6Th Gen Pair/reed Valve Removal... First Impressions

ihilker

I finally got around to removing the pair valve selenoid and using block off plates that I purchased long ago.

So far... I'm very happy with the results. It idles much smoother... with no "clickity clack" that a motorcycle mechanic erroneously told me was crank shaft noise from having 55k miles on the odometer. That BS has been solved. No more exhaust popping during deceleration in low gears... which has always annoyed me and was the main reason for me doing the mod in the first place. Plus, I just don't like having useless crap on my bike... it can join my EVAP canister at the junk yard.

Altogether I give it this mod two thumbs up...

-Isaac

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DannyMoto

I did the pair removal. Fairly straight forward.

The only thing that is "odd" is the reed valves in the valve covers.

When I got my plates, they were flat, and had no gasket around them. So in order to have some protection against oil weeping, I took the reed valves out, removed the screws, popped the reeds out, and re-installed them. This way, the rubber gaskets will help against any unwanted oil escaping.

Other than that I will say they help out with hesitation and exhaust popping a HUGE amount.

At the time I had the Delkevic exhaust, flapper disable, snorkel removed.

That was as smooth as it ever ran before I got my PCV that is... muahahaha.

To really smooth these bikes out, you need O2 eliminators and a Power Commander... but the PAIR removal is great for what it does.

• Member Contributer

Mine would pop after idling for a while . But not now block out plates installed ..

What engine modifications did you have prior to installing the plates?

Sorry Spud did not see this question . None the bike had 1236 miles when I purchase it . And at first the bike had no problems but after 8000 or 9000 miles it started and got worst . I did the marble trick and purchase the A&A plates.

When i removed the pair valves the metal diaphragm was crack on both heads.

(((((When i removed the pair valves the metal diaphragm was crack on both heads)))))

Maybe that was the reason, at 110,000 miles Ive never had any popping decel issues at all, deceling in any gear from high rpm, at idle or otherwise. So its strange that some bikes have issue and some bikes don't. Your case I guess the peddles weren't working correctly.