6Th Gen Fill Up Questions/tips?

WGREGT

• Member Contributer

I've seen around 384 km (238 miles) and put just a bit over 21 liters (5.5 gallons) on the centre stand. This is around 43 US MPG which is easily done puttering about on a 70 mph Interstate.

Bone stock 6th gen and I have verified the accuracy of the odometer via GPS

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best Ive ever done is 186 without the bar flashing but a single bar, of course as soon as it went onto its side it was flashing.

Wonder why the 5th gen is so much better on fuel. I always thought the vtec was suppose to help fuel mileage and and the weight difference between the two isnt that extreme. Must be a combination of things like ecu, headers and mapping along with vtec

238? Now, this has just got to stop. If I put 238 miles on a tank, I'd dance naked around the bike at the next gas stop.

The pump and filter are INSIDE the tank? Did not know that. Fine, but I still say subtract that from the capacity when you list it then.

175 miles is my routine tops as far as a tank goes. I'm usually in the 34 MPG area at most. My 36.6 this weekend was my personal best ever. I'm not stock though. If I saw 250 miles on a tank I would probably not recover from the shock.

Yeah, I'm on fuelly as well, and I check those numbers now & then, and I'm always impressed by them.

Ive installed 5.3 gallons on a few occasions, when Ive went farther than I wanted, but Ive never actually ran out of fuel. 5.3 gal is close enough. Usually about 5 gal is the most I install on average 15 or 20 mile after red flash.

• Member Contributer

I had the same question. It would alternate between blinking and not blinking and then went strictly to blinking for a while. 4.9 gallons, and I filled it up to the neck with the burping technique. Didn't check the miles, although I will start doing that. I am dumbfounded.

How many miles should I expect to get with a blinking light?

For comparison, my K12S has a 5 gallon tank, and the most I have ever put into it is 4.5 gallons.

We also have to include the accuracy of the pump. Would gas stations underestimate the amount of gas (slightly) so as to not overcharge?

"This might be a good winter project - get it down to almost empty, run it in the garage until it stops." call me crazy for saying this, but ya never know !!! KEEP THE GARAGE DOOR OPEN, and interior doors to living quarters closed and add a big old box fan to push contaminated air away from the garage....just saying ...had a friend, his wife and daughter come real close to having the big sleep, all from exhaust gases entering the house and poisoning them while they slept... a C-O alarm saved their bacon, but they had a time trying to come up from the "sleep" to respond to their alarm.

Once the red goes solid and doesn't bounce back to black, I wouldn't count on more than 30+ miles, that's about as far as Ive pushed it, and I know if Ive a got 20 miles atleast to get to a fuel station after solid red and no fluctuation, I normally lower the rpm levels between gears, in order to ensure I make it. I may have seen 5.45 gallon once. I doubt there was a cup of fuel left.

• Member Contributer

Red? Black? Where is there red on the gauge? I am colorblind, but...is that last flashing bar red? Never knew that if so.

Yeah the last bar starts blinking red . But here with the hills it go from a solid black bar to a blinking red bar few minutes.

Which usually means pumping a couple gallons of "Dragon Gas" from Deals Gap store.

5 Gen gas tank. Does anyone know if this inner plate is removable. It almost looks like a "knock out" piece that can be removed with a hammer and punch.

attachicon.gifIMG_1687.JPG

My 5th gen has the same and I actually like it. Just stick the tip of the nozzle in hole and let it fill. The pump shuts off when it gets to the top just like it does when filling your car, then I can pull it out and top it off a little more. No splashing gas on the tank or me.

• Member Contributer

I'm on the first riding season on my 2007. I normally just fill and go. Last night I took my time filling the tank and I noticed that the gas level kept receding. I had the bike on the center stand and didn't try to wobble or shake for extreme maximum fullness. I just waited a few seconds and filled it three or four times. I read this thread yesterday and never knew.

Huh.

