Daugherty Vs Penske Vs Ohlins

PirateRiderBen

In the world of rear shocks, nothing blows more than the stock VFR shock. I figure if i am keeping this bike I need to make some additions. I really really do not have 1000$ to drop on having this thing re-done front and rear, so I am looking for budget options. Daugherty offers a CNBR 929 shock for 420$, however I have found a used Penske for 650, and then there's always ohlins. My question is, is the CBR 929 shock that much of an improvement for a semi-aggressive street rider weighing about 215lbs. I have an Ohlins set-up on my Triumph and it is phenomenal, but I bought the bike that way, and do not have the cash for a brand new penske or ohlins. I also don't want to waste my 420$ on a mild improvement over stock. The cheapest option is buying a 929 shock and installing it myself, which without Daugherty's tweaks, I feel wouldn't be much worth the time? Maybe I am wrong, but that's why I made this thread. So fire away with opinions and advice.

-PRB

• Member Contributer

I tried the CBR shock on my 4th gen without the Daugherty mods and it wasn't much of an improvement over stock, then I put on a used penske and I started looking for chuckholes to hit, it made a huge difference. I'll probably send it out this winter to be freshened up along w/ my Fox racing shock that I have on my VFR RR(which is an amazing shock, that thing is on rails and not upset one bit when hitting bumps while cornering hard)I Haven't tried an Ohlins $$$$, but I'm sure their awesome but$$$$$

• Member Contributer

I was going to put a used 929 shock on and bought one, only to find it had a seized rebound adjuster, apparently that's quite common. You also will need to make up a spacer for the top mount as the 929 shock is much shorter than the VFR.

So I bought a modded 929 shock from JD. There's plenty of adjustment and the ride is much more controlled than stock. I had an Ohlins in the back of my RF900 and I'd say the 929 shock feels just as good. JD fits a rider-specific spring which the Penske probably won't have. He also makes a neat job of making the shock longer.

Today I received long-awaited bits to upgrade my forks with new springs and shims, they do stand out as badly damped once you get the back end sorted. So a busy weekend ahead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Any used shock (and many new ones) will have to have the correct valving and spring for the intended application.

So just putting a CBR929 shock on a VFR will not make the VFR noticeably better even after adding the 3" or so spacers to correct the length.

Bear in mind that in purchasing a JDM $420 CBR shock you are purchasing a $60 used shock and $350 worth of shock tuning. That is better way to look at what you are getting.

If you can get a used Penske for $620 more than likely it will still need around $350 in tuning for the new spring and valving. Even if you pop $1,000 for a new Penske make sure that they are installing the proper spring for your application and tuning the valving to match the spring rate.

In my mind all aftermarket parts sellers should refuse to sell VFR exhausts and farkles until you have purchased a proper shock and done the forks. :goofy: I know many disagree with me but the bike is transformed when it can carry the weight and not pogo around on the soft progressive springs and poor valving.

So my suggestion is don't spend the money on a shock and install it yourself without correcting the other issues related (springa rate and valving). One option is to roll the dice and buy the Penske for $620 then send it out to have it put on a dyno to verify the valving an handle the installed spring and to find out what the spring rate is.

You might get very lucky and find that it was done properly.

• Member Contributer

I have the JD CBR929 shock on mine, and I can tell you it made a world of difference.

The bike is now stable, no matter what I hit mid corner, it sits higher on the rear, which made turn in a lot quicker.

And even though I have a very stiff spring to suit two up riding, it is much more comfortable then the stock ever was.

No more pogoing on a mid corner dip, or bottoming out on large pot holes.

It also doesn't want to run wide when you gun it mid corner.

I could never justify spending over a $1000 on a new shock, after experiencing the JD 929 shock on the VFR.

I'm sure the Penske is a better shock, but the VFR will never be a Fireblade, no matter what you put on it.

Save your money and spend the extra on the front, it will feel like shit after you do the rear.

• Member Contributer

Yes people, what CornerCarver said. Do not confuse a rear USED 929 shock with JD's. He is selling you a re-sprung (for your weight and application) and re-tuned rear shock. The reasons for going with the 929 is 1) it fits on the VFR and 2) it is fully adjustable and most importantly 3) JD is re-building it for you. That is not what you are getting in any old used 929 or Penske necessarily.

