Front End Wag

yycviffer

• Member Contributer

All right, well I got back from the PNW meet last week. (thanks again choco). I need to pick the brains of the handling gurus on this site. Here's what happened: Several times during the ride, deep into a fairly agressive corner the front end of the bike would "wag" side to side. This happened at a fairly consistent frequency. It was not "tank slapping" The whole front of the bike felt like it was going back and forth like it does when you ride on grooved pavement that is being resurfaced. Also, it was not all the time. It only seemed to happened when I was pushing what I would consider pretty hard given my skill level.

I do not believe it was the road surface, also tires are good, pressures are good and all that baloney. If anyone can comment on this from experience, or has constructive input, I would appreciate it. I am thinking maybe fork flex on my skinny 41's?

Thanks guys,

Had the same issue, doubted its something big (forks need to be serviced or steering stem bearings), checked/adjusted my tires pressure, adjusted/increased forks preload to my weight (turn out it was set way too soft) and that only made a night and day difference when i took the bike out for some back roads today

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the input guys, I sent an e-mail to Jammie and he figured it might actually related to the rear end. Not sure what I am going to do.............

• Member Contributer

I've noticed that same grooved pavement feel this season as well. Checked the norms like you and i have to wonder about the health of the steering headset bearings maybe seen better days.

All right, well I got back from the PNW meet last week. (thanks again choco). I need to pick the brains of the handling gurus on this site. Here's what happened: Several times during the ride, deep into a fairly agressive corner the front end of the bike would "wag" side to side. This happened at a fairly consistent frequency. It was not "tank slapping" The whole front of the bike felt like it was going back and forth like it does when you ride on grooved pavement that is being resurfaced. Also, it was not all the time. It only seemed to happened when I was pushing what I would consider pretty hard given my skill level.

I do not believe it was the road surface, also tires are good, pressures are good and all that baloney. If anyone can comment on this from experience, or has constructive input, I would appreciate it. I am thinking maybe fork flex on my skinny 41's?

Thanks guys,

It sounds more like a tire issue than anything else....

• Member Contributer

In my case not so sure, put new tires on and i have not noticed improvement on the feeling, messing with pressure has not remedied.

• Member Contributer

Aside from the weave, does the front end feel normal? There's a couple of valve sets in each leg and I could imagine a retaining nut/bolt coming loose on these (they're meant to have Loctite used). Could be a loose rebound valve causing extra bounce? If that is the case the forks would still hold together but you would lose half of the damping. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

It was all normal until pushed reasonably hard through tight corners. I am quite confident the stem bearings are fine as I put a taper kit in last winter and also went through the forks as well. I hoped on a 6 gen during that trip andfelt the front just felt better/more connected to the road. That's why I was kinda wondering about the difference in fork diameter and if a guy could notice it while riding. Honda must have felt there was a benefit to larger forks....... Honestly, I may do nothing. I do not have the fortune to ride roads like that very often, let alone to keep up with a good group. Maybe I just live with it or maybe I do an F4i fork conversion. I have been eyeing up the clip ons on the 8 gen. Mine only has 70,000 Km on her so she should have lots of life left in her.

Archived