Blue Ridge Parkway 6 Aug 2014

I took a trip from Spotsylvania, VA, to Marion, VA, on Aug 6th to go to court for a speeding ticket I'd received on my way to visit family back over the July 4th holiday (91 in a 70--got it reduce & paid a lower fine). On the way back, it was hot & traffic on I-85 was sucking ballz (as it always does), so I decided I'd hit the Blue Ridge Parkway to relieve the heat & slab traffic. I'd done portions of it before but never the entire thing & I didn't have to be at work the next day so thought, "what the hell!" I knew it would tak longer, but underestimated EXACTLY how much longer...

Got on the parkway just north of Roanoke about 5:30 p.m. & got off at I-64 22 miles west of Charlottesville about 10:30 that night....

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS DRIVE! Beautiful vistas, amazing twisties, astounding sunset~

The best part, I didn't see a single automobile the first 90 miles! Saw a couple of motorcycles, but that was it. I was surreal. I never saw a single cop the entire 107 miles. 45 MPH speed limit, but I was happily cruising along at 54 MPH.

No bear this time, but saw TONS of deer, especially after dusk. Fog crept in around 9 p.m. & it was a little spooky~

Around the time the fog rolled in, I hit a piece of the parkway where they were repaving & only had dirt/gravel base for about 2 miles. Glad I wasn't flying when I hit that~

The pictures truly do not do it justice. I highly recommend everyone do this at least once in your life.

1947635369_zps13f78e8f.jpg

1947609349_zps76bd4608.jpg

1947583125_zps27b5c61c.jpg

1947560941_zpsbc4497a1.jpg

1947521161_zps1f251dae.jpg

1947464767_zps764b0c05.jpg

1947402179_zps2f35ef0a.jpg

1947370667_zps4697b91a.jpg

1947291871_zps20aed2fb.jpg

1947276739_zps93912e81.jpg

1947238893_zpsec9a560d.jpg

1947222934_zps72987521.jpg

1947209861_zpsfe8bce26.jpg

1947195072_zpsf038edad.jpg

1947167070_zps4cf630bf.jpg

• Member Contributer

I know you said the pics don't do it justice, but they're still enticing. Very nice. Fog is definitely not the best conditions to ride in, but it sure makes for a mystical feeling, doesn't it? It absorbs the noise, I like it. Thanks for the pics.

BTW, it's on my bucket list…

C

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the pics. I'm ridding the entire 465 miles from Cherokee NC to Roanoke VA, Sept 22. How is the last 100 miles of Skyline drive in Shenandoah? i will be turning around to go back Asheville, so trying to decided if worth the extra 200 miles?

Thx

• Member Contributer

In 2012, Gradus led me up the BRP to get me on my way for my TMAC adventure (on his 6th gen).

As we approached Little Switzerland, the rain and fog came in. I had 2 choices; drop down and catch the Interstate toward TN or go on the BRP.

I didnot cross the Atlantic to ride interstate, so up I went. Yeah it was pishing down and a bit foggy. But the roads were empty and had a ball.

A week later Gradus and I drove back from TMAC, clear sun, it was great. Even at 70MPH....

Thanks for the pics. I'm ridding the entire 465 miles from Cherokee NC to Roanoke VA, Sept 22. How is the last 100 miles of Skyline drive in Shenandoah? i will be turning around to go back Asheville, so trying to decided if worth the extra 200 miles?

Thx

Personally? I don't care for the Shenendoah portion....it drops to 35 mph & there's a lot more traffic & police presence. Scenery is beautiful, but not worth it to me.....

you know, I bitch that there is no where to ride near me, but that looks just as pretty as the Eifel and it is an hour from my house.

You should come ride out to West Virginia with me sometime...some REALLY fun roads!

• Member Contributer

Thx

Personally? I don't care for the Shenendoah portion....it drops to 35 mph & there's a lot more traffic & police presence. Scenery is beautiful, but not worth it to me.....

you know, I bitch that there is no where to ride near me, but that looks just as pretty as the Eifel and it is an hour from my house.

You should come ride out to West Virginia with me sometime...some REALLY fun roads!

good summary of that part...lots more tourists as well...becasue of proximity to DC...but the park is prett yand the hiking opportunities are nice as well. Some day it is worth doing--but in a car just as much as a bike...pull off, do a hike, back to car, rinse repeat...

I myself with Wrestler and Rolling_Again tried to ride the BRP in a morning and we could not make it as planned, due to heavy foggy.

DSC03829.jpg

DSC03832.jpg

DSC03827.jpg

DSC03828.jpg

We gotta head back to Cherokee on that day. I had great two days to explore all BRP after that.

Awesome place. Unforgettable period of time in life.

DSC04394.jpg

I was wishing of Wrestler and RollingAgain being there with me:
DSC04391.jpg

Although nearly 30 years have passed since the first time I rode some of sections of the BRP in VA on two wheels, so far I have never become bored by re-exploring this amazing beautiful 569-mile stretch of uninterrupted pavement as it meanders & flows along the ridges of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

I've been planning to take off from work this Wed. thru Fri. and thanks to this thread and a currently favorable weather forecast I'm now considering using some of the time off to refresh my long-term memories of riding along the BRP yet again.

Sure wish I could shake hands with, and express my appreciation to the former leaders and politicians who had the foresight to preserve the land and put depression era citizens to work building this remarkable road long before I was born. I sure hope my descendants will come to appreciate and enjoy the BRP for many years into the future as much as I have enjoyed it during my lifetime.

Archived