at full compression !

The oil cooler can help, a bigger one would reduce the temp of the oil returned, but it would work better if placed in front of the header pipes. The cooler lines on the VFR feed the cooled oil to the high pressure pump pickup chamber, so it will have an effect.

That said the oil needs to be at a reasonable temperature to do its job properly. Too cold allows sloppy plain bearing fit, to hot causes seizure, so there are limits, as oil was NOT intended specifically as a coolant in this engine.

Looks good.

I'm using a 4 row off an RC51 down low behind the headers. The TLR rad works so well i'm thinking about deleting the cooler.

If you decide to get a bigger oil cooler, get a generic one with standard fittings - easier than bending the vfr hard lines.

I'm also running the RC51 oil cooler. Changed out the radiator fan to a VTR fan which blows the other way. The engine cools down much faster when you are moving but if you happen to be stuck in traffic on a hot day, the temp goes up & stays there. The stock fan was the opposite--cooled nicely in traffic but not at all on the highway on a very hot day.

• Member Contributer
I'm using a 4 row off an RC51 down low behind the headers. The TLR rad works so well i'm thinking about deleting the cooler.

If you decide to get a bigger oil cooler, get a generic one with standard fittings - easier than bending the vfr hard lines.[/quote

Good stuff Keep! I keep thinking about those bush guards you got on yours. Ummmmm?

I'm also running the RC51 oil cooler. Changed out the radiator fan to a VTR fan which blows the other way. The engine cools down much faster when you are moving but if you happen to be stuck in traffic on a hot day, the temp goes up & stays there. The stock fan was the opposite--cooled nicely in traffic but not at all on the highway on a very hot day.

Your Geographic region? Climate?

I put on a larger 3-row cooler on my 1999, from a 1986 VFR750, and it definetly helped with the running temps in hot weather.

If you're looking to go bigger, get a 4-row oil cooler off an RC51. That should do ya. RC51oilcooler1Large.jpg

I got my eyes out for one. That's the ticket.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

I'm running the VTR fan as well, and it does fine for what I do. --- I think what it really comes down to is that it's better to tune the cooling gear to your own specific environment that you find your ride in the most.

Every streetfighter needs knuckles, Austin.

If you lane split, the hand guards are essential, nothing worse than misjudging a mirror and clipping it with your brake lever. If you have a radial MC, you will need ones that give more clearance for the lever- look for ones for supermotos.

• Member Contributer

Ok,a couple updates. I installed a thermometer but did not install the oil cooler yet.

Conditions of ride. 80 degrees and full

Sun.

post-25867-0-78230400-1411839478.jpg

I installed this thermometer that extends into the right side of the rad. Yes, some call it a meat thermometer. A thermometer is a thermometer.

I was averaging 180 to 190 degrees. In town I saw 200 at low speeds.

• Member Contributer

I installed this thermometer that extends into the right side of the rad. Yes, some call it a meat thermometer. A thermometer is a thermometer.

I was averaging 180 to 190 degrees. In town I saw 200 at low speeds.

AWESOME!!!!!! :fing02::beer:

just how did you do it?

:comp13:

• Member Contributer

Be sure the length is a match. Heat range is perfect and glass lens. Get drill bit with exact match. Exact, test on sacrificial metal. Drill at desired location. Very thin so very easy hole. Add high temp silicone to top of shaft and area that will seat. Insert and walk away. Let cure. Done, $7.68

• Member Contributer

dude.. you drilled a hole in a pressured system and used silicone to hold it??? :unsure::ohmy::huh:

how long has it been on there? :comp13::cool:

i really thought you trimmed that shafter and epoxied the sucker or something .. never guessed you drilled a hole.

• Member Contributer

Yes I did and rode for hours minutes after I installed actually. There is a nice ample footprint for a gasket to form. Got a good ride in. Time will tell. No reason for me to feel it will fail. If it does I just use a dab of JB. We are talking a tiny perfectly plugged hole. Each there own.

• Member Contributer

"Dudes" , it will hold. I did advanced hydrodynamic calculations. Plus, the cap blows at something like 16 so that is all it will need to hold. Stop worrying, it,s just metal..

• Member Contributer

Did you test that meat thermometer? I bought one, and it wasn't close to being accurate. When a glass of ice water registered at 24F, it got tossed in the 'not for flight' parts bin.

• Member Contributer

Someday I will test. Now I ride!!!!

And if it doesn't hold, you know where to go to have that tiny hole welded up...[/quote

Thank you in advance, maybe? Fat lady is silent...