Throttle Body Isolator Boots

• Member Contributer

I've had to remove the throttle body to gain access to a problem I discoverd changing the coolant. (pic to be posted)

My question is, since my bike is 14 years old do you folks replace the isolators if you have removed the throttle body?

I will replace the coolant hoses associated and the thermostat of course. ?

(Edit)

Upon removing the coolant recovery tank I found an unoccupied mouse nest in the "V" of the engine. "Oh nooo!" Sure enough the furry infiltrator did this...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Thanks veefer. I have always replaced them on the 1st gen Magnas but was curious to know if newer products lasted much longer.

Il

Samsung Droid Charge

A bit of good news....I found a harness on ebay. $15.00 shipped. :)

Samsung Droid Charge

• Member Contributer

The boots on my 98 with 74K on it aren't cracked, but they feel like they are made of ABS! New ones ready to go on. Nice 'n flexible.

• Member Contributer

I am in process of replacing my coolant pipes and clean my injectors. Found a similar problem - the wires were in similar start ... i just created new wires and soldered them on.

the boots are heard...i had purchased new after market ones sometime back so ...they came in handy.

how difficult was it to replace the boots? I know on the 6th gen I have seen some posts about it being a real pita to get the TB off the boots.

I bought new boots and new clamps for my 6th gen. I just don't want to take it all apart just for that........I have a new thermostat as well and so I am sorting of waiting until i need to replace the thermostat and then just do it all at once.

On the 6th gen at least, there is very specific gaps for the clamps, one spec for the lower clamps (engine) and one for the upper clamps (TB). If you over or under tighten these I have heard you could have leaks.

• Member Contributer

how difficult was it to replace the boots? I know on the 6th gen I have seen some posts about it being a real pita to get the TB off the boots.

I bought new boots and new clamps for my 6th gen. I just don't want to take it all apart just for that........I have a new thermostat as well and so I am sorting of waiting until i need to replace the thermostat and then just do it all at once.

On the 6th gen at least, there is very specific gaps for the clamps, one spec for the lower clamps (engine) and one for the upper clamps (TB). If you over or under tighten these I have heard you could have leaks.

The longer you wait the harder it gets. A liberal application of WD40, and a heat gun will help.

I was surprised to find my thermostat in good shape, but I replaced it anyway. I found more nasty corrosion on the water neck o-ring grooves, and the o-rings were pretty much done. I imagine it gets pretty damn hot in there when the temp sensor is reading 245°F.

I had the entire engine apart so it just made sense to replace all that stuff on a 16 year old bike.

• Member Contributer

I just put new ones on mine, TB popped right on. Was worth the $25 or so for new ones.

$25.00 for OEM boots? That's half what I paid....ouch.

Now I'm wondering if I should have the injectors checked....how much would that cost?

• Member Contributer

Wow!! That's a very reasonable price. Did you remove the injectors yourself or give them the throttle body with injectors still attached?

Samsung Droid Charge

• Member Contributer

I just put new ones on mine, TB popped right on. Was worth the $25 or so for new ones.

$25.00 for OEM boots? That's half what I paid....ouch.

I mis-remembered, they were $12.11 ea. I bought two pages worth of parts, forget the details at my age. :wink:

Wow!! That's a very reasonable price. Did you remove the injectors yourself or give them the throttle body with injectors still attached?

Samsung Droid Charge

I pulled them myself. Once you remove the air box, the injectors are super easy. It included 2 of the 3 rubber seals that are used on our injectors, I think the "cushions" aren't included, so I had bought those. There are many injector places that are mobile too, they will come to your house. I am pretty sure the place I used you can mail them your injectors and they will mail them back as well.

For the record, mine were tested with a clean bill of health. I was (And still am) trying to nail down some surging issues I am having, and so I replaced all the fuel rail seals, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Fuel Filter, and had the injectors tested/cleaned, as just a regular part of my troubleshooting.

Of course, our bikes rely heavily on electronics (fuel injection), and so any weird electrical gremlins can also cause weird symptoms that may appear to be fuel system related. I can say positively my fuel system is good to go...

• Member Contributer

Thought I found a local guy but he sold his company two years ago. So today I shipped mine off to a company in NY.

http://injectorrepair.com/injector-service/

$17.00 each sonic cleaning, flow test, seals, etc. $73.75 includes return shipping and usually shipped back within 24 hrs of receiving them.

Might as well have peace of mind.

Jeffrey

• Member Contributer

Its a good idea to perform preventive maintenance anytime you have accesses under the throttle bodies..

Mr.RC45 at 50K miles mark before and after

post-3131-0-80468500-1409427360.jpg

post-3131-0-61920000-1409427461.jpg

Not only were all the throttle bodies boots replaced all the hoses and O rings were also replaced for obvious reasons...

post-3131-0-62675200-1409427709.jpg

• Member Contributer

I am hoping that having the injectors cleaned will give it a smoother throttle response and fix a slight "spark knock" when you are taking off from a dead stop or blipping the throttle. (Used to be worse) I suspect at least one injector is the culprit. Although the bike averages 41 mpg

• Member Contributer

Got the injectors back today. He said they were good as is when he got them. The flow rate balance of 4â„… which is within specs. After cleaning, they now have a flow rate balance of 2 1\2%

Maybe I'll have it back together by tomorrow night. :)

• Member Contributer

Installed new battery this morning. Started it up...flooded itself and died. Got it started again and will stay running but is difficult to rev up (spits and sputters but no back fire). Temp gauge flashing at 270 but it's not over heating. Remains at high idle. (Wax unit model) Pretty sure air is out of the cooling system. Hoses at the water pump are hot and both radiators are hot.

Any suggestions?

• Member Contributer

lol That's what it was showing on the instrument panel. It started flashing at 250. Within two minutes after starting it was over 220 and kept climbing. Cooling fan never came on and I know it is woks. I haven't touched the wires for the fan.The FI light does not stay on or flash.

I need help.....please.

Jeffrey

• Member Contributer

lol That's what it was showing on the instrument panel. It started flashing at 250. Within two minutes after starting it was over 220 and kept climbing. Cooling fan never came on and I know it is woks. I haven't touched the wires for the fan.The FI light does not stay on or flash.

I need help.....please.

Jeffrey

• Member Contributer

Bad luck Jeff. The temp sender is screwed in to the back of the front head left cylinder under that darned throttle body. I think you've got an electrical fault with the temp sensor wires as I doubt the engine could get that hot that quick. At 2k warm up I reckon it takes my VFR 2 minutes to get to 120F. The FI system uses the temp measure to adjust fuelling so a screwy temp will mess with fueling.

The fan uses its own switch on the left radiator and is not dependent on the coolant temp sensor.

Just seems so weird you would have an issue with the temp sensor after just being in there. Do you think maybe you knocked something loose, stretched/cut a wire or something like that? Sucks you may have to take the TB off again........I guess if there is anything else down there you haven't replaced (hoses, o rings) may want to just do that this time since its such a chore to get in there.

Archived