1997 Fork Paint

zumper

• Member Contributer

Hello, The photo shows the general state of the fork paint on my bike, I should like to use a suitable touch up paint to improve them, i read somewhere that Rustoleum Dull Aluminium is a fairly close match? Anyway, i do not have the funds or expertise to powdercoat or polish the legs, i would just wish to tidy them up a bit, Any thoughts on a good oem paint match? ( i don't want to paint them black!) Thanks.

post-28831-0-20310800-1407531266.jpg

I bought a buffing wheel at Harbor Freight for like, $30. $10 for compound and polish. If you wanted to go that route. I don't think I would care for polished forks myself. The cheapest route would be plastidip. As for paint, I do remember seeing someone recently post something about that. The Dull Aluminum would probably be a pretty close match. Paint some scrap cardboard and compare it to the fork after it dries.

Use hammerite "silver" available in any DIY store. I have done that many times on different bikes.

Just sand it with 400 grid, especially the dents, wipe i with a cloth moistened with thinner then two coats of hammerite and they look like new.

post-5137-0-68154600-1407573413.jpg

I usually put a little thinner i the can and then use a sponge to paint with.It'll be smooth and have a look like its sprayed, try it on a pipe or card board as a test.

It doesn't take any masking and you can even paint them on the bike

Archived