Mirror Extensions

mandavdle

• Member Contributer

I find the VFR1200 2013 mirrors are not too effective. I see my elbows but nothing of what is directly behind me. I do not have any such problem with my other bike (Honda CTX700), but its mirrors are positioned much further out from the centerline of the bike. Does anybody use bar end mirrors, convex inserts, aftermarket mirrors of some type to alleviate this problem?

Right after I bought my 6th Gen, I was on a turnpike doing 75 mph slowly passing a semi. I heard something and though it was wind then looked behind me and it was an state trouper - red light and siren. I got out of his way and he was down the road but I have no idea how long he was behind me because my mirrors were useless. I bought the extenders and they make a big difference. They fit under the mirror mount, an easy install. Not sure about the ones for newer models.

15121691619_ce25f491f6_z.jpg

there were some mirror extenders for the vfr12...they were from a co. in Europe they also made the plugs for the swing arm pivot and some other accessories.... it was a plastic (i think) block that bolted thru the oem mirror mounts and had another set of holes a few inches over that the stock mirror bolts to....saw them on Ebay a while ago, not any more....

i have the same problem, have to tuck my elbows in to see behind

• Member Contributer

http://www.thurn-motorsport.de/html/verkleidung-sc63.html

51-SPV063_gesamt.jpg

Gerhard Thurn does sell some stuff via Ebay but his is a small outfit with high quality parts.

Drop him an email if you want to order. He takes paypall :-)

I purchased the MoTech extenders from Twisted Throttle that look exactly like Duchy's and happy with the rear view.

Duchy I noticed you have (factory??) fairing extenders. How do they help? Notice any wind noise change with them?

• Member Contributer

Those fairing extenders were kindly given to me by Douglasthecook, who -I think- got them a while back when someone here on VFRD made them.

did not noticed any change in windnoise, I have removed the snorkel in front of the airbox so that pretty much drones out and wind noise from the mirrors... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

I purchased the MoTech extenders from Twisted Throttle that look exactly like Duchy's and happy with the rear view.

Duchy I noticed you have (factory??) fairing extenders. How do they help? Notice any wind noise change with them?

Dutchy/Andy,

The MoTech extenders are indeed available in US, imported from Germany by Twisted Throttle, albeit on back order. They offer up 40mm width increase per side versus the 30mm per side on the Thurn items which look like they attach the same way. Thanks for the referals. I had found nothing suitable until I posted here. What a great site for new folks on VFRs!

Sharing VFR info at it's best here. I'm glad you noted the difference in extensions. I would have been hesitant to have my mirrors stick out so far till I "discovered" they fold in so I can still get inbetween tight spaces parking. How did I discover this: a one...maybe 2 mph tip over. The mirror just folded in. I ordered engine/trans case covers and frame sliders as well as the mirror extensions from Twisted Throttle.

Those fairing extenders were kindly given to me by Douglasthecook, who -I think- got them a while back when someone here on VFRD made them.

Did the 7th gen sprout NACA ducts when I wasn't looking? When did you get a 7th gen?!

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

No my lottery boat is yet to come in..

I own a slightly modified 4th gen with mirror extenders...

.post-8974-0-87531300-1411162116.jpg

Just goes to show how individuals vary. Having only just finally got a VFR1200 recently and riding it in earnest for the first time, I was very pleased to find the mirrors provide the best rearward vision of any bike I've ridden (apart from cruiser with high and wide bars). But then I'm coming more from a sports bike background and I can tell you, they are hopeless in comparison to the VFR's mirrors.

So I'm totally happy with them, but this thread is all about how they're not very good. As I said, we're all different, very different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It depends on the rider too - I am wide (fat) so my elbows get in the way - so I always have to fit extenders on all my bikes

On VFR as I was not keen on the extenders - I fitted mirrors with blind spot - it helps - but still have great views of my elbows - especially my left one - not sure why?

Not sure if anyone makes longer arms for the mirrors?

yeah, i'm broad shouldered and i do the elbow tuck without even thinking about it now....and what's up with the left side, i noticed it on my Valkyrie too, i thought i was getting lopsided or something !!! after i swapped the bars on the Valk to a narrower Sportster type bend the left mirror was useless but the right was still ok...put a VTX1800 mirror , which is a couple of inches wider,on the left, and now they are about even.....i'm glad it's not just me !!!....i'd like to get the extenders for the VFR and paint them silver

• 11 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Yesterday I mounted the mirror extenders from SW-Motortech to my 2013 VFR1200 (see attached). Not the most elegant thing to behold but certainly effective. I now see more than my shoulders and elbows. Easy to install, but needed the service manual to understand where the bosses and clips are located. I picked up the kit when traveling in Germany, but they are happy to send to a US address via PaPal payment.

www.sw-cb.com

post-31052-0-45335800-1441061600.jpg

Archived