Downsides To Gutting? Tuning, Etc.

Guest jorxster

Guest jorxster

Hey guys!

I'm a proud owner of a 2005 vfr800 (6th gen I think?)

I had it serviced at a Honda shop and asked them about drilling out the exhaust pipes. They basically said it was a bad move, that it would :

- mess with the engine tuning

- reduce horsepower

- reduce mileage

- reduce longevity

Well that sounds a little scary to me.

They also said I'd need to get a power commander to keep the engine tuned properly. They quoted me 1200$ for the power commander alone! insane.

So... what do you guys reckon? Any truth to it?

6th Gen, yes it is... 2002 - 2009 (in the US - longer in some other parts of the world)

Welcome!!!! Post pictures!!!!! :worthlesswithoutpics:

I did a full gut on my 2007 over 2 years, and 7k miles ago. (cut the ends off, took out the baffles and pipes, and then welded the ends back on)

Here is the link to my original story (on the "other" VFR site):

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/39123-07-RWB-Modifications-Exhaust-amp-HID-low-beams

- Engine runs the same as before - no additional lean surge, etc. The restriction from the catalyst and the perforated metal diffuser at the beginning of the muffler assembly (closest part to the engine - not the outlet end) probably does not significantly improve cylinder filling, so it does not appear to be not outside the stock ECU's capability to adapt.

- HP (feels) unchanged - maybe just a itsy bitsy more (maybe)

- Mileage - How does a high of 50mpg (while riding around Deals Gap, The Dragon, etc.) with an average (mostly commuting) of 40 sound?

- Can't say anything about the longevity - only that I have over 10k (miles) on the bike now, and it still runs (and I think sounds) great.

Same here. Fully gutted by cutting ends off, ripping everything out and reweld caps. Did this 18,500 miles and 3 years ago. Bike runs perfect, 42-43 MPG, not an issue and sounds like a V4 should. In my experience dealers know among the least of anyone about our bikes, and they act like they know the most. Dangerous combination.

Ultimately based on my experience, I think it's more of a "farkle" then a true performance enhancing step. I really do like the way it sounds now. Louder, but not terribly obtrusive. My wife can't distinguish the sounds from the bike from other traffic noise (we live in a fairly quiet neighborhood) for more than a couple of hundred yards as I ride away from our house (exhaust pointing right at our front porch the whole time) when I leave for work in the morning - and she's sitting on our front porch with my son. She says that the neighborhood harleys are so much more obtrusive than the VFR. :tour:

It's just me, but I would recommend that you examine some of the you-tube videos of the various other "guts" of the 6th Gen VFR exhaust to see how they are put together. Preserving the inner liner of perforated metal and the fiberglass sound absorbing matting (between the perforated metal and the muffler shell) is, I think, very critical to keeping any "tinniness" out of the exhaust note.

Downside is it's not a reversible mod unless you buy another OEM pipe(s)....

Plus of you sell the bike, majority of buyers prefer the original pipes/setup.....

... Which is what I did. I bought another stock system, so I still have my original stock system.

I now doubt that I will sell this bike, given how long I keep most of my rolling stock. Even if I did, the change is mild enough that most buyers really wouldn't notice that it's rumblier (unless they have a VFR with a stock system, or recently tested one, or heard one run.

I have absolutely no reason I would ever go back to the un-gutted exhaust system. It is not nearly as loud as most of the aftermarket systems, and the appearance is just like stock to all but the most discerning eye (only noticible at all because of my somewhat amateurish stainless welding) .

- I have not been the object of undue attention from any law enforcement.

- My neighbors don't complain, etc.

I just don't see going back to a stock system - only reason to change at all would be to gain a bunch more HP and torque, but even the best aftermarket systems don't make that much of a difference for the VFR unless you get a complete system.

In addition, IMHO, even the best aftermarket systems just don't look as good as the OEM system.

• Member Contributer

I rode Gradus' gutted 6th gen in 2012

http://vid113.photobucket.com/albums/n206/Dutchy_748/1tmac/2fe802f8.mp4

Not sure if he also de-snorkeled the airbox....

Don't you wish you could ride it every week like I do !!!

Oh yeah cut it , gutted it and open it up !!! Then enjoy it !!!! I would not change mine back to the bike it was .

Archived