CornerCarver is 101% spot on there is no point fitting a shock that isn't setup for your individual application so the bottom line is always you budget. I don't agree with VFROZ comment about the VFR never being a Fireblade which implies can't make use of the very best suspension. Unless you have ridden a VFR with suspension in the high range you will never now what the VFR can really do just like a Fireblade.

My VFR suspension is what some deem overkill but the transformation is amazing, the proof is anybody I let ride my VFR doesn't matter if there VFR riders or any other bike for that matter I have to fight to get my keys back. Yes the suspension on my VFR cost a bomb but the cost for me is offset by the added safety it provides & bike + premium suspension still is cheaper than upgrading to a newer stead which in most case will still need suspension modifications to suit your individual requirements.

• Member Contributer

By coincidence I bought a used Penske off of eBay and the first thing I did was have Penske take a look at it. When they told me that other than it not being for the bike the seller said it was from and that it would need quite a few changes made to fit the VFR, I knew what I already knew, that I would need to have it rebuilt to fit my application. The only reason I sent it to Penske was to confirm the shock was rebuild able as the body had some markings on it like if the shock was rubbing against something. Once Penske gave me the thumbs up, I sent it off to JD and have been enjoying its quality of performance ever since I got back and installed. I ended up putting this on my 5 Gen play bike.

As it's been said a few times, what's inside the device is more important than the device brand itself, even having the stock shock rebuilt can make a huge difference. There is nothing wrong with the Showa suspension that can't be fixed with the right amount of knowledge. Talking with JD when I had planned to revamp my 6 Gen suspension, he seemed to like and appreciate the Showa hardware but as the stock stuff isn't meant for one rider specifically, it does need to be built to suit to get the most out of it. In this case I found an OEM ABS model VFR shock and had JD rebuild it for me and it transformed the bike but mostly after I put in the fork bits he setup and sent me (Springs, valves and shims), as the f/r were more in balance. I went with the OEM shock for a few reasons, 1) I knew it would fit, 2) it has the remote preload adjuster (handy for the different weight I would placing on the bike), 3) it was totally affordable, with and without the JD additions.

In the OEM shock scenario, it is basically what CC said, paying $40 for a shock and the rest for what gets put inside. So why did I go OEM the first time and then go aftermarket on the second go round? Adjustability! Although the Showa shock does have rebound adjuster and remote preload, it does not have a compression adjuster, which the Penske does. Since the 5 Gen was going to built for pure sport riding I wanted a shock that had more adjustability. Similarly I had JD rebuild the forks and had him add in the rebound adjusters while he was at it. Yes, I could have gone all hog wild and replaced the entire front end with an entire from end from another bike, this was a budget build. Improve where I could without breaking out the credit card and making more work for myself. (i.e. Delinking the front brakes and buying all the bits and pieces that go with that build)

Long story short (oops, too late), the moral of the story, it does not matter what you buy, to get the most out of it, it takes some additional work and that should be part of your budget. The nice thing about the JD 929 shock is that it is very affordable in comparison to the other options, but will still improve your suspension greatly (at least IMO). If you're just using your bike for commuting, touring with the occasional play ride thrown in once in a while, I think the JD 929 shock would be a great option, but don't just do the rear, also change the front at the same time, you won't regret it!

My 99 has a JD on it from a previous owner, so all I know is it's a 929 shock with a 1150 lb./in. spring. Seems to work well for my 200# and with my 140# wife on back. Even with the GIVI's loaded solo it handled well I thought compared to my ol 94 stock VFR and my 02 that had a unit off an ABS model.

I am no track rider or knee dragger so I may not be the best judge of suspension. It works well compared to other ST bikes I have owned/ridden. Riding with a friend tomorrow that has a box stock 2000 and want to see what if anything feels different.

• Member Contributer

For me JMr front(CBR internals) and back(CBR rear) is plenty good enough for me. For what most riders spent on a rear shock ($1000) i got both front and rear . I can push it and drags knee with the best. High hp's bikes might leave me in the straight aways but I am right back in the turns.

