Tar Snakes

JimGregory

Maybe because the tar snakes had a year to cure and harden?

Nope, it's a road I ride often but first time through on the VFR. The Michelin's did it on all roads. They were so bad that even on the freeway curves which are very mild, I would try to go through as upright as possible.

• Member Contributer

I am a Michelin Man (as evidenced by my ample profile) but finally found a pair of Dunflops that I will recommend. I love the Q3.

I don't know if RC51Jim had a set of Michelins (since he isn't sure of the tire model Power, Road or ?) that were old or worn excessively but I have not found the type of tire to have much impact on the sliding coefficient of friction of tar snakes.

They remain as slippery as snake sh!t on a linoleum floor in heat and very cold temps.

I am a Michelin Man (as evidenced by my ample profile) but finally found a pair of Dunflops that I will recommend. I love the Q3.

I don't know if RC51Jim had a set of Michelins (since he isn't sure of the tire model Power, Road or ?) that were old or worn excessively but I have not found the type of tire to have much impact on the sliding coefficient of friction of tar snakes.

They remain as slippery as snake sh!t on a linoleum floor in heat and very cold temps.

I did look up what tires I had, and they were Pilot Power 3's (not excessively worn). Rode them for another 1,000 miles, replaced as I never did like the handling. All is good now with the Roadsmarts.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On August 14, 2014 at 5:23 PM, CornerCarver said:

Highway 60 here in North GA had some tar snakes added to make the road even more exciting a few years ago between Suches and Morganton.

Polarized glasses make them stand out in any lighting condition.

The snakes that cross the road (ie perpendicular more or less to the direction of travel) no problem - the snakes that run in your direction of travel can make even a well suspended bike squirm about uncomfortably but it is good to paractice riding them to develop feel/feedback experience from the front and rear slipping and re-gripping.

Much worse results usually occur when a pilot alters their line to avoid tar snakes after leaned over or over-thinks the tar snake and losses down field vision instead while focusing on the slippery lil suckers

Georgia is the tar snake capital of the world.  Lots of tar snake applicators on the payroll......

There is a local road with some nice tight turns, the local government decided to tar snake the crap out of the last section as soon as you enter the 2nd curve and for the next several hundred feet almost to the stop sign. They have never repaired any section of road this way before. Also they did the same on a turn I take approaching my house, and at a few other intersections and roads nearby. I cant stand riding on these tar snakes at anywhere above 80 degrees. The mess they made out of one section looks like a group of 5 year olds spent the day drawing in tar all over the road.

Archived