Any Good Shorter Rides Around Dfw?

polbit

Can anybody recommend any good 2-4 hour rides around DFW area? I have moved down here 5 years ago, and have never ridden a bike anywhere but work.... Sold my last bike 4 years ago before my twins were born, and never got a chance to learn the area as far as good bike riding... I lasted 4 years without a bike before having to buy one, but now I don't want to ride to work, I want to ride for fun... Really need some good suggestions... Wife's taking the kids back home to visit the grandparents for two weeks this weekend, and I need to put in as much riding as I can... Help!

• Member Contributer

Hmmm...2-4 hours. Isn't that about how long it takes to get to a fast food joint from your house? :goofy:

Sorry, couldn't resist. The DFW area is ridiculous and I am glad the family I visit down there regularly just moved from Bedford to Wetherford so I don't have to deal with the never ending highway construction that infests that metroplex.

I'll stop interrupting though so the local experts can chime in but I recall my brother saying the drive out to Possum Kingdom was nice. :wink:

• Member Contributer

It would be a bit more than 5 hours but a trip to East Texas would give you the most opportunity for curvey roads. I'd suggest stopping at The Forge in Ben Wheeler for a pizza or burger. After lunch walk across the street for ice cream and check out Brooks Gremmel's motorcycle collection which includes an RC45. After that, head south toward Palestine on what I consider the best road in East Texas. Give me a heads up and maybe I can meet you for lunch.

THE MAP

DTCH6144-Edit.jpg

• Member Contributer

My normal route from Mckinney to Sherman and back takes about 2.5-3 hrs depending on how fast you like ride down the straights and how many stops you need. I usually stop once for fuel and restroom and that's it. Others want to kick tires and/or go to some elaborate breakfast/lunch.

I forget which lake it is in Tarrant County, but there are some really good roads around that lake. I've only ridden that stuff 1-2 times and that was 13-14 years ago.

• Member Contributer

I live in Flower Mound so most of the short area rides I do are NW to N from me.

On Sundays I usually leave at sunrise and I’m back home by 1:00 PM after about 200 -300 miles.

I encounter almost no traffic on this route on Sunday mornings. It has some decent curves / twisties (for this part of TX) and some elevation changes. On 373 / 2382 (up near the red river) there is some good views since you are on an elevated bluff.

From where you are if you go 287 North to Decatur you can hit FM730 North to FM 455

455 left ( west) to Forestburg to 677

677 North to St. Joe (hwy 82)

Right (east) on 82 for a few blocks, then left (north on) 2382

2382 North to 373

Right (east) on 373 (it then heads south into Muenster)

373 (straight south out of Muenster) to 922

922 left (East) to 372 (before reaching 372 you will pass through Valley View and pass under I-35E)

372 right (south) to 3002 (when heading south on 372 it goes left but you want to stay on the main road which becomes 3002 and heads east)

3002 west to I-35E

I-35E south to 455 (In Sanger)

455 right (west) to 730

730 left (south) to Decatur

Have a safe ride.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

What Mark said. Also if you want to go west and south you could run over to hwy 51 in Granbury and go south to 67 , the left on 67 to FM203, go right and explore the good roads down there.

Thanks guys! Looks like I have few things to try. So far I've put 500 miles on the bike just riding around the local lakes, but finding curvy roads here is challenging on your own... And riding at slower speeds in this damn heat is tiring to say the least.

• 1 year later...

Know this is a little late just saw this thread and sure you will be looking for place to ride again. I have been on many of the roads above and they are in great area I ride as well. Here is also some roads farther out too. Some of these above are listed in article. I have the actual magazine issue somewhere but this will suffice. Check it out and good luck.

http://www.ridetexas.com/best-in-texas-readers-choice-awards-results-roads/

Archived