Techspec Tank Grips On 02+ Vfr800

signal

I recently bought a set of TechSpec tank grips for my 2003 VFR800.

I am concerned that the lines of the grips don't match with the lines of the tank.

The top and bottom lines of the grip are parallel, just as the top and bottom lines of the tank are parallel. But the forward line is a different angle than the 02+ VFR800. The part they sell, 62-051-SS is the same part number for all VFR800's. The picture they show on their site of a VFR800 looks great, but its an earlier model than the 02+ and I am not sure if the tank lines/geometries are the same.

​Its possible they sent me the wrong grips, I am not sure, I am inquiring with them about it. The bag said the right part number, but it was a sticker, and underneath the sticker the bag was marked for a Triumph 675...........

I am posting a picture, if someone with a 02+ VFR800 and TechSpec grips can let me know if this matches what they have. You can see the top and bottom lines of the tank match with the grip but the forward line does not.

photo

That's weird of them not to bother lining up that pad leading edge to the tank front edge. If that's the right part for your VFR, then it might be just their using a "Gudenof" design approach to their products.....

They only state they work on the 5th gen, but they looked very good on my 4th gen as well. Now they are on my 6th and yes, it's not perfect, but still looks operator.

Who states that? The Tech Spec website says VFR800, and doesn't list years.

When you goto Twisted Throttle and Search by Bike, they come up and show the part as "Tech Spec Gripster set for VFR800 '98-'07"

• Member Contributer

Looks great and they work great! Not sure why you are so concerned about it? Ride...

Better then the "Bra" by a long shot.

I got them on my fifth

I am not overly concerned with it. Just wanted to make sure I didn't get the wrong part or that TechSpec was aware. No reason there cutter couldn't match the exact angle of the VFR800 02+, and it would keep the same function and look even better. I was impressed with Tech Spec because all their applications seem to be so perfectly laser cut for each geometry, so that's what I expected when I purchased. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to make a big issue of this, I am just inquiring is all.

As far as how they work, I wouldn't want to install them any lower (below the lower tank line) as that would look bad, but these would work much better if I could get my knees up just a little more. I am a bit short, 29" or so inseam. I thought about peg risers, which works fine for the left side as you can adjust the shifter, but not sure how that would effect the brake side of things. Other option which is on my wish list is Sato rear sets, but they only offer a 12.5mm rise at most (which is about 1/2 inch)........they look so good though.

• Member Contributer

I would not be surprised if they made one pattern that is "kinda" good for the fifth and sixth gens, as opposed to making two patterns. Looks to me you have them in a great spot on the tank.

A

• 5 weeks later...

Glad you observed this. Mine are on their way and now I'll want to pay more attention than 'normal' to how they are lined-up on this surface.

Yours looks fine - follows the lines of the tank. As you said, a little trim parallel to the frame line and voila, per-fect.