R/r Flip Plate Mount For The Fh020Aa Shindengen R/r

mello dude

Question

• Member Contributer

On a recent 6th gen R/R job, I made this R/R flip plate to mount the FH020aa R/R. Went together pretty clean. On this one, its a hacksaw production, but if I made a batch, I would go to my Laser guy. Its looking like mostly a 6th gen part, would work with 5th with some spacers or drilling a couple holes, and maybe 4th gen. (Its been quite awhile since I looked at a 4th gen.) Its a good heat sink too.

I'm tempted to do CNC a laser batch, but was wondering ---- anybody have interest in this? I'm not sure if this is a white elephant.

Thanks all.

RRMountingPlate01.jpg

RRMountingPlate02.jpg

RRMountingPlate04.jpg

RRMountingPlate05.jpg

• Answers 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Member Contributer

Pardon the potentially dumb question...why is this needed? I thought the FH202A would mount on the existing bolts?

I'm assuming you mean FH020AA --- will not mount on stock position with the existing bolts. That's why the plate is needed. Bolt up no problem. No fab or anything.

• Member Contributer

Hey MD, I've a fifth gen and put an upgraded r/r from Wire My Bike along with his harness. My memory is weak so I cannot remember the exact arrangement but it installed just fine. The advantage I see with your device is an additional heat sink between the frame and r/r.

What kind of drilling would be necessary to adapt this to a fifth gen? A hand drill with mostly dull bits. Will that do?

If it'd be a easy mod, I'd love one.

• Member Contributer

Hey MD, I've a fifth gen and put an upgraded r/r from Wire My Bike along with his harness. My memory is weak so I cannot remember the exact arrangement but it installed just fine. The advantage I see with your device is an additional heat sink between the frame and r/r.

What kind of drilling would be necessary to adapt this to a fifth gen? A hand drill with mostly dull bits. Will that do?

If it'd be a easy mod, I'd love one.

You're right it is a great heat sink, being .19 thick...........

For a 5th gen install.....

mountplatemod1.jpg

You would use the Flip plate to locate the holes that you will drill to allow clearance of the head. Roughly 5/8ths.

• Member Contributer

Very nice work Mello Dude... just like your PAIR block off plates!

I have a CBR1k R/R for my project bike, I need to see whether that requires the flip plate and I will let you know...

Mello Dude's Garage is turning into a nice place to shop for prefabbed mods!!!

• Member Contributer

I'm awaiting my backing plates with wild anticipation.

You rock mello dude!

Max -- You should recieve your plates about Thursday. As I have PM'd I think all you need to do is unbolt your R/R and slide the plate over your current bolts and mount it back where it was.

Easy as pie.

• Member Contributer

I like easy-peasy-pie.

The reason I'm adding this is when I decided to install LED headlights (discussed elsewhere - I really like the results), because they draw significantly less power from the stator, there would be more load on the electrical system to dissipate the extra available current. So I upgraded the r/r as well as adding the VFRness. Having been stranded 150 mi from home when my first 2001 VFR r/r & stator went south (around 80,000 mi), I'm taking all precautions to avoid a repeat. The plate will add a lot of heat sinking, I hope.

Thanks again m d.

• Member Contributer

This was a very easy install. Leaves me with a secure feeling about my electrical system. The work was top shelf.

I highly recommend this simple solution.

• Member Contributer

Bumping this thread - I have plenty of mounting plate kits for the FH020AA for 6th gens...Its been kinda quiet since the Great VFRD crash.....

:cool::beer:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, mello dude said:

Bumping this thread - I have plenty of mounting plate kits for the FH020AA for 6th gens...Its been kinda quiet since the Great VFRD crash.....

:cool::beer:

When was this Great Crash? I seem to have missed it.

• Member Contributer
On 1/15/2017 at 0:52 AM, MysteryRider246 said:

When was this Great Crash? I seem to have missed it.

Jeez, cant seem to date it - what October? --- HS switched the forum software to this current version.... 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, mello dude said:

Jeez, cant seem to date it - what October? --- HS switched the forum software to this current version.... 

I started this thread the first day the site was back up, after what - about 5 days or so? 

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/83371-were-back-woot/#comment-1035322

• Member Contributer
34 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

I started this thread the first day the site was back up, after what - about 5 days or so? 

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index.php?/forums/topic/83371-were-back-woot/#comment-1035322

Whoa... April ... missed that....Not that I give a hoot, but I seem to have lost around 1000 posts in the transition.....

• Member Contributer

Everyone took a haircut on post count - somehow it cut off posts prior to a certain date - I don't recall why.  Long time members seemed to take the biggest hit.  Links got broken as well, so old bookmarks / favorites no longer worked - AFAIK mostly corrected now. 

• Member Contributer

Just to clarify for future readers, the VFRD crash was not a collective crash of all VFRD members bikes; it was a crash of the actual website.:wink:

Archived