Rapidbike Evo And Racing Related Questions !

RapidBikeUSA

• Member Contributer

No, I talked to Yaman about this already. The rapid bike evo and racing come defaulted for 2 narrow band factory sensors (left bank and right bank). Then if you use my tuning bike, you must select to run 1, 2 or 4 wide band o2 sensor mode. All the o2 sensors piggy back into each other, so if you want to run 4 wide band o2 sensor mode (where you can tune each cylinder individually) the rapid bike needs to be able to recognize that all four MTB's are present.

Trust me I wanted to do it this way, because buying 4 MTB's was expensive, but even if you could tune one at a time, it would take forever and as you tuned one cylinder to be optimal the other three would indirectly be tuning to be less optimal. You would be running around in circles forever....

Honestly I would be more than happy to give you guys my map to save you the money and trouble, but I have a full race header and over bore throttle bodies so my tuning is wayyyy off. But I will be more than happy to lend a hand and tuning advice :)

Can you load individual maps for each cylinder even if you don't have 4 MTBs? If yes, then couldn't I allow the RB Race to collect data and develop an adjustment table but only load that adjustment map into the desired cylinder?

I don't mind riding 1,000 miles to save $1,000... :goofy:

I've got two 5th gens I'm trying to work with... I appreciate your offer to share your map but with your mods and different gen we really are talking apples & oranges here...

Edited by Rush2112

Just had a software update from the system checker on PC. No idea what was added or upgraded, anyone know ?

Windows 8 compatibility stuff? i really don't know this one...

No, I talked to Yaman about this already. The rapid bike evo and racing come defaulted for 2 narrow band factory sensors (left bank and right bank). Then if you use my tuning bike, you must select to run 1, 2 or 4 wide band o2 sensor mode. All the o2 sensors piggy back into each other, so if you want to run 4 wide band o2 sensor mode (where you can tune each cylinder individually) the rapid bike needs to be able to recognize that all four MTB's are present.

Trust me I wanted to do it this way, because buying 4 MTB's was expensive, but even if you could tune one at a time, it would take forever and as you tuned one cylinder to be optimal the other three would indirectly be tuning to be less optimal. You would be running around in circles forever....

Honestly I would be more than happy to give you guys my map to save you the money and trouble, but I have a full race header and over bore throttle bodies so my tuning is wayyyy off. But I will be more than happy to lend a hand and tuning advice :)

Can you load individual maps for each cylinder even if you don't have 4 MTBs? If yes, then couldn't I allow the RB Race to collect data and develop an adjustment table but only load that adjustment map into the desired cylinder?

I don't mind riding 1,000 miles to save $1,000... :goofy:

I've got two 5th gens I'm trying to work with... I appreciate your offer to share your map but with your mods and different gen we really are talking apples & oranges here...

I would call Yaman on the phone and speak to him directly. I'm almost positive that Yaman and I had this same conversation prior to me buying the kit and it wasn't possible.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Traction control

Engine braking control (fuel cut eliminator)

Quick shifter control

Air fuel ratio read out and on the fly target control

Launch control

Rpm and throttle position read out (on fly by wire bikes this works as cruise control too)

I'm not going to try and sell you guys on traction control for a 100 HP bike, but launch control is f$%&ing awesome! And everything else functions marvelously.

I never needed to do any dyno work, as my bike is now auto tuning. But if anyone wants to meet me at a dyno shop in the central Florida area for a baseline run, I would be more than happy to do some pulls and post up the numbers for you guys.

Edited by CandyRedRC46

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi Guys,

I have just joined the forum , we are Cycle Pro - RapidBike USA distributor (One and only ) our web site is www.rapidbike.us and my goal here is not to promote a product but rather answer questions that are related to RapidBike Racing and Evo modules along with accesories and RapidBike Master software, ...

Y.T.

Hi Yaman,

I purchased my Rapid Bike Racing for my 5th gen VFR 800 (98 - 01) during the initial buy-in to get this project off the ground. We knew the unit was specifically for the 6th gen but we figured we could get it to work with the 5th gen; 2 members are currently using it on 5th gen engines. The website states the 5th gen RB Racing will be available soon, will this be a software/firmware upgrade that I can have done on my RB Racing module?

