Your Winter Project

maxredline

• Member Contributer

Well its time to plan the winter project/maintenance on my fifth gen.

As she sits she has 57K Kms with SW motech pannier bracket with Shad bags, Oxford grip warmers, Power commander 3, Vfrness bundle, Staintune muffler.

I have thought of selling and buying something newer but the 5th gen is everything i need in a bike and frankly what new bike can match it? other than maybe a new VFR. Lets see, upgrades in around $2500+ to spending say $10000+ for a bike you may not like as much...easy for me.

The most obvious thing when looking at the bike is the tires are worn. I plan on replacing them with the same tires which have given me all the grip I need and have worn wonderfully and they are Pirelli angels.

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/motorcycle/sheet/angel_st.html?url=%3Fsubtype%3Droad

I have wanted to upgrade the suspension for awhile now but now that the steering bearing has gone I figure its time. Most new bikes have ball bearing on the steering stem and I am not sure which way I will go but here is an article on that.

http://www.graham.curtis.dsl.pipex.com/Workshop/Steering/steering.htm

When It comes time to do this job I will do some searching and find a way that works for me.

On the front end I plan on removing the forks and taking to a pro that has done work for me in the past. I will have what ever needs done on them but most importantly new springs. I am also going to inspect and replace any bearings, seals and brake parts that may need it at that time.

On the rear end I plan on installing a James Daugherty shock. http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/vfr800.html

While Im at that I will clean and replace all items that need it including linkages, bearings, seals and brake parts.

Finally I may have a tune up done on the engine and have the valve clearances done so that I can have the bike put on the dyno and have the power commander set up.

You guys that have to put your bike away for the winter are so lucky. :pinocchio: All that time to get stuff done and refreshed for the next year.

Since I don't really put mine away, I have to do stuff throughout the year and cut into my riding time. Just sent my Bill Mayer seat off this week to get fixed, so I am back on the stock seat for a couple of weeks. I'll need to do tires soon too. Just got done doing a new stator and R/R last month. Feel fairly lucky it was the first one for both items at 68k miles. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

Well mine will be fit the RB Race when it turns up, then fit the TBR full system & see if I can break the magic 120rwhp figure I've been working towards for the last 4 winters worth of projects.

Oh and maybe a couple of extras, like variable length velocity stacks &/or an atmospheric supercharger !

In wales (UK) winter is the time of year where its a little more wet compared to summer but also is darker earlier, slightly icy outside and when you get to work you can't move your fingers for the first 30 minutes of removing your gloves and crash helmet!

My winter project this year is to do the starter valves and VTEC service of my 6th gen. Oh and change the oil pressure switch and 'o' rings on the front oil cooler pipes. Repair the stone chips on the fuel tank, strip and clean the rear wheel hub, fit a new chain and sprocket set, replace tyres, change clutch fluid. Plus anything else I haven't mentioned or remembered

• Member Contributer

okay I have re-thought this, If the economics work out I am going to order the fork internals from doctor Daugherty. Why not support one who has supported the vfr community. Besides wrenching and drinking is some thing I like (others not so much, lol)

Just need to finish of paying the lawyers re: the ex...and the 2001 will be good for another few years.

• Member Contributer

okay I have re-thought this, If the economics work out I am going to order the fork internals from doctor Daugherty. Why not support one who has supported the vfr community. Besides wrenching and drinking is some thing I like (others not so much, lol)

Just need to finish of paying the lawyers re: the ex...and the 2001 will be good for another few years.

And attend TMac 2015 !!

+1 JMr ...

• Member Contributer

Details and general maintenance. I need to get every open item closed and work on suspension too. Track bike will be used more so New tires and set up. Nothing big just lots of little items that really matter.

Archived