Junk Yard Parts - Refurb

TNRC51

One of the only things missing when I found my '06 was the passenger foot peg assemblies. Since my wife may occasionally ride along I needed to replace them. I checked on OEM factory pieces and found that by the time I bought everything required I would be almost $250. So I decided to go the junk yard route. I found the pieces on ebay and by the time i had them in hand I had invested just over $100. The downside is this is what they looked like

IMG 1217

IMG 1218

IMG 1219

IMG 1220

IMG 1221

I bought this kit at O'Reilly's for $17.

IMG 1223

Then I got to work with a die grinder and surface prep pads. They are like souped up Scotchbrite pads. I removed as much of the surface imperfections as possible. There were a couple of dings that were too deep to completely take out since I would have had to really take a lot of material . After cleaning it up I did a final prep with a medium Scotchbrite pad and wiped them down with alcohol to really get them clean.

IMG 1229

IMG 1225

IMG 1224

Finally I painted them in multiple light coats and finished them with a couple of clear coats. All in all they turned out really well. The color of the HyperSilver has a very slight "blue" tint that may not be a concours match but it works well enough for my needs.

IMG 1242

IMG 1246

IMG 1248

Archived