Also, are you offering VFRD members discounts for the My Tuning bike and RapidBikeQuick Shifter?

Please let me know the answers to these 3 questions. Thanks...

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Hi Guys

There is an update to the Rapidbike software (Version 2.6.9 or something like that) that gives new mappings and a change to the number of maps that you can run on the 6th Gen VFRs.

They have changed the cyl numbering so as the correct cyl and pipes are mapped so as if you run 2 maps the OEM O2 sensors are correctly read.

Phil

• Member Contributer

Ok, so for the first time in about a month or two I fired up the rapid bike software and installed the updates (thanks phil:-).

I notice that there's a new base map, identical to my moded map....ha,

(or did I save my moded map over the base map) anyhow's I sent & saved the new twin map to THE RACE UNIT.

I went for a short test ride and felt things were smoother. I'll see tomorrow when I'm in stop start traffic & after work when I head for the twisties.

Cheers bo

Edited by boOZZIE

• Member Contributer

Well I applied the updates to mine on Saturday & finally got my wideband O2 connected & took it for 4 rides & abused it in the lower gears to work on the fueling, can't do high rpm in high gears as the speeds involved are silly, saw 125 on the speedo at one point & my speedo is corrected !

It was so rich at low rpm >7K & low throttle opening, all the way to 60% throttle & above 7Krpm, showing 10/1 or higher fuel ratio. Some cells had auto tuned to +30% in that range, all with the old exhaust headers & intake setup last year. The narrow band sensor when removed was black with thick soot !

So after 4 runs & 4 reductions by 50% each run for all + cells between 1500-7500rpm & 5-60% throttle, the engine works like it used to, it was so fluffy from all that fuel, it now responds much better & feels much stronger. So riding to work today & monitoring the readout, it shows in the 12/1 range when cruising & 13.2-13.5 when on it at higher revs. The readout is quite stable, which I was NOT expecting. I'm using an AEM digital gauge with the new Bosch LSU 4.9 Wideband O2 sensor.

So still a little fuel tuning to do, then I can concentrate on the ignition map. Hope to get it sorted this week/weekend. Then get a dyno run :)

CandyRed, Yamman agreed to give you free dyno runs to check your power, so get over there & get a power run & let us know if those sprint time calculations are anywhere near ! I really want to see a dyno printout from your bike, as do most of this VFR performance community on here.

Rush, you could weld 4 O2 bungs into your headers & then run either 1 MTB or 1 O2 sensor like mine & tune one cylinder at a time manually. Cost is 1x O2 sensor system & 4x O2 bungs, plus pipe removal/welding/refitting.

Have at it guys :)

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Hi Guys

There is an update to the Rapidbike software (Version 2.6.9 or something like that) that gives new mappings and a change to the number of maps that you can run on the 6th Gen VFRs.

They have changed the cyl numbering so as the correct cyl and pipes are mapped so as if you run 2 maps the OEM O2 sensors are correctly read.

Phil

Phil, whilst that match is correct for the exhaust header connections & factory O2 sensors, its not right for the fuelling !

The factory ECU has a map per cylinder & cyl 1+3 & 2+4 run different maps because the rear two cylinders run hotter, so they run slightly richer than the front two. Doesn't make any real difference, as the O2 output should be the same & the RB Module adds % fuel above/below factory signal, just a point of note.

So if say front said 50+RB5% then the rear would send 51+RB5% so a little richer, but coming down to the header merge the O2 sensor would only see an average for those two pipes, so at least the RB corrections now should be better than they were.

Well I applied the updates to mine on Saturday & finally got my wideband O2 connected & took it for 4 rides & abused it in the lower gears to work on the fueling, can't do high rpm in high gears as the speeds involved are silly, saw 125 on the speedo at one point & my speedo is corrected !

It was so rich at low rpm >7K & low throttle opening, all the way to 60% throttle & above 7Krpm, showing 10/1 or higher fuel ratio. Some cells had auto tuned to +30% in that range, all with the old exhaust headers & intake setup last year. The narrow band sensor when removed was black with thick soot !