• Member Contributer

Fuel light was flashing just now, so I stopped and filled up. 181 miles, 4.7 gallons. I would easily trust going another 20 miles.

I don't do anything special when I fill it. Center stand, fill to the bottom of the neck, close the cap.

Fuel light was flashing just now, so I stopped and filled up. 181 miles, 4.7 gallons. I would easily trust going another 20 miles.

I don't do anything special when I fill it. Center stand, fill to the bottom of the neck, close the cap.

Sounds like you arent riding fast enough then! Haha.

Nah. Im all seriousness. Iv achieved that on a run, but usually im blasting around local roads.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like you arent riding fast enough then! Haha.

Nah. Im all seriousness. Iv achieved that on a run, but usually im blasting around local roads.

You're right. It is mainly commuting to work these days.

With breathless anticipation, today I attempted to solve the receding gas question. Or at least try like hell to see how full is actually full.

While riding, the last bar began to blink, and I decided today was the day.

Bike on centerstand, like I always do. Filled it quickly to the top of the neck, only to watch it recede again. I did the "twist the bars back & forth thing" like you guys suggested to see if that did anything for me. Not much. It still receded, still took more gas.

After 2-3 more minutes of adding dribbles over & over, I got to the point to where one side of the filler neck was right at the top, and one side was about 1/8" from the top. Made sure not to spill or overflow any, and couldn't add any more without having it spill over into the OUTER flow area (still inside the tank itself.)

There was no "air" under the AL ring this time. The level was at least to the bottom of the AL filler ring.

Only thing I don't know is this: How much gas is left when the last bar starts to blink? I probably put maybe 1-2 miles more on it after the last bar started to blink.

Anyhow, I put in 5.235 gallons, which is more than I ever have, I think. This theoretically means I had .575 in the tank when I started the fill-up. Does this seem possible?

I've put 25.7 miles on it so far, and I still have all the bars. In the past, one bar usually drops off after 10-15 miles. So maybe I'm on to something here, and just never took the time to REALLY fill it up before? I'm determined to ride like an old lady, and get 200 miles to a tank for my first time. We'll see...

post-8118-0-45094700-1410832071.jpg

post-8118-0-36527300-1410832084.jpg

• Member Contributer

On Sunday I decided not to fill up or put any gas in until I made it to the meeting point, which by coincidence was a gas station. When I hopped on in the morning I had one bar and 170.00 miles on the ODO, which was zeroed out at the last fill up. At first I was a little hesitant as the last thing I wanted to do was run out of gas heading to a meet up, how embarrassing would that be?

Anyway, after turning into the Main Street that takes me to the freeway, I suddenly had 2 bars! Ok, less hesitant now and I went in my way. I knew that the distance I had to go was somewhere in the 30 mile range, so this would be close. I monitored the gauge to see when it was going to drop back down to one bar, this happened at around 180 miles, but the one bar started flashing at 192 miles. When I got to the meeting point my ODO read 200.2 miles. Almost 30 miles on the dot door or door!, that's cool.

So I proceeded to fill up like I normally do and ended up putting in 4.75 gallons. This means I had about a gallon left and if mileage is somewhere in the mid 30's, I could have ridden back home and still had a few ounces left, that I wasn't willing to test, at least not that morning.

So theory says, I can get 200 out of a tank most of the time, as long as I don't get too paranoid by the flashing bar, but why take a chance if there's a gas station along the way, that's how I look at it.

It'll go farther than you think. I've gone over 210 miles to a tank on several occasions. This summer I got one tank of 415.6 kilometres which is 257 miles. 18.35 litres to fill it which is 4.84 gallons. You can check it out in my fuelly link below. (High altitude, constant speed, quite a bit of descent, no hooning the throttle).

Guest Recalcitrance

I've gotten up to 244 miles while coming home from a trip north and when I filled up to the top lip, the meter showed 5.2 gallons. I still had half a gallon to go.

Reserve started flashing at 211 miles.

I was floored.

Archived