Bought The Ticket. Took The Ride.

Shinigami

And heeeer's Akra!

And the BIG question, Can you get the baffle out?

The spot weld on the bolt snapped off with minimal effort and use of an appropriately sized stubby Allen wrench. The baffle worked out. However, I am leaving it in place for now. The bike exhibited considerable decel popping and I am concerned about fueling with the open pipe. It sounds great with the baffle in place.

It took few hundred miles, but the sound is finally what I was hoping for when first installing my Akra. Either that or I just got used to the sound, but it doesn't really matter - definitely a good purchase...

• Member Contributer

And heeeer's Akra!

And the BIG question, Can you get the baffle out?

The spot weld on the bolt snapped off with minimal effort and use of an appropriately sized stubby Allen wrench. The baffle worked out. However, I am leaving it in place for now. The bike exhibited considerable decel popping and I am concerned about fueling with the open pipe. It sounds great with the baffle in place.

Not good and it will only get worst .

I think I am unimpressed with the longevity of the OEM tires. Still grippy though.

I suspect these will be well done by 3000 on clock.

Not good and it will only get worst ..

Not so far. In fact it's very good, indeed.

post-12595-0-16461600-1410395919.jpg

post-12595-0-23245400-1410395944.jpg

Yes mine will be done in by about 5000Ks

I am going to put a roadsmart 2 (a real one) on the rear and a Q3 on the front, they just turned up from Jake Wilson.

As OEM tyres, the D222s arent too bad though, better than some of the stuff that Honda used to dish up on new bikes, dunlop 204s come to mind, and Metzler mez4s..

Thats a big hole in that Akra :)

I've pushed shopping carts with more traction than D204's. If I recall correctly those were OEM on my 03 Interceptor. You could serve tea with the front cupping on those bastards.

I agree these 222's are good for OEM at least in terms of sheer grip, and now I'm trying to decide between the Roadsmart2 approach or Pilot Road 4's (which I had on the previous VFR). Either way I will need to decide this month, longish trip ahead and will need new rubber beforehand.

One thing- my mechanic (non dealership) who does all my CBR work (as well as work for a number of WERA and other racers) has seen a number of issues with Q3's this season. Specifically, development of cracks which appear (but are apparently not) delaminations. After three sets of S20's, I was set to slap on some Q3's but he talked me into staying with the (cheaper) S20's- and no, it wasn't a matter of what he had in stock.

If not for that I would certainly consider Q3/R2 combination. (On the other hand, I did experience pyramiding on Q2's on the CBR- miserable turn-in after 70% used up). The 222 front profile looks great.

• Member Contributer

I've pushed shopping carts with more traction than D204's. If I recall correctly those were OEM on my 03 Interceptor. You could serve tea with the front cupping on those bastards.

I agree these 222's are good for OEM at least in terms of sheer grip, and now I'm trying to decide between the Roadsmart2 approach or Pilot Road 4's (which I had on the previous VFR). Either way I will need to decide this month, longish trip ahead and will need new rubber beforehand.

One thing- my mechanic (non dealership) who does all my CBR work (as well as work for a number of WERA and other racers) has seen a number of issues with Q3's this season. Specifically, development of cracks which appear (but are apparently not) delaminations. After three sets of S20's, I was set to slap on some Q3's but he talked me into staying with the (cheaper) S20's- and no, it wasn't a matter of what he had in stock.

If not for that I would certainly consider Q3/R2 combination. (On the other hand, I did experience pyramiding on Q2's on the CBR- miserable turn-in after 70% used up). The 222 front profile looks great.

Q3's wow good to know .

Bugger and I just bought 2 Q3s for the fronts on each bike. They were good on the CBR.

I liked the Q2s as well but as you say not too good towards the end of the life of the front one, no longer available anyway.

I should have made it clear that the issues with the Q3's were all on track bikes, and only on rears, as far as I am aware. Having researched the issue a bit I am left with the impression this happened to low-pressure (compared to street) high temp track setups.

I wouldn't worry about running the Q3's front on a VFR, with an appropriate Dunlop rear (R2).

Archived