So after 4 runs & 4 reductions by 50% each run for all + cells between 1500-7500rpm & 5-60% throttle, the engine works like it used to, it was so fluffy from all that fuel, it now responds much better & feels much stronger. So riding to work today & monitoring the readout, it shows in the 12/1 range when cruising & 13.2-13.5 when on it at higher revs. The readout is quite stable, which I was NOT expecting. I'm using an AEM digital gauge with the new Bosch LSU 4.9 Wideband O2 sensor.

So still a little fuel tuning to do, then I can concentrate on the ignition map. Hope to get it sorted this week/weekend. Then get a dyno run :)

CandyRed, Yamman agreed to give you free dyno runs to check your power, so get over there & get a power run & let us know if those sprint time calculations are anywhere near ! I really want to see a dyno printout from your bike, as do most of this VFR performance community on here.

Rush, you could weld 4 O2 bungs into your headers & then run either 1 MTB or 1 O2 sensor like mine & tune one cylinder at a time manually. Cost is 1x O2 sensor system & 4x O2 bungs, plus pipe removal/welding/refitting.

Have at it guys :)

I wanted to do that with moving 1 my tuning bike around to each cylinder and tune them one at a time, but I didn't, either because it would have taken for ever or because the MTB get paired for life and locked into their original configuration. I'm not sure, I forgot, but I do not believe that the rapid bike software is set up for that. I don't think it will allow you to tune one cylinder at a time. I'm pretty sure that that's what I would have done if it were possible.

Also yes, I would love to dyno my bike, but there is no point with out a baseline. I'm not going to post up a dyno sheet with out anything to compare it to.

So as soon as anyone in the central Florida area with a stock or midly modified VFR VTEC wants to step up to the plate and meet me at the dyno for back to back runs, I'll gladly pay for their gas and dyno :)

• Member Contributer

Ha Ha, there are loads of 6th gen standard dyno charts out there to use as a baseline reference !

For instance dyno-2002-hon-vfr800.gif

or this 2014 one

2014_VFR800hp_dyno.jpg

• Member Contributer

I think CRRC is looking for a baseline on that particular dyno on that day to eliminate or document the dyno variability...

This way if he pulls a high HP number naysayers can be certain it was not due to a high reading optimistic dyno...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup. Every dyno is different. There is absolutely no point in me posting a dyno chart and numbers with out something else to compare it to, on the same dyno, on the same day, with the same conditions as a baseline.

• Member Contributer

Well I would agree is it was 2-5hp, but I'm expecting to see 15+hp from your setup. There must be another willing 6th gen owner in the Orlando area that would be willing to have a FREE Dyno run ! Roll up roll up. Get it on.

The thing is everyone knows that your basic stock vfr800 should put down about 95 to the wheel and your basic slip on/catless header/filter/air box/ tune vfr800 should do about 100 to the wheel. But you always get the one guy with an optimistic dyno putting down 110 or 115 to the wheel with the same set up or someone with a really conservative dyno only putting down 90 or 95 with that set up also.

So I want a stock or basic mods vfr800 there so we can go back to back and I can say, "I netted x extra HP over stock at y RPMs...." Because me saying "oh I made x much hp" is pointless, since I could make y HP on another dyno and z HP on another dyno.

Edited by CandyRedRC46

• Member Contributer

..... There must be another willing 6th gen owner in the Orlando area that would be willing to have a FREE Dyno run ! Roll up roll up. Get it on.

I agree... I can't believe we haven't had a 6th gen Orlando volunteer to have a free dyno run!!!

Maybe since they don't have a RapidBike they aren't reading the thread... CRRC, start another thread with Free Dyno Run for Orlando area 6th Gen!!! as the title...

• Member Contributer

WARNING: www.rapidbike.us is the only official Rapid Bike web site in the U.S. There is an old site from the previous distributor (inactive since 2009) that is out there, rogue, and possibly infected.