• Member Contributer

Slightly off topic here, but last night I installed the new DMr springs and damper internals (new compression piston and shims, rebound new shims only) for the forks on my 99, and got in a short ride today. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Immediately apparent was a much softer, more fluid feel from the forks, without all of the jarring that I was getting from the stock set-up and that was causing me quite a bit of wrist pain on longer rides. Also obvious was that the forks are riding quite a bit higher now, higher rate springs will do that, but I hadn't realised how sacked out the old ones were. This is making the bike steer a bit slower, and calmed the steering a bit, and also tilted a little weight off my wrists. Feel under braking is great, and bump absorption is much improved; I started looking for really bumpy roads to check that out. So this mod is something that I can really endorse. The VFR forks are pretty easy to work on and the cartridge came apart without much effort. The DMr compression valve is identical to the Racetech product, and even the shim selection was identical to the default Racetech recommendations.

Today I also got a chance to ride a 2014 VFR800 at a dealer demo day. Felt very new and shiny, and had a a good riding position and nicely setup suspension, but was not a day and night improvement over my 99. Unlinked brakes were no different in feel or power to the linked brakes with EBC pads. Power overall felt pretty similar, the VTEC transition wasn't noticeable but certainly makes an intense noise! I did like the low set indicator switch, a much more logical location IMO. Would I trade in my old VFR? Nope, but the 14 is nice enough.

I had JD rebuild my front and VFR rear shock with new springs and Race Tech valves and I'm very happy with the results. The bike performs great and stays planted to the road. It is balanced and set up for my weight. (250lbs). He did both ends for about $650 US. I can confirm that JD likes the Penske shock over even the Ohlins. I would email him and ask him what he would recommend. Best of luck.

• Member Contributer

I had JD rebuild my front and VFR rear shock with new springs and Race Tech valves and I'm very happy with the results. The bike performs great and stays planted to the road. It is balanced and set up for my weight. (250lbs). He did both ends for about $650 US. I can confirm that JD likes the Penske shock over even the Ohlins. I would email him and ask him what he would recommend. Best of luck.

Does the Penske rear shock need to be check and inspected like Ohlin does ?

As it's been said a few times, what's inside the device is more important than the device brand itself, even having the stock shock rebuilt can make a huge difference.

Yup, totally agree. The suspension on my VFR has been through a few changes, but is currently Showa forks with Ohlins and Racetech internals, and Elka shock with Ohlins internals. It's GOOD.

Yes it does need servicing just like Ohlins or any shock for that matter, the difference is Ohlins, Penske, etc are built to be serviced unlike the OEM shocks which can be rebuilt but is an after thought that at times need custom modifications to do so. The average service interval is around 15000-25000km for a shock

• Member Contributer

Yes it does need servicing just like Ohlins or any shock for that matter, the difference is Ohlins, Penske, etc are built to be serviced unlike the OEM shocks which can be rebuilt but is an after thought that at times need custom modifications to do so. The average service interval is around 15000-25000km for a shock

Thanks .

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

By coincidence I bought a used Penske off of eBay and the first thing I did was have Penske take a look at it. When they told me that other than it not being for the bike the seller said it was from and that it would need quite a few changes made to fit the VFR, I knew what I already knew, that I would need to have it rebuilt to fit my application. The only reason I sent it to Penske was to confirm the shock was rebuild able as the body had some markings on it like if the shock was rubbing against something. Once Penske gave me the thumbs up, I sent it off to JD and have been enjoying its quality of performance ever since I got back and installed. I ended up putting this on my 5 Gen play bike.

As it's been said a few times, what's inside the device is more important than the device brand itself, even having the stock shock rebuilt can make a huge difference. There is nothing wrong with the Showa suspension that can't be fixed with the right amount of knowledge. Talking with JD when I had planned to revamp my 6 Gen suspension, he seemed to like and appreciate the Showa hardware but as the stock stuff isn't meant for one rider specifically, it does need to be built to suit to get the most out of it. In this case I found an OEM ABS model VFR shock and had JD rebuild it for me and it transformed the bike but mostly after I put in the fork bits he setup and sent me (Springs, valves and shims), as the f/r were more in balance. I went with the OEM shock for a few reasons, 1) I knew it would fit, 2) it has the remote preload adjuster (handy for the different weight I would placing on the bike), 3) it was totally affordable, with and without the JD additions.

