6Th Gen: Led Headlight Conversion

Guest DannyMoto

Those are the IDENTICAL ones I bought!!! WOO HOO!!!

I'm psyched to start tearing into mine now...

Great job!!

Many companies sell the same exact units with different packaging.

GTR, Lifetime LED, etc...

You can pick this set up for $50 - $80 on amazon.

Search "H4 LED Headlight".

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-2500LM-5000K-Bright-Headlight/dp/B00LUALTMW/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1410895040&sr=8-14&keywords=H4+LED+headlight

• Member Contributer

Mine too seem to be terrific and are from lifetimeledlights.com. I wish I had also bought the H7s, though.

digitallyhip,

Your picture show a bulb with the cooling fan, while your link shows a bulb without the cooling fan.

Is this the bulb you have?

https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/led_lights/led_headlights_h49003_highlow

The model with the cooling fan assembly is more than double the price, but it's also a higher wattage unit with higher LM specs.

Both units have the same color and lifespan specs.

They all have cooling fans. The ones pictured are the ones in your link from Lifetime for 149.

The silver series have a removable fan (but you still have to use it) which is slightly bigger. Those are the 260 pair.

I just noticed an issue with the schematic I made.

The circuit on the low-beam would shut off completely when switched to high-beam. Meaning, once you hit the HI's, you're only using the H4 HI beam....

Stock, the bike uses the H4 Low-beam and the H7 High-beam in conjunction.

Looking back, it's best to keep the stock wiring... and just move the circuit over to the H4 pin. Then, add a circuit for the H7's on a switch.

This is the new wiring scheme... Much simpler, and will allow Lo-Beam at all time, H7 as switchable auxiliary, and once you hit the HI-Beam, you have the H4 doing all the work, and the auxiliary is shut off. Just like your fog lights in the car.

Attached is the new plan.

post-26909-0-82626300-1410917241.jpg

• Member Contributer

Great job!!

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-2500LM-5000K-Bright-Headlight/dp/B00LUALTMW/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1410895040&sr=8-14&keywords=H4+LED+headlight

Thanks man. I like them .

• Member Contributer

Hey, that looks great.

Did you have to cut the rubber boots about much?

Cheers

Phil

Yes, I did. The boot needed to be trimmed to provide a hole of about 2.5cm. And getting the retaining clip done up took a little fiddling. But all very possible.

Factory !!!

What brand is that ?

LifetimeLED

Great job!!

They certainly do look alike. My understanding is that some less than reputable factories leave the production line running to create extra examples that can be sold as knockoffs or generic. But: their testing and support are never as good, and some such items are also the units that fail pre-shipping testing. Your mileage may vary.

Mine too seem to be terrific and are from lifetimeledlights.com. I wish I had also bought the H7s, though.

digitallyhip,

Your picture show a bulb with the cooling fan, while your link shows a bulb without the cooling fan.

Is this the bulb you have?

https://www.lifetimeledlights.com/led_lights/led_headlights_h49003_highlow

The model with the cooling fan assembly is more than double the price, but it's also a higher wattage unit with higher LM specs.

Both units have the same color and lifespan specs.

Sorry: must have been my mistake on the link. This is what I bought.

While you have the bike apart, I'd buy and install the H7s as well.

Finally had some time to work on this over the weekend.

So far, I've been able to disassemble the front end and figure out mounting for both sets of LED's depending on which bulb I end up sticking with.

The 2200lm series bulbs (black) are much smaller and very easy to install. I did have to cut out the inner cup of the dust boot to get the body of the fan housing through (not really a big deal).

I was also able to get my "driving lights" installed in the high-beam spots. I think it's funny how Honda uses an odd little connector in conjunction with the bulb, rather than just using the H7 style clip in the harness. Seems lazy.

Anyway, here are some pics of the progress so far.

This week I hope to hack into the harness and get the relay, switch, and wiring changes done.

So far, it looks pretty good.

"Black Series" 2200LM

post-26909-0-44193300-1411348340.jpg

"Silver Series" 3600LM

post-26909-0-62004000-1411348346.jpg

Ok, so relay is in with the addition of the RED wire going to the switch.

post-26909-0-64674800-1411516771.jpg

Tiny micro switch located near the handlebar for the LED driving lights.

post-26909-0-84615500-1411516889.jpg

Re-pinned the H4 with the H7 blue/black and ran lead from the switch to the H7 connector.

post-26909-0-37809200-1411516948.jpg

Low beam.

post-26909-0-35244400-1411516995.jpg

Low beam with driving light.

post-26909-0-89307000-1411517028.jpg

High beam.

post-26909-0-27707600-1411517062.jpg

Now to FINALLY install the LED lights!!!!

• Member Contributer

Tiny micro switch located near the handlebar for the LED driving lights.

attachicon.gif20140923_182027.jpg

Unless you plan for the bike to never see water, including washing, I humbly suggest you find a boot for that toggle switch or better yet, replace it with something waterproof.

Radio Shlock has this but mail order only. Which is probably a good thing; it's not like RS is a great store to browse these days. I like the confidence light. If you plug the part # into Google you get some other options in different colors, different markings or without the indicator light. And no matter which you choose, it should look a lot more "factory" than a toggle, IMOSVHO.

Waterproof is your friend.

Question, on my 05, low beams remain on when the high beams are on, so on high, I have four lights running. How does this affect writing or should I just use power as it is already set up. In California, the brighter the better, do I prefer to have all four running at once.

I will be getting a water-proof one soon.

A night-time vid is coming, no worries!

Lint,

If you look back a few pages, you can see the wiring changes I've made.

Stock: Low-beam fires 1 filament on the bottom bulb (an H4 size). High-beam fires the same bulb, same filament, but also turns on the upper bulb (an H7).

If you want, you could simply splice into the Blue/Black wire going to your high-beams and run it to the open spot on your lower H4 bulbs. This would run ALL of your filaments at once when the high-beams are on.

I would air on the side of caution that the stock wiring harness isn't made to take such a load, and this mod could lead to Regulator and Stator failure down the road...

This is why I set mine up this way, but with LED lights... lower wattage, lower over-all draw on the stock harness, but provide better illumination than a set of halogen bulbs.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Yep, that is what I was thinking as well.

They do need protection from direct water spray

The silver series might be the go.

This was covered back when ZoomZoom did his post for the 5th Gen, but on Lifetime LED's website they have a video of the bulb and fan under water. Light is emitting, and the fan is turning!

Only issue I've had is that the screws on the back of the fan housing have started to rust a little. I can see them on my 5th Gen from the cockpit, and I'm a little disappointed.

Archived