Low Cost Mod

ShadowJP88

• Member Contributer

Set up your suspension correctly for your weight and riding style. Simply adjusing the sag (which costs nothing but a little time) can make a world of difference.

• Member Contributer

Remove the snorkel, disable the Flapper Valve & disconnect the PAIR valves.

All free.

Then sync the Starter Valves.

Remove the snorkel, disable the Flapper Valve & disconnect the PAIR valves.

All free.

Then sync the Starter Valves.

But the snorkel did not help getting air from the front?

What does the Flapper alve do?

• Member Contributer

Clean and lube the sliding pins in the brake callipers....less drag = free horsepower!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Replace the stock crap tires with something more modern. Anything is better than the originals. Tires are always one of the most noticeable and easy upgrades. Good luck!

Thanks raoufhakam! I'll look into this mod this week, seems really easy to do.

While you can just unplug the hose from the flapper valve like everyone does, i personally didnt like having it there when its not being used. O, i jist completely removed the valve from the top of my air box (just rotate counterclockwise and remove its hook/arm from the flap), hot glued the space from where it was mounted, and hot glued the flap open (flap could be removed too, but i like to keep all my mods reversible in case i wanna put it back on)

post-30554-0-99570000-1407146123.jpg

Replace the stock crap tires with something more modern. Anything is better than the originals. Tires are always one of the most noticeable and easy upgrades. Good luck!

Done a long time ago, my bike is 106k.

I've put 2 brand new Pilot Road 4 and they are really great!

• Member Contributer

Done a long time ago, my bike is 106k.

I've put 2 brand new Pilot Road 4 and they are really great!

Have you serviced the suspension? Front fork- fluid change and spring replacement? Has the shock ever been replaced? What about the steering head bearings?

• Member Contributer

Ok I've donne this yesterday, the change in sound is nice :)

I just haven't been able to find the connector as seen on this pics:

3-pair_valve_connector-225x300.jpg

That picture is of the 6th gen VFR. The PAIR connector for the 5th gen is accessed behind the LH lower fairing.

Opps, my bad. Should've probably pointed out that the bike in the instructions in that link was 6th gen instead of 5th.

However, everything else applies the same, except for the PAIR solenoid connector as pointed out by "Terry".

Let us know if you do/don't feel any difference after unplugging/disabling PAIR system, i haven't done that in mine yet.

• Member Contributer

Opps, my bad. Should've probably pointed out that the bike in the instructions in that link was 6th gen instead of 5th.

However, everything else applies the same, except for the PAIR solenoid connector as pointed out by "Terry".

Let us know if you do/don't feel any difference after unplugging/disabling PAIR system, i haven't done that in mine yet.

Pulling the PAIR system made no difference to me but my 99 VFR has no O2 sensors so I'd suggest no inherent fuelling glitches to improve. I just hated all the extra plumbing, the VFR's got plenty of rubber hoses going in all directions as it is.

The vacuum flapper mod just makes more noise at 3-4000 rpm, more of a honking sound from the intakes. No change to performance that I could feel, so I put it back to stealthy standard.

The vacuum flapper mod just makes more noise at 3-4000 rpm, more of a honking sound from the intakes. No change to performance that I could feel, so I put it back to stealthy standard.

oh, so that's where the whistling/blowing air noise come in from? oh I love that noise :cheerleader:

oh, so that's where the whistling/blowing air noise come in from? oh I love that noise :cheerleader:

Yes, that's the only difference I see right now.

The more gas I give, the more sound there is. Around 8000 it's really cool :laugh:

When I change my oil pan, I remember I had to disconnect 2 connector on the left side. They where right behind the coolant. Did you know which one it is, or maybe it's both connector?

there is only one clear connector to disconnect, looks exactly like the one in the picture you posted above from the link I showed you before.

I haven't done this myself yet (been too busy, will probably do it over the weekend).

take a look at this link, scroll down to point 26

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/35929-How-To-PAIR-removal-for-5th-Generation

• Member Contributer

Yes, that's the only difference I see right now.

The more gas I give, the more sound there is. Around 8000 it's really cool :laugh:

When I change my oil pan, I remember I had to disconnect 2 connector on the left side. They where right behind the coolant. Did you know which one it is, or maybe it's both connector?

The PAIR connector has blue/white and orange/blue wires according to the wiring diagram, and it disappears up under the frame spar to the solenoid mounted in front of the airbox. I think the other connector in the same area would be the fan motor wire (green and Blue/brown). The fan wire connects through the temperature switch on the front of the LH radiator so it should be pretty obvious which is which. There's also a Purge Control solenoid (yellow/blue and blue/white wires) on California models I think, but I don't exactly know about that as I am nowhere near there!

Archived