Anyone Modified A Seat Cowl To Accomodate Grab Handles?

viffviff

• Member Contributer

Ideally, you need a template from someone who went before you.

I asked for my 4th gen, get no response (BOOOOOOHH!!!) and whipped out the Dremel.

I had to make the cut-outs larger because the paggenrger grips double a a base to clamp a rear carrier bracket on..

post-8974-0-97780000-1409573875.jpg

I used a knackered one I picked up for 10 euro's so no loss

I did it to a 5th gen I owned previously and liked it a lot. Like you said, easier to move around the garage, put up on the centerstand, etc. I just took my time to develop a template, then got out the Dremmel and went to work. Well worth the effort. Good luck.

Ride safe

Mark

• Member Contributer

I cut mine for saddle bag mounts so I can run the cowl with saddle bags and strap stuff down behind me. I had special blocks made to replicate the grab bars so I could do this.

DSCN2878.jpg

I have a few cowls, one stock, this one cut like this, a blue one I got for free and plasti-dipped and of course my smuggler which is actually a whole seat.

• 4 months later...

I did mine when I first got the bike 10 years or so ago. I'm too poor to own a Dremel, so I used a Makita laminate trimmer. By the way - don't use one of these with a low-speed grinder bit to remove your chain's masterlink. :491:

Unless you're bored.

Or stupid.

Or lazy, bored and stupid like me. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

cos you will crash, burn, die and then do it all over again...............

cos you will crash, burn, die and then do it all over again...............

Yes indeed, Leon. To be honest, despite doing lots of stupid things, it's one of the very few times I was worried about that. There I was, holding the laminate trimmer with hands and knees, spinning at 20k rpm (the trimmer, not me), wildly vibrating (both of us), and thinking, "OH CRAP!! This won't end well!"

I only *just* managed to bump the power switch with my knee, and eventually it wound down and my teeth stopped rattling.

Another stupid thing was bedding in new front brake pads on the VTR1000 I used to own, by repeatedly braking hard, after reading a report years ago that said that was the best way to do it.

But apparently not on a damp road infested with tar snakes. :unsure:

I found out what mild concussion is like, after landing on my head in front of some guys doing road repairs. :blush:

At least they didn't laugh, and I didn't burst into flames that time.

Archived