I Need A Smaller Instrument Cluster

makenzie71

I'm running a '98 800 setup in a mini-buggy. I would like to use the speedometer and tach and get all the stock instrumentation, but the VFR cluster is HUGE and I'm having a hard incorporating it into my dash.

Have you guys seen any more compact clusters used with the VFR800 that still have all the factory functionality?

• Member Contributer

It may be a lot of pages to go through but check out this street fighter build by Apexandy. He used a Koso gauge cluster on his 4th gen build and it is quite compact but still offers all the functionality of the stock gauge and a bit more.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/75243-my-95-vfr-sf-project-the-process/

He shows the gauge cluster that he is using on the first page of the thread but the install is further on in the thread.

I have a cbr600rr instrument cluster out of an 09 600rr and it works great. the only thing is the speedometer on mine is way off (shows7mph when I am doing 50mph). You can pretty much use any cbr gauge close to your year motor. wiring is pretty straight forward but you might need a different temp sensor for coolant. I just used the one out of the CBR. the gas gauge even functions

null_zps0f7cfaee.jpg

null_zpsf0738e47.jpg

Are the plugs on the CBR clusters the same as the VFR? This VFR uses two rather large plugs.

Also, and I'm only asking this because I have it and it is physically perfect in size and shape, would anyone have any comments about using an '05 R6 cluster?

If someone has a wiring diagram for the '98 VFR800 I could get the dash pinout from I would appreciate it!

honda parts would be the way to go. yes the only way to correct my speedo problem is with a speedohealer version 4 because I need a 99.99 correction but with newer vfr's it might be less. plugs are not the same. When I bought the speedometer it came with the wiring harness which made it easier to splice into. most of the wires are pretty much the same color except for a few but nothing a wiring diagram can't help you with.

• Member Contributer

Are the plugs on the CBR clusters the same as the VFR? This VFR uses two rather large plugs.

Also, and I'm only asking this because I have it and it is physically perfect in size and shape, would anyone have any comments about using an '05 R6 cluster?

If someone has a wiring diagram for the '98 VFR800 I could get the dash pinout from I would appreciate it!

The 5th gen FSM is free to download in the Downloads section - it should be in there.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/files/file/171-98-01-honda-vfr-service-manual-optimized-bookmarked/

Looking on eBay most of the other clocks are pretty large. The one I saw that was small enough to get me what I want was an '01 929 setup. However, if I have to re-pin it then I'm not sure it's worth the extra effort to only kind of get what I want.

I might work off a combination of the stock and R6 setup. Tachs all work the same, roughly, so I should be able to get the R6 tach to work just fine. I'll have to play with the speed. If I go that route then I'll be setting up caution lights on the dash that I can tap directly into the VFR wiring harness.

Thanks cogswell!