105Bhp

vtwindr

Both the EBR1190 and the naked version have ram air also.

Their naked version the Typhoon you can actually see the ram air intake behind the steering head.

EBR-1190-Typhon.jpg

Here is the 1190 Rx with ram air in front.

2014-Erik-Buell-Racing-1190RX-02.jpg

Okay sorry. I stand corrected. Lol I can not think of any sport bike with out ram air. It would be ridiculous to not take advantage of that extra 6-8 hp...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really?? Really??

What is not computing with you here?

The cbr600/1000

The R6/R1

The gsxr600/750/1000

The zx6r/zx10r

The aprillia rsv4

The BMW s1000rr

The Ducati 1199

That is basically every sport bike available at the moment. They all come factory fitted with ram air and the all benefit greatly from it. The only real sport bike that I can think of that does not is Eric buells new bike and I'm sure there is some specific engineering reason behind it. I can't tell if you are just trolling or you are dense.

I'm the dense one? Oh come on.

None, except for the Kawasaki 2014 636cc ZX6R, of the bikes you have listed have claims made by the manufactures for ram air assisted power figures. I also looked up bikes like the Triumph Daytona 675 which has a prominent air inlet in the nose & about which a big play was made about the integration of the cold air intake with the headstock. Triumph do not make any claims of ram air assisted power figures for the Daytona. The ZX6R claim is for 5 hp gain at max revs, with no reference to air velocity equivalence or at what air box pressure (if any!) That unsupported power gain claim is in the order of 3.5%"calculated" :rolleyes: at the crank.

It would be ridiculous to not take advantage of that extra 6-8 hp...

How fast do you think you have to be going for ram air to have any effect? This quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram-air_intake. " At low speeds (subsonic speeds) increases in static pressure are however limited to a few percent." If, taking Kawasakis claims on face value for a minute, ram air is worth a 3.5% power gain @ V-Max. Being mindful that the drop in air pressure is exponential as speeds drop how much of that small percentage is retained at sporting street speeds? Next time you powering from corner to corner on your local twisties just remember ram air has more effect as a tool for advertising copy than as a street performance enhancement.

Thats why they redesign the ram air inlet and make it very noticeable when they update the model every few years. Technically there is no way to measure the actual effect on total HP output aside from comparing the differences on certain race tracks under the right conditions, with the right pilot on board.

DFH, your right, over 5 slight updates in several years with the same race replica model, and minor other changes, how many would sell if they didnt advertise an increase in power because of the new schnozz on the front? Not near as many, in fact the bikes fans would be complaining on forums that the company is not listening to them and not doing more to attract them to upgrade to the newest model, kinda like some VFR800 fans, haha.

Whatever the actual value, it must be sufficient for all the VFR owners to have said "that's the bike for me" (Yes, there's always someone going to bolt on some nitrous or whatever, so it's a generalisation).

It feels like more than enough for me. I'm trading in an SV650S with 65bhp (or whatever) and part of the fun of the Suzuki's extending the engine all the time to make progress and still be at sensible speeds. Personally I like thrashing an engine and on the public roads anything significantly over 100bhp, you simply can't without being a menace to yourself and everyone else. The new VFR800 can be ragged in 2nd and 3rd gears and you're not asking for a term in jail like some of the knocking-on-for 200bhp sports bikes that do more than the speed limit in 1st.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went on a week-long ride with my brother. I had to work my 6th Gen's gearbox pretty hard to keep up with his Tuono through the corners. His Aprilia just walked away from me through the apexes and out of the corners unless I paid very close attention to my RPMs. But that's what the transmission is for, I guess. Still, I wish my VFR had about 20 percent more grunt.

Yep, every new bike Ive seen on the floor, you can tell by the worn rear tire its been on a dyno? LOL!!!

I'm sure the motor itself is ran for QA before installed in the bike, but the bike actually being dyno'd , never heard of such.

Yeah the last time I had a vehicle dyno'd I needed new tires after I was done :facepalm:. I have seen it in some films about product but those were about exotic sports cars. So maybe a more average consumer oriented product they don't. It sure seems like a good idea to me though.

Archived