6Th Gen Fill Up Questions/tips?

WGREGT

Super: 257 miles, and it took only 4.84 to fill it comes out to 53 MPG, which is....amazing. And also about 20 MPG MORE than I have ever gotten.

And after all those miles, the tank only took 4.84 to fill it, which means you had almost (.97) a full gallon left. Which is amazing again. If you had run it dry that puts you at about 310 miles for the full tank...another amazing thought (esp. when I get about 170-180 to a tank.)

Including Recal now....these numbers are quite astounding to me. Wow.

That's it. I'm buying a 1 gallon plastic tank for the rear rack this week. I gotta see what I can get. Too curious now. I gotta see what's at the end of that last flashing bar.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

That's it. I'm buying a 1 gallon plastic tank for the rear rack this week. I gotta see what I can get. Too curious now. I gotta see what's at the end of that last flashing bar.

That's a good method for bikes with carbs, but aren't evil things supposed to happen to your fuel pump, injectors and catalytic converter if you run a 6th gen dry?

Super: 257 miles, and it took only 4.84 to fill it comes out to 53 MPG, which is....amazing. And also about 20 MPG MORE than I have ever gotten.

And after all those miles, the tank only took 4.84 to fill it, which means you had almost (.97) a full gallon left. Which is amazing again. If you had run it dry that puts you at about 310 miles for the full tank...another amazing thought (esp. when I get about 170-180 to a tank.)

Including Recal now....these numbers are quite astounding to me. Wow.

Is this on an 07, are you sure you bike is running right, seems it would have to be severely lean to see that kind of mileage or run only the interstate at 45 mph.

The best Ive ever seen with concrete tires and 100 degree temps with all highway was about 46 or 47 mpg, and that was about 7 years ago, before they changed U.S fuel and before I ran stickier tires. most my riding nowdays is tight track based and I see about 37mpg, I can cross 42 mpg range nowadays with a lot of open high speed sustained stuff. But your 10 mpg beyond that, so either severely lean or something weird. Just not normal from seeing years of the averages.

• Member Contributer

The best I've recorded from my 6th gen was 46 mpg (on the interstate) and the worst 33 (flogging it over Beartooth Pass). For mixed / spirited riding it's usually around 42.

• Member Contributer

2006, 212 miles- mostly secondary roads at a pretty good pace with about 60 highway miles at 75-85. The red was blinking for at least about 45 miles iirc

ScreenHunter_105%20Sep.%2017%2012.41.jpg

• Member Contributer

2006, 212 miles- mostly secondary roads at a pretty good pace with about 60 highway miles at 75-85. The red was blinking for at least about 45 miles iirc

Man, I wish we had your gas prices!

• Member Contributer

:biggrin: NJ does have relatively low gas prices. And the best part is when you get gas for the car, by law they have to do it.

With breathless anticipation, today I attempted to solve the receding gas question. Or at least try like hell to see how full is actually full.

While riding, the last bar began to blink, and I decided today was the day.

Bike on centerstand, like I always do. Filled it quickly to the top of the neck, only to watch it recede again. I did the "twist the bars back & forth thing" like you guys suggested to see if that did anything for me. Not much. It still receded, still took more gas.

After 2-3 more minutes of adding dribbles over & over, I got to the point to where one side of the filler neck was right at the top, and one side was about 1/8" from the top. Made sure not to spill or overflow any, and couldn't add any more without having it spill over into the OUTER flow area (still inside the tank itself.)

Have you payed your attention to volume of gas you were able to add this way? That's the main thing i'm curious about - is there a point to spend those extra 2-3 mins filling up ;).

I just did a 2101 mile five day trip. The mileage varied widely, but so did the riding, both speed and terrain. My longest single ride between stops was 202 miles and I still had 2 bars lit. I added 4.65 gallons at that stop. My shortest was 180 with the red light flashing and added 4.21 gallons at that stop. Weird.

• Member Contributer

I just did a 2101 mile five day trip. The mileage varied widely, but so did the riding, both speed and terrain. My longest single ride between stops was 202 miles and I still had 2 bars lit. I added 4.65 gallons at that stop. My shortest was 180 with the red light flashing and added 4.21 gallons at that stop. Weird.

Weird...you had to add more gas when more bars were lit?! :blink:

I was at $3.94/gallon when I posted on page 5. What you got to say about that?

Weird...you had to add more gas when more bars were lit?! :blink:

Yes, i found it very confusing. I compared mileage numbers with the other bike on the trip and we were at very similar totals, but totally different fuel used.

Have you payed your attention to volume of gas you were able to add this way? That's the main thing i'm curious about - is there a point to spend those extra 2-3 mins filling up ;).

I didn't see the numbers, but it was worth the additional time to me. Next time I'll check and see how much more I can get in this way.

• Member Contributer

Did another fill up yesterday that took me to the point of blinking single bar.

180 miles. Single bar left

195 miles. Flashing single bar

202 miles. Filled up with 4.75 gallons again.

Based on these numbers, I'm getting roughly 42 MPG.

Cheers

I went 52 miles with light blinking, 6th gen. It took 5.5 gallons. No sputter or anything and it was in the mountains.

My gauge is so pessimistic. If I fill up as soon as the light blinks its always 4.8 gallons. Ive had the fuel pump out of one and it seems like it will pick up almost all the fuel.

My gauge goes down 1 bar almost instantly.

• Member Contributer

My gauge goes down 1 bar almost instantly.

My 08 takes about 12-14 miles to lose the first bar, but the 2nd last usually goes for 30-40 miles.

Luckily, with an average consumption of ~45 miles per gallon (Imperial), I know my 22 litre tank will get me 220 miles before dying (there are ~4.55 litres per Imperial gallon).

Archived