10K Mile Service, What Is Needed?

Guest GreatScott

Guest GreatScott

After this riding season I will have hit 10,000 miles on my 2007 RWB. I have noticed a few issues that are common among the forums, but I haven't seen an ordered list. I also decided to do some improvements while I have the bike out of commission.

I know for sure that I need to change the brake and clutch fluid. The associated upgrade would be new levers is a $50-$60 set from ebay worth it? Is a set of SS lines worth it? They are expensive online, but i think a local shop could make them.

I also plan to change the oil and filter since it will be about 5200 miles. Is there anything that is recommended above Honda dealership?

I have a two brothers slip on that I love the sound of, but there are some issues like weak spots in the powerband and excessive crackling on decel. Is there a consensus on power commanders? I think one could solve some of those issues and maybe a new air filter too.

In the summer heat I have had the clock reset when the radiator fans are running when I start the engine. Will a new possibly bigger battery fix that, or is it a sign of those little electrical gremlins? Is there a cheap and easy volt meter or 12v adapter that is well liked so I could keep an eye on known issues?

I replaced the rear wheel with a white 8 spoke when I got new tires at the beginning of spring, so now I have to get the front powder coated to match. When I rode above ~90mph with the new tires I noticed considerable bar shake. I am not sure if the wheel is imbalanced or if the brake rotor could be warped or something else. Any ideas or suggestions?

That is literally everything I could think of, but is there anything I missed?

TL;DR What modifications are good for a 10k mile service?

post-28808-0-60252400-1409889746.jpg

• Member Contributer

Levers, that would be for looks. If you are looking for a shorter reach.... I measured the minimum reach on the ones on my 4th gen and compared with the Pazzo's. Same difference, but I got them for the looks!

SS lines, for me at least. looks again. The brakes on the 4th gen are adequate at best and can honestly say I didnot notice a difference.

Voltmeter good plan, I got the Signal Dynamics LED version and am happy with it. IT did give me a warning that something was up. I thought it was a loose battery terminal and carried on. A week later I got stranded with a RR that was toast...

Silly me.

Yeah get the wheels to match in color, love the white, buy a box full of cleaing swipes to keep them looking like in the picture.

The front tyre will have to come off anyway for powdercoating. So if the shop is fitting the tyre and balacing it, it will be easy to check if the rotor is warped (unlikely at 10k unless t=you tend to brake like Rossi all the time..).

My 6th gen 03 was very sensitive for front wheel balance past 85mph, make sure of your wheel balance before looking elsewhere.

I always used Honda OEM filters for oil and air and never had a problem. The one time I used a K&N oil filter it developed a leak at the welded nut on top of the filter a couple of weeks after installation. Never getting my business again.

I run Honda synthetic oil in my bikes, and change at 6000.

Check the chain for tight spots, flush the coolant system, definitely flush clutch and brake system (perhaps have a dealer handle the brakes) and check the brake pads on both front and rear. Check steering head bearing. Make sure you have a thin layer of copper grease on the front axle. I wouldn't bother with stainless lines or otherwise mess with the braking system configuration- too much chance of jacking something up with the linked system.

Track down that electrical issue, that is not normal and it will bite you sooner or later. Check front harness connector. Get your battery load tested. I think all bikes should have a voltmeter.

I like to use dielectric grease or Cramolin Red on all connectors every couple years. Never had any electrical issues with my 03 up to 40k miles.

I like Pazzo levers on my bikes, but the price has gotten harder to swallow over the past 8 years. There are equally good, more cost competitive, and functionally better options out there now.

Consider a set of HID's on the low beams. Stick with 4000-4500 K and don't exceed 35W. If you install an HID system get a start delay. In the long run this will be easier on your electricals. Especially in the fifth ring of hell that is summer in Texas :)

Where's your heat shield on the exhaust riser? I don't see a cat on there in the photo, if you had it stripped off and aren't using a fuel controller, you probably are running too lean.

• Member Contributer

Do you not follow the Honda Service Schedule?

Unless it is different across the pond, for 07 models, it's a minor every 4k miles (just checking for loose nuts & bolts really), then 8k & 12k start to get more into replacements (oil/filter at 8k, air filter & brake/clutch fluid at 12k) then the 16k is the "big" valve shim service with coolant at 24k.

Thanks for the responses!

Where's your heat shield on the exhaust riser? I don't see a cat on there in the photo, if you had it stripped off and aren't using a fuel controller, you probably are running too lean.

The two bros slip on does not have a heat shield on the midpipe like the stock system, but it is still connected to the cat under the bike.

Unless it is different across the pond, for 07 models, it's a minor every 4k miles (just checking for loose nuts & bolts really), then 8k & 12k start to get more into replacements (oil/filter at 8k, air filter & brake/clutch fluid at 12k) then the 16k is the "big" valve shim service with coolant at 24k.

Hmm, I didn't exactly check the service manual. I just thought after 10k there was probably some things I needed to do. I guess it would be a combination of 8k and 12k service.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the responses!

The two bros slip on does not have a heat shield on the midpipe like the stock system, but it is still connected to the cat under the bike.

Hmm, I didn't exactly check the service manual. I just thought after 10k there was probably some things I needed to do. I guess it would be a combination of 8k and 12k service.

If you can wait until I get home from work, I'll post a quick resume of the service schedule. Some folk tinker around with things, like changing the oil every 4k etc but as long as the jobs get checked and/or replaced then it's your bike, do with it as you please.

As for the other farkles/improvements; there are hosts of threads on here.....fill yer boots!

• Member Contributer

As for the other farkles/improvements; there are hosts of threads on here.....fill yer boots!

and empty yer wallet!!!!

:goofy:

Archived