In the OEM shock scenario, it is basically what CC said, paying $40 for a shock and the rest for what gets put inside. So why did I go OEM the first time and then go aftermarket on the second go round? Adjustability! Although the Showa shock does have rebound adjuster and remote preload, it does not have a compression adjuster, which the Penske does. Since the 5 Gen was going to built for pure sport riding I wanted a shock that had more adjustability. Similarly I had JD rebuild the forks and had him add in the rebound adjusters while he was at it. Yes, I could have gone all hog wild and replaced the entire front end with an entire from end from another bike, this was a budget build. Improve where I could without breaking out the credit card and making more work for myself. (i.e. Delinking the front brakes and buying all the bits and pieces that go with that build)

Long story short (oops, too late), the moral of the story, it does not matter what you buy, to get the most out of it, it takes some additional work and that should be part of your budget. The nice thing about the JD 929 shock is that it is very affordable in comparison to the other options, but will still improve your suspension greatly (at least IMO). If you're just using your bike for commuting, touring with the occasional play ride thrown in once in a while, I think the JD 929 shock would be a great option, but don't just do the rear, also change the front at the same time, you won't regret it!

I've been reading (and re-reading) the pinned posts in the suspension forum lately (thanks to all for the hard work that went in to those BTW), working on deciding what updates to do during the winter hibernation. What I like about this post is that it gives clear & concise reasons for making one choice vs another and getting best value for money. Just what I was looking for. Nicely done.

I boughtthe Dmr front valve kit for the forks had him do the rear. Definetly worth it and the best part is that he custom makes it to you. I ride with a passenger very often so he set up the shock for the weight and never had a bottoming out problem again. Also heavy braking no longer bottoms out the forks like the stock setup. Also bumps dont even feel like bumps anymore, its like a air ride suspension.

• Member Contributer

Can't offer any more than already said, but it's an internet forum so I'm compelled to :1::laughing6-hehe:

I had Jamie build me a 929 shock and later I sent him my SP1 forks and I'm totally happy with the results. Like has been stated, it doesn't matter as much what you start with, the money you should be spending is on the tuning specific for your needs.

+++ on having the suspension rebuilt and calibrated to your riding weight and style. Best money ever spent on the bike came with the smallest decal!

Never realized how sacked-out the stock components were on my 08 until last T-mac when rode the bike first time with it all setup for me and WOW! What a difference throughout all those magnificent roads. Didn't make this flat lander a knee dragger but the new suspension removed that marshmallows feel the front forks so I could actually begin to feel the road (and what you guys are talking about in the tires threads).

Best money I've ever spent on the bike was suspension rebuild/calibration and the Total Control riding classes.

#1 = Suspension tuned to your weight and style ($1K)

#2 = Total Control Level 1 and 2 ($550)

--> There is more $ignificance to this path of action as it will likely lead to the very strong desire for Track Days, leather suits, fancy boots, .......

• Member Contributer

I have had a FOX on a 4th gen, Penske double clicker on 5th gen, 929 rebuilt by Jamie Daugherty on a 5th gen, and I currently have a Ohlins on my current 5th gen (2000). So far the Ohlins and Penske have been neck in neck in terms of reliability, adjustability with the Penske feeling a little more "plush"...The fox on my 4th gen was just fine. The least enjoyable but not "bad" in any way was the 929. Nothing bad to say, but it had the least adjustability and was the least rider friendly with respect to ride height adjustment, preload adjustment and range of comp/rebound damping.

On trackdays I can feel the need to change settings, but on the street the difference is 90% not discernable because I don't ride on the street like I do the track. If you are doing trackdays and riding different tracks/conditions you might want the adjustability of a Ohlins or Penske. Otherwise I suspect the 929 by Jamie will work fine.

On my trackday SV650 I had a ZX-10R piggy back shock which was a little more upgraded over the 929 shock (but not by much)...and it worked fine on my SV...the front end had emulators...I think had I gotten the AK20 upgraded front I might have wanted a penske out back...as it is...that bike could get around the track...one of my WERA racing buddies really liked the setup...but it was not quite as well set up as his Penske bike shod with AK20's up front...he said the Pensek and AK20s were good for another 2 seconds around Beaverun raceway...I was still 4 seconds off his race pace...

Just my two cents.

Matt Roth

Archived