Question

• Member Contributer

Hey gang

Offering pair valve plates for 5th and 6th gens

$29.95 plus shipping

$7.00 US

$12.50 Canada

$17.00 UK

Apologies, but no shipping to Australia - I lost 2 sets and ended up shipping new via priority. If you want to pay priority shipping, I will consider. 

(expensive) 

These are 6061 T6, Laser cut, minor polish finish. Exact shape of our VFRs.

Stainless Steel Fasteners included.

Pairvalveset.jpg

For assembled on engine pics

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78499-new-pair-block-off-plates-mello-dudes-garage/

(as a btw, this thread replaces the one that was accidentally deleted)

• Member Contributer

Bumping this to say I received a new batch of plates available.... to the members that asked for them, sorry for the delay guys....

:cool:

• Member Contributer

These are quality pieces! Put me down for a set for my '01. Will get the money to you this week.

• Member Contributer

I'll stir up the damn hornet's nest again on behalf of everyone else.... :goofy:

What's the purpose of the block-off plates and why should people add these (very reasonably priced and well-made) items to their bike?

• Member Contributer

I'll stir up the damn hornet's nest again on behalf of everyone else.... :goofy:

What's the purpose of the block-off plates and why should people add these (very reasonably priced and well-made) items to their bike?

A somewhat bastardized drunk explaination..... the pair valves inject air into the exhaust to mix the air with the exhuast gases and reduce emissions. .... A side effect is that the gases will burn and you get and occasional "pop" from your exhaust. -- You could just plug the hoses up and be done with it, but if you like a clean engine bay, you can strip the guts out, and cover it with these plates. The engine looks more sano....

Plz anybody chime in if you have more explaination.......

These are quality pieces! Put me down for a set for my '01. Will get the money to you this week.

Thanks! Shoot me a PM for a heads up.... :cool:

• Member Contributer

I've been waiting for this new batch to arrive. Money sent. :woohoo:

• Member Contributer

I have a set of these and am very happy with them. When I got them it motivated me to remove the PAIR system, and synch the starter valves while I was at it. Doing that really does seem to have smoothed out the little just-off-idle jerkiness. It wasn't very bad, but now is basically nonexistent.

However, one small thing: my plates weren't completely flat and I could get a .002 feeler gauge under them when bolted down. Yeah, that's pretty much a non-issue, but I pulled them off and filed them flat so there was zero clearance. I also used the reed valve rubber gaskets to seal everything up. I didn't remove the reed valve, just filed down the bolt head and was good to go.

• Member Contributer

Yes - I still have these. - As a btw, during the week I usually work 60 + hours and quite often I have to go out of town --- so on these plates, I ship on Saturdays.

• Member Contributer

Mike does quality work. I have his PAIR valve blockoff plates on all of my VFRs... beautiful and not expensive.

• Member Contributer

Thanks! ----- My roots are in automotive engineering, so that kinda carries over to anything I come up with.

:beer::cool::beer:

• Member Contributer

I'd love to get a pair of these for the 5th Gen if you still have any available.

In the process of some maintenance and everything is torn apart anyway. Might as well remove this extra stuff too!

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I'd love to get a pair of these for the 5th Gen if you still have any available.

In the process of some maintenance and everything is torn apart anyway. Might as well remove this extra stuff too!

Thanks!

Plz PM for information on ordering. :cool:

• Member Contributer

Thanks!

Plz PM for information on ordering. :cool:

Thanks! Sent!

A somewhat bastardized drunk explaination..... the pair valves inject air into the exhaust to mix the air with the exhuast gases and reduce emissions. .... A side effect is that the gases will burn and you get and occasional "pop" from your exhaust. -- You could just plug the hoses up and be done with it, but if you like a clean engine bay, you can strip the guts out, and cover it with these plates. The engine looks more sano....

I've never heard such a sound from my bike.

Last year saw the topic http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78499-new-pair-block-off-plates-mello-dudes-garage/and I decided to make this modification.

After a 12,000 km behind I am disappointed in this mod:

the engine runs less stable idling;

between 2k-3k rpm torque down a little;

cold start requires more turns of the starter.

Maybe I did something wrong, or maybe my '04 vfr has another problems that appear in the background of this modification.

Someone was doing comparative tests on the dyno (or any other instrumental tests) with a PAIR and with block-off plates? Or are guided by subjective feelings?

1ex: syncronize your starter valves and make sure those plates really do seal hermetically, perhaps one is warped.

I'll plan to do it this winter. When last time I checked plates - all looked normal. But I'll check it later anyway.

1ex, 2-3k rpm should IMPROVE with this mod;...

That's why I decided to make this mod.

Thanks guys, I try to eliminate possible problems, before finally decide to revert the mod or not.

• Member Contributer

The plates are great, but mine weren't completely flat. I had to do some filing to get them really flat. Also I ground down the nuts on the reed valves so I could use the rubber gaskets to help seal the plates. Mine felt smoother after I was done. But of course that's purely subjective.

• Member Contributer

Do you have a set for a 2003 6th gen?

Send me a pp request if you do.

These pair valve plates fit all 5th and 6th gen, plus blackbird. --- Possibly 8th?

Archived