6Th Gen Fill Up Questions/tips?

WGREGT

• Member Contributer

I've pushed my luck (or at least thought I did) with the blinking light on for a while, 15-20 miles. But whenever I fill it up, it's like 4.9 gallons. I don't think I've ever seen it over 5. Guess I'm too nervous about running out.

On a related note, what's the benefit of putting the bike on the centerstand to fill it up? I just straddle the seat, keeping the bike upright. I don't see any point in getting off the bike to put it on the stand. (I always use pay at the pump.)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, a U.S. gallon has 3.785 litres. That will affect your fuel economy calculation quite dramatically. Unless you are in the UK.

My gauge goes down 1 bar almost instantly.

My 08 takes about 12-14 miles to lose the first bar, but the 2nd last usually goes for 30-40 miles.

Luckily, with an average consumption of ~45 miles per gallon (Imperial), I know my 22 litre tank will get me 220 miles before dying (there are ~4.55 litres per Imperial gallon).

• 2 weeks later...

Damn it! I lost all my current mileage data from my "full to the brim" fill-up tonight when I was messing with the battery connections! Turned the key when I was done, and....clock was wrong and I was back to 0.0 on the trip odo's.

So....looks like this will have to wait till my NEXT tank now. Damn it! Ithought I was actually gonna break 200 miles this tank!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So I just came back from a 3-day tour in Central Oregon and I thought of this thread as I was filling up. Here's a tank I managed from Central Oregon, up through the cascades and down into the Portland area. It was very cold and very wet so I was keeping to the limit or 10 over at the most to stay warm.

cAzCb0a.jpg

There's two systems of measurements here so I'll do the math wizardry for y'all

US: 235 miles / 4.9 gallons = 48 MPG

Metric: 378 km / 18.5 litres = 20.5 km/l or 4.9 l/100 km

• Member Contributer

My run over to Eastern Oregon this w/e (in sunny weather) on my 6th gen netted me about 38 mpg - stock gearing.

I'm back in the hunt on this as the VTEC 800 just got it's turn at bat this week. I just put in 5.05 gallons like I would fill it normally, and then kept at it in the interest of science and cheapness, and stopped filling at the same location I did before (just at the top edge of the AL inner ring) and ended up @ 5.400 gallons even.

Someone asked earlier about how much more I could get in, and was it worth it, so looks like I put in .35/gallon more than I would have normally (about 45 ounces more.) I'll post up when I'm pushing it.

Pretty interesting thread. When I'm out on a long all-day ride, I regularly get 220 miles out of a tank before I gas it up for fear of running out. I think the most I've ever pumped into it at once was 5.5 gallons. And I think the farthest I've ever travelled once I have the blinking warning is close to 30 miles. I was sweating that one. Gassed up at a marina and paid boat prices for gas, then within a half mile found a gas station.

Interesting thread indeed. I got 340kms out of 21 litres the other day. (That's 211 miles 4.38 us Gal / 4.95 imp Gal). 50% spirited riding up the mountains, 50% cruising on flat back roads.

I guess that works out to be 48mpg US or 42mpg uk.

i know that I've gotten 5.6l/100kms before which is 42mpg US / 50.44mpg uk.

Do you guys use us or imperial gals to calculate this?!? Some times I see people posting above 50mpg and others surprised by that amount. Maybe there's a mixup between uk and us?

I noticed the fuel light flashing around 40kms (24miles) before I filled up. I thought I was running dry but looks like I might have had a bit of room left, however I only fill to bottom of the neck and have never worried about swishing or waiting. Maybe I should looking at this thread.

There is a mix up between UK and US i think mate.

It confused things somewhat haha.

Especially when im not old enough to work in imperial (im from the UK) so i have to convert everything into litres so i understand haha

Afraid I don't have good news to report: Filled up the 800 today. Seems this "perfectly filled" tank only got me 33.7 MPG. I got 180.4 miles before I stopped to get gas. My usual mileage to fill up is around 170 or so, so I pushed it a bit, but still only got 5.455 gallons in it, which mean technically I still had .355 gallons left before I was pushing it. When I opened it and pushed the bike around, I didn't see any gas in it at all, so if it would truly have held more, it must have been down low somewhere.

Thing is, I've gotten as much as 36 MPG in the past, so this wasn't my best work. Still shy of my 200 miles/tank hopeful mark though.

I tried to hold out, but I was riding in an area without many choices, and the stations were few. I didn't think I could make it to my destination.

I swear I'm getting the next 1 gallon can (all I have seen so far is 2 or 2.5 gallon ones...ideas?) I see so I can strap it on the back when I have one bar left and run it dry for a true test. I tried to keep this entire tank below the 7k VTEC threshold, but man that's tough to do...short shifting before 7k is a PITA.

Archived