5Th Gen Vfr Ride Height Question

vfr4

Morning all :cool:

I'm posting this here as modifications may have been the wrong place.

Whats the ratio between shock height and ride height?

Also what is a sensible increase in one or the other?

Many thanks in advance,

Al

• Member Contributer

Here's a reply from Jamie Daugherty in a thread about using a CBR929 shock in the 5th generation VFR:

"More ride height helps on these bikes. I usually suggest at least 5mm but you can run up to 10mm if desired. It's about a 3:1 ratio of shock length to ride height. That means an increase of 5mm at the shock translates to 15mm at the axle. "

What he's referring to here is either making the shock longer (the CBR929 shock needs to have a spacer made anyway, it's much shorter than stock) or spacing the top shock mount downwards. There is a bolted clevis fitting attached to the frame at the top (under the back of the fuel tank), and you can slip washers between the clevis and frame to move the top shock mount down.

More ride height at the rear does a couple of things:

1. It gives more ground clearance for your feet and footpegs when leaned over

2. It steepens the steering rake for quicker steering

There's a limit to how far you should go with such things; the clevis bolt itself needs to project through the frame far enough for the nut to be secured, and if you move the rear wheel down too far there'll be no clearance between the tyre and ground on the centre-stand, and eventually the shock linkage contacts the exhaust pipe. You are also trading off faster steering for less stability. I'd start small.

Archived