Do not go to Rapid Bike USA www.rapidbikeusa.com/
I received a warning from my company IT & recieved the following warning from Google:

post-19432-0-55630800-1429629378.png

Yeah I bought my old rapid bike 2 from them (Lenny in New York) 3 or 4 years ago. I think I was one of the last guys to get anything from him. He was a really nice guy and really helped me out and helped me set everything up via phone and his laptop, but man it took for ever to get everything shipped. Excuses about blizzards and hurricanes and everyone in the office getting sick etc, I was getting nervous I was going to get ripped off, but eventually everything came in.

He did eventually stop returning my phone calls and emails when I started asking about why my RB2 didn't hold multiple maps like the RB3, which I thought at the time I had bought and really really wanted launch control, which the RB2 wasn't capable of.

It wasn't until meeting Yaman at Cycle Pro / Rapid Bike that I found out that Dimsport had let Lenny go in 2008 or 2009 and he was just liquidating all his old stock and products and I just got stupid lucky with being in the right place at the right time. Pretty much everyone else that tried to buy a rapid bike from Lenny got the run around.

All in all I did get really lucky though. I got a really cheap introduction to the older Dimsport technology (RB2 and RB3 technology and quality blew the pc3 and pc3usb out of that water) and then I met Yaman, all the guys at Cycle Pro and all the guys with Dimsport in Italy, after setting up that group buy for the vfr800.

Its funny how it all worked out. I bought an old RB2 from a company that was going out of business. I loved the product so much that I wanted to find what I thought was the next up in their product line ( the RB3 which was apparently still pretty old stuff, but I hadn't heard of the Rapid Bike Evo and Rapid Bike Racing yet). So then I found a Rb3 from a cbr1000rr on eBay and tried to make it work on the VFR and I couldn't.

I was searching for places to get it diagnosed and then I find out Cycle Pro was literally five minutes down the street from my house and they were the new north american Dimsport/ Rapid Bike dealer.

I've had my Rapid Bike Racing for seven or eight months now and couldn't be happier. Plus I just got the youtune module two months ago and it just keeps getting better.

I need to get out to the drag strip and dyno asap, but have just been really busy.

• Member Contributer

Yes, I was in the same boat as CandyRed and bought my original RB2 from Lenny.

Took a while to get the goods and I had the same great experience with the RB2 compared to the PCV I ran previously.

I then bought a second had RB3 from an R6 Yam and reprogrammed it for the VFR.

That gave me twin maps and lots of other features.

No where near as good as the RB Racing though.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Ok seriously! After riding and syncing new table to primary twice... My front tire comes off the ground (bobbles.. I can feel it) like on my old 600 Hurricane during full acceleration in 1st gear. And.. I am only using Rapid module suggested settings.. I have not done ANY crazy tweaking. In addition, she's smooth pulling like butter on steroids! That's what I'm talking about!! This device is successful in my mind. I have no other mods (not even chain/sprocket mod) yet although I'm about to get the Pipercross (already ordered from UK).

P.S. Yaman is on point and those guys have the best customer service around..

• Like 2

Awesome to hear! Thanks for your feedback badelman! Far too often, you never hear from the guys that are happy with their product and only hear from the guys that are having issues. So it is great to read about your positive experience!

Anyways, the best thing about the new Rapid Bike Racing is that you don't need to spend $250 on a dyno session with every mod that you do. So right now your bike is tuned for your stock setup. Then after you put on the pipercross filter and maybe do the snorkel and flapper, the rapid bike will tune for that after a few hundred miles.

If you ever feel like putting slip-ons and maybe a catless header on sometime in the future, you can do so, without ever having to worry about tuning ever again. Just ride around for a few days and a few hundred miles, then do one hard high speed highway trip with lots of high gear high throttle pulls and then go home and apply the fueling changes.

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in constantly applying changes, because they will always be a little different based on the weather conditions at the time that you were riding and your riding style that day.

Just move the mapping over once or twice and let it be until you do another modification that would require different fuel mapping.

Also you should save your maps before applying changes, jusy in case you don't like the changes that were made, so you can revert back to how it was.

• Like 1