Speedometer Going Weird

ShadowJP88

Hello,

Today I've been riding on a hot day for a couple hours. After maybe, 3 hours whitout any trouble and running on highway, on a red light, both needles was moving, starting from 0 and doing a 1/4 of the quadrant. The engine was running, no Fi light. I stop it and when trying to start, the battery was not having enough power, this also reset the hours. I needed to start it using compression

I run 45 minutes, stopped to gaz it and it started whitout any trouble...

Another day, I run 1 hour on rain, stopped a bit when the rain stop and it didn't start again.

Both times, after a few hours, it start whitout any trouble...

I don't know how old is the battery.

Got any idea?

• Member Contributer

Sounds like the charging system is Tango Uniform.

I would have the battery tested but you also need to verify operation of the stator and reg/rec before just plopping a new battery in and riding away with a smile.

A weak charging system will kill the new battery in a couple months depending on how much you ride.

Stator test link http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/29102-stator-tests/

Load test the battery and see if they can get a manufacture date on it while they're testing. If it's bad, replace.

You'll also need to test out the charging system as mentioned above to ensure you don't have two problems (bad charging system can wreck a battery).

Check your connections too. I had some weird stuff happen a few weeks ago and found the negative battery cable only snug on the battery terminal.

I'm still on the fence whether it is more than the cable, but so far that is all I have found.

Sounds like the charging system is Tango Uniform.

I would have the battery tested but you also need to verify operation of the stator and reg/rec before just plopping a new battery in and riding away with a smile.

A weak charging system will kill the new battery in a couple months depending on how much you ride.

Stator test link http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/29102-stator-tests/

x2

• Member Contributer

On a Y2k VFR there are at least two things that could cause a wonky speedometer reading: the plastic crankshaft piece getting rounded-out (a $10 easy fix) or the reg/rec going schitzo. The latter is not such an easy (or cheap) fix. Unfortunately, the non-starting situation goes only with the reg/rec going bad (though the speedo sender thing could go at any time), so my guess would be that you've got the more serious problem.

You cannot solve it without a multimeter, unless you want to replace the entire charging system, including wiring harness, so if you don't have one, get one. The first thing to check is the charging voltage at 5,000rpm and compare that voltage to the voltage specified in the Haynes or Honda repair manuals. That will tell you if your problem is one of overcharging (very bad) or simply undercharging (bad)...

If you're undercharging the potential for damage to other parts of the charging system is much less than if you are overcharging. Overcharging will definitely kill the battery, many of the connectors and possibly the stator, various bulbs and even the circuit board behind the clocks. Good luck.

Ciao,

• 3 weeks later...

Adding to what I precedently experienced, this morning, the clock was at 1:00am and my trip meter was reset... weird

When I stop it at job, the screen completly disappears. Start it back but it havent shown.

My job is at 15 minutes in traffic.

I haven't take time to do all check for battery and r/r, prefering to ride for the rest of the summer. But if that can give more presicion or tell me it's something else other..

• Member Contributer

I haven't take time to do all check for battery and r/r, prefering to ride for the rest of the summer. But if that can give more presicion or tell me it's something else other..

Other than the big 3, Battery, R/R and Stator, the wiring harness and ground connections would be something to check as well. What causes the R/R and Stator to fail isn't that these parts aren't made well, it's their delivery system that seems to be at fault (wiring), hence the wiring harness recall that Honda did and the need for the VFRness. The stator also has the issue of only being half bathed in oil for cooling so that might add to its sometimes early retirement, but I believe it's still the wiring that causes it to overheat in the first place. If the R/R isn't able to do its job, then the stator makes too much power that can't go anywhere. Since one job of the R/R is to turn unused power into heat (hence the heat sink on it), if it cannot get that power, the stator is left with it and thus can over heat and melt the wire sheathing of the windings causing a short and its early demise. This is rather simplified explanation but the gist is the same, check the wiring as well as the other 3.

I should probably note that it could also be the speedometer sensor that can cause the "wonky" speedometer readings, as was the case for my '09 speedometer trouble. However the dash should not be affected by this, unless the sensor is causing a fault inside the dash panel, It does after all, terminate in the dashboard. It is most likely the other items mentioned.

• Member Contributer

I had similar symptoms just before my r/r and stator went south (while I was going north!). That'd be my bet.

Good luck.

It was not only the speed needle that move, the rpm one too.

I'll look tonight for damaged cable.

Is there a way to make the fan start at a lower temperature, maybe that could help a bit?

I also see Oakman in another tread who put a fan directly on the r/r, that seem cheeper that replace them, would that help?

It does the same thing yesterday when I go back home. So I dismantle the front and back fairing to look for damaged cable or something else. I haven't found a lot of things except some rusted bolt under the speedo and theheadlight cable who had a hard time.

I've ride an hour yesterday and the speedo was fine, this morning too...

I've call some place for a replacement R/R but it's way more than what my budget can afford... did one like this could do or it's really some crap?

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=221291935468&alt=web

Here is some pics on my dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t7i0ok4e9r56c6n/AADsnvcvA6cqSuUWFHmaPhhda?dl=0

Mine did the same thing when regulator/rectifier bought it. You can check the plastic speedo nut by taking off the clutch cylinder down by your left foot peg and see if it's warn (make sure to hold on to the cylinder so that it doesn't pop open and leak all your clutch fluid).

My guess is the stator and r/r are fried. Not a cheap repair but essential to keeping your bike running.

The cheaper aftermarket parts are no more successful in the long run - stick with the OEM.

Well... my speedometer is almost dead right now... The digital screen is completly blank too.

If my R/R did my bike can continue to run or I'm better to replace it before running it again?

I'll command a R/R tomorow morning, did'nt have choice. I just want to do my ride this week-end (600 km)

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Well... my speedometer is almost dead right now... The digital screen is completly blank too.

If my R/R did my bike can continue to run or I'm better to replace it before running it again?

I'll command a R/R tomorow morning, did'nt have choice. I just want to do my ride this week-end (600 km)

Thanks!

You might want to checkout your stator too. They went out together on mine.

• Member Contributer

It does the same thing yesterday when I go back home. So I dismantle the front and back fairing to look for damaged cable or something else. I haven't found a lot of things except some rusted bolt under the speedo and theheadlight cable who had a hard time.

I've ride an hour yesterday and the speedo was fine, this morning too...

I've call some place for a replacement R/R but it's way more than what my budget can afford... did one like this could do or it's really some crap?

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=221291935468&alt=web

Here is some pics on my dropbox

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t7i0ok4e9r56c6n/AADsnvcvA6cqSuUWFHmaPhhda?dl=0

Hang on a minute... Looking at the last pic on your Dropbox link, I see two very badly corroded screws in the back of your instrument panel. I am not very familiar with the VFR800Fi instruments, but I do recall that corrosion on the circuit board tracks can cause all kinds of strange behaviour--perhaps including your symptoms? The flexible circuit board itself can be repaired using solder and short lengths of wire to re-complete the corroded circuits. Might be worth a look at the back of your speedometer unit. (Did you ever get a multimeter?)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

also on pic 1 of 9 it looks like the stator wires to your rr are plnched ,I'd check them than check the resistance between all connections on your rr as per your shop manual, but weird speedo issues most likely bad rr or connections

also on pic 1 of 9 it looks like the stator wires to your rr are plnched ,I'd check them than check the resistance between all connections on your rr as per your shop manual, but weird speedo issues most likely bad rr or connections

The cable at the botton of the picture?

I will probably have a new r/r tomorow, hopign it will correct everything.

I'll go buy a multimeter and look under my speedo.

Archived