Anyone Else Disappointed With The Head Lamps?

ShinyVFR

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Katie said:

I saw that on another pic but sadly, the UK doesn;'t have the reflector thingy.

Also know what you mean about the motivation thing. I find chocolate and coffee are great at reinstating it!

The Crossrunner in the UK has the reflectors....and the same headlights. Luckily, a set of safety bars provides the perfect mounting place for my Givi LED spots.

Sadly, the bars wouldn't look quite so good on an F model.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Skids said:

The Crossrunner in the UK has the reflectors....and the same headlights. Luckily, a set of safety bars provides the perfect mounting place for my Givi LED spots.

Sadly, the bars wouldn't look quite so good on an F model.

Ha, no! Might be useful for fitting stabilisers on one of those 'ride like an idiot' days though...

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Katie said:

Ha, no! Might be useful for fitting stabilisers on one of those 'ride like an idiot' days though...

That's every day for me! :goofy:

• Member Contributer
On 11/24/2017 at 4:33 PM, Katie said:

I saw that on another pic but sadly, the UK doesn;'t have the reflector thingy.

Good luck with your auxiliary lights Katie.  BTW, has anyone in the USA removed their reflectors up front?  I was able to rid myself of the rear red reflectors by adding the tail tidy but as you can see in the pic below I still have the ugly yellow ones.  I'm guessing they wouldn't be that hard to remove since most of the world doesn't have them?

IMG_2158.thumb.JPG.f4a972f1f9cdc77c9016d0896c264c26.JPG

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Good luck with your auxiliary lights Katie.  BTW, has anyone in the USA removed their reflectors up front?  I was able to rid myself of the rear red reflectors by adding the tail tidy but as you can see in the pic below I still have the ugly yellow ones.  I'm guessing they wouldn't be that hard to remove since most of the world doesn't have them?

In some places with bored Nazis wearing police badges, the missing reflectors can earn you a summons.

Just FYI.

6 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

IMG_2158.thumb.JPG.f4a972f1f9cdc77c9016d0896c264c26.JPG

Maybe you could just jazz them up a little? :cheerleader:

pink.thumb.jpeg.3dafd5c93f275ffeb384bd3da7b66353.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2017 at 4:15 PM, Katie said:

And just because I've not revived an old thread on the site...

Have just ordered some cheap LED spotlights to try out for size. My thinking is to put them where the front fender is bolted on as there doesn't appear to be a lot of room anywhere else. Won't bother with the wiring harness kit yet, will see if they fit first! As others have noted, the headlights are really good (better than any other bike I've owned) except when you hoik it right over at night. Seeing the road disappear is more than a little unnerving!

Spotlights.thumb.jpg.2e60616df553ceb7d71a41c59f6dd027.jpg5a18449823505_2015VFR800FFender.thumb.jpg.6fefb68c454a58a558af7675f67e1e88.jpg

Ok, the lights turned up today and it looks they will be a perfect fit, bolting onto the front fender. Have now ordered a wiring harness to fit it. The wiring costs £30 (fully fused with ignition cable splicing connector) but can't complain when the lights were less than a fiver!

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Katie said:

Ok, the lights turned up today and it looks they will be a perfect fit, bolting onto the front fender. Have now ordered a wiring harness to fit it. The wiring costs £30 (fully fused with ignition cable splicing connector) but can't complain when the lights were less than a fiver!

Mind and let us know how you get on with them Katie. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the wiring has finally arrived and I'm off work next week so will be making attempt number 1 to get these on and working! First question:

The wiring comes with a splicing plug (no idea what it's actually called) to attach to a live power source. Any recommendations for the best wire to clip to that won't be

a) too exposed to the elements or

b) impossible to get to!

1 minute ago, fink said:

How are you intending to wire them in?

1) as separate units to headlights 

2) come on when main comes on

Preferably separate (wiring came complete with on/off switch) as it gives me the option

• Member Contributer

As have mentioned before I make a harness which plugs into bike which will allow you a switched live. From this you could add a relay and switch for your lights. 

• Member Contributer

Riding like Rossi at night is a very temporary activity.  I don't think the lights are as bad as those on the fifth gen.  See first sentence again......

• Member Contributer
On 12/17/2017 at 11:25 AM, Katie said:

Ok, the wiring has finally arrived and I'm off work next week so will be making attempt number 1 to get these on and working! First question:

The wiring comes with a splicing plug (no idea what it's actually called) to attach to a live power source. Any recommendations for the best wire to clip to that won't be

a) too exposed to the elements or

b) impossible to get to!

If you mean a "Scotchlock", it belongs nowhere on a bike!  No corrosion protection, plus they damage the wire they're attached to.  Horrible, horrible things!  I believe Posi makes something slightly better (though I still don't like them).

Ciao,

Ok, that's them all wired and working :cool:

Found another thread which shows the accessories plug already fitted and used that as the switched live. Would never have found it unguided as Honda appear to have wrapped every wire and connector together in black tape to ensure the entire inside of the bike is black! :angry:

Got to find somewhere suitable for the on/off switch yet but that's a much nicer problem! Wasn't sure where the cables would go so had all the fairings off, tank up etc which turned out to be a tad unnecessary. Ended up feeding them down the left side, along the frame and back up to the horribly familiar area at the front. Good news was, the relay bolted in via the fairing screw so that's nice and secure.

Oh, and all the wiring I did switching the switch gear has survived! :cheerleader:

If I could just find out where the GT85 spray straw went last time it pinged off in the bike, my life would be complete... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Ooops, forgot to post the finished item! Couple of pics, complete with dirt :smile: They work brilliantly and do the job of filling in the gap created by the 'sharp ending' of the LED headlight.

I velcro'd the on/off switch to inside the dash. Still not a great place but works for now. Looking for an alternative switch which would be more weather proof (the one supplied is meant to go around the handlebar but the VFR doesn't support that kind of nonsense :rolleyes:

IMG_20180116_082153.jpg

IMG_20180116_082206.jpg

IMG_20180116_082216.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Have the same issue with mine too. My old Vtec I could ride it almost as quickly at night as I could by day, but these "wide flat" beam things leave you guessing on country lanes as soon as you start to lean the bike over.

I ride all year, it's just something I'll have to get used to I guess.

1 hour ago, Sparticus said:

Have the same issue with mine too. My old Vtec I could ride it almost as quickly at night as I could by day, but these "wide flat" beam things leave you guessing on country lanes as soon as you start to lean the bike over.

I ride all year, it's just something I'll have to get used to I guess.

Add the auxiliary lights. Riding at night is dangerous enough.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

or decide not to ride in falling snow.... which is a clever decision methink.... :tongue:

Archived