Acetone To Weld Body Panels?

Waller

Hi,

I am a newbie to the forum. I just bought a 91 750. Love it so far; first bike since college and I am 55, so it is a bit much for me, but taking it slow.

I have a poorly repaired middle right faring. presentable from 10 feet or more, and may want to fix it up.

I have read about doing repairs using acetone to dissolve abs plastic and applying that to the cracks. Which brings up these questions:

Are the fairings painted in any way, or are they the same color material through and through (my bike is at my other house, so I can't check)

Has anyone used this technique? Here is a youtube example

skip to 5:30 to see what he is doing.

Does anyone have a red fairing from that era that is beyond repair to act as raw material for melting with acetone and creating a red glue?

Thanks for any advice you may have

Waller

• Member Contributer

The acetone welding does work on ABS plastics, but its really only good on cracks & you have to be very careful of over runs.

I used to weld plastic model plane parts together with acetone when I was a kid. the weld was pretty much permanent, but as noted, be careful of spillage and runs as it will melt any plastic surface it comes in contact with....

• Member Contributer

Look for the topics posted on VFRD by member RESIN

Perfect. I "won" the fleabay cowl. Now I can experiment on the old one, assuming the newer one is actually in better condition.

So I low side on my right ABS hard bag at 60 mph, worn through I welded it back together and built up missing ABS using layers of ABS cement like used for drain pipes. It is made of ABS suspended in acetone. The new material is as solid as the original. Easy to sand in to shape, prime, and paint.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived