Contour Roam2 - $99

YoshiHNS

Question

• Member Contributer

contourroam2.jpg

For sale at sellout.woot.com, LINK

It is a nice step above the original ROAM. The little locks on the recording slide are well worth the upgrade alone. A couple of mounting options are included.

In the box:
Contour ROAM2 Waterproof Video Camera
4GB microSD Card
Profile Mount
Rotating Flat Surface Mount
USB 2.0 Cable
Quickstart Guide

I have the black roam 2 and it just stopped working one day. Worked great for about 12 hours of use, and then nothing. Maybe I got a dud, ymmv.

Looking back, I wish I had saved my $100 toward a gopro, or any other company that is actually still in business. I had to find a download for the software, as mine didn't even come with an install disc. Yes it was sealed and new.

As far as the camera and functions when it was working, it takes great video.

• Member Contributer

Looking back, I wish I had saved my $100 toward a gopro, or any other company that is actually still in business.

I read an article recently that said Contour is back in business ... this isn't the one, but it came up in a quick Google search.

Looking back, I wish I had saved my $100 toward a gopro, or any other company that is actually still in business.

I read an article recently that said Contour is back in business ... this isn't the one, but it came up in a quick Google search.

good to know. Thanks for that. I'll try out their new CS soon and see if I can get mine fixed.

Just ordered a green one. The roam was my favorite of all the cameras I have destroyed. And I have destroyed a lot of them.

Thanks yoshi !

• Member Contributer

Looking back, I wish I had saved my $100 toward a gopro, or any other company that is actually still in business. I had to find a download for the software, as mine didn't even come with an install disc. Yes it was sealed and new.

I have two of them, and both have been working great for a couple years now. Only problem was with the original when the slider went to record while it was in my daypack. The lock on the Roam2 solves that.

I have the black roam 2 and it just stopped working one day. Worked great for about 12 hours of use, and then nothing. Maybe I got a dud, ymmv.

As far as the camera and functions when it was working, it takes great video.

I've got some extra mounts if anyone wants them. I'll take inventory when I get home.

Got an extra helmet mount?

I have five ContourHD. When I was discussing a problem I was having about three years ago with Contour they told me that they didn't have internal parts for the ContourHD.

They offered me one of these Roams for 100.00 as a replacement camera. It was a new product at that time.

I took it and I do like it.

I don't use it riding because the battery won't last the entire ride. The ContourHD has a replaceable battery.

Where this camera shines is its ability to do time-lapse in 1080p.

I have used it on the show floor in Chicago for the last three years. The battery lasts about four hours.

With that said; I just picked up a Red and a Blue one. I already have the black.

I use a suction mount on the bike.

Got an extra helmet mount?

At this point the only extras I can find are left and right flat mounts.

But I've spent the last hour plugging, unplugging, swapping, rebooting and reformatting everything about the camera. I've finally got my computer recognizing the camera and card, but the camera won't record onto this card.

BRad,

I'm not sure if this helps or not as I don't know what kind of card you are using. Frankly, I thought they were all the same. The manual has some fairly restrictive requirements for the type of SD card:

- SDSC (standard capacity) class 2 microSD Cards up to a capacity of 2GB

- SDHC (high capacity) class 4, 6, or 10 microSD Cards up to a maximum

capacity of 32GB.

I've jumped on the bandwagon here and order one of these. Hopefully I don't experience the same problems!

~ Dave

I have a camera which I found would not record. The magnet in the slide switch would not activate the camera.

When you slide the switch forward, do you get a red light on the front?

If not if you slide a magnet on top of the switch doe the red light come on?

• Member Contributer

The manual has some fairly restrictive requirements for the type of SD card:

capacity of 32GB.

Those are not restrictive requirements. That's basically any SD card made in the last 4 years or so.

The manual has some fairly restrictive requirements for the type of SD card:

capacity of 32GB.

Those are not restrictive requirements. That's basically any SD card made in the last 4 years or so.

Shows what I know!

I ordered a 32 gb class 4 from eBay for $15 yesterday

Edit. Well dang. Tried to format this 2gb card on last time and now the dang thing is working and recording just fine.

I "upgraded" my original Contour by installing the Contour2 firmware and found that it was necessary to reformat the SD card using the camera (by pressing the tiny button on the back) rather than formatting it using my computer, otherwise the camera would not record anything (it would just turn on briefly then go back off). Maybe this was the reason you were having problems?

Thanks to Yoshi for posting about the Roam 2 deal. Now I have to learn how to use this stuff, and I can't figure out how to embed a video so I'll just link it. Anyway, out of the box settings on the Roam 2 and nice, if warm, day to enjoy the western NC highways. Hope it works.

Archived