Another Bright Idea For My 5Th Gen Viffer....

After my first night ride it was clear the stock 99 Viffer headlight STINKS!

The girl even commented how bad the light output was (on high beam no less) & how it's dangerous, potholes etc.

Looked into the LED conversion and it seemed like a lot of work though it's probably awesome too.

After a little research I found these gems on Epay for $40 delivered...

post-30875-0-27307700-1405829240.jpg

10 min plug n play installation later....headlight goes from dull orangish white to ** wow ** look at that bright white. :wub:

post-30875-0-43271000-1405829042.jpg

To say I'm impressed would be an understatement. It's literally like night and day.

I have no stock in Osram but can tell you these german bulbs are worth their weight in gold. Hopefully they last a long long time.

Tip: make sure you bend two H4 bulb bottom tabs 90 degrees to fit in housing....

So anybody want a pair of slightly used stock Honda headlamps? going cheap! lol

Been looking for these for a while, my brother have them on his car and quite happy with them but i keep convince myself i cam do something more to my bike for that money(p.s. just changed Oil/filter, sparkplugs, coolant and ordered MityVac amd new windscreen).

It does look bright/whitish in all reviews ive seen, but on the highway, does it show/ cover a further distance ahead?

P.s. are those oem turnsignal bulbs? Looks brighter than mine at night.

I notice a significant improvement in further distance ahead coverage over the OEM bulbs. I'm not sure it's as bright as those LED or HID headlamps but I'm satisfied with results.

The turn signals are stock bulbs for now but on my short list for LED upgrade w/flasher relay.

Are you noticing a difference because the bulbs are really better? Or is it because you are comparing to worn bulbs? Standard halogen bulbs dim over time and develop are more yellowish color to them. It would be interesting to do a comparison of these against brand new OEM bulbs.

People always wait until a headlight bulb burns out to replace it, but they should be replaced based on usage. And, on a bike, you can tie that DIRECTLY to mileage since they're on all the time.

Might need to do this, my LEDs were awesome while they lasted but have started to crap out. Reinstalled one of the OEM bulbs last night. I had kind of forgotten how terrible they are.

• Member Contributer

Might need to do this, my LEDs were awesome while they lasted but have started to crap out. Reinstalled one of the OEM bulbs last night. I had kind of forgotten how terrible they are.

Which LED's were you suing PhotoOp? I have heard of the odd person suffering a power driver or LED bulb failure so I was wondering what kind of kit or bulbs you were using.

zoomzoom:

I was using the $100 (or so) ebay "Cree" kit that was going around for a while on the boards here. I really like the wide even pattern they throw and the extra light when on high beam. But one of the low beam elements has died, and the cooling fans are getting pretty loud and rattly. I'll probably make due with my conventional lights for a while and then spring for a nicer set of LEDs from a better company now that I know I like the basic idea of LED in our stock reflector. Right this min I have one regular Honda bulb and one LED in the bike, so its sort of liek those wierd cats with two different eyes

• Member Contributer

Are there any concerns by anyone with the 60/55w draw? Am I going to toast anything from the rectifier, wiring, to stator?

Also, can you provide the exact part number for the lights? I'm finding something that looks like 64193NBU.

Are there any concerns by anyone with the 60/55w draw? Am I going to toast anything from the rectifier, wiring, to stator?

Also, can you provide the exact part number for the lights? I'm finding something that looks like 64193NBU.

If they're LED, they aren't ACTUALLY 60/55W... They're equivalent to that and will actually draw MUCH less power. It's would be similar to CFL bulbs where 16W CFL is "equivalent" to a 60W incandescent.

• Member Contributer

I remember one issue with powering LEDs is they have very brief high electrical loads when they start up, potentially overwhelming the electrical system. So they delayed the starting of the lamps til one at a time after the bike was started.

Do I remember correctly?

• Member Contributer

I remember one issue with powering LEDs is they have very brief high electrical loads when they start up, potentially overwhelming the electrical system. So they delayed the starting of the lamps til one at a time after the bike was started.

Do I remember correctly?

I believe you're thinking of HID's which require about 20-35,000 volts on start up. The HID's generally require a delay relay so that they start one at a time. The LED draw a max of 50w total which is about half of standard halogen bulbs.

• Member Contributer

Since 2008 I've employed PIAA 60/55 watt Xenon gas Super White bulbs that light in the 4200

Kelin range... I've been riding so bright that I got to wear shades...
RC45WhiteHeadlights.JPG

kelvinchart.gif

lts-piaa2-lg.jpg?itok=JfslwRfD

The PIA look interesting.... I'd be interested in a comparison w Osram... For those ordering pickup the h4 size (not h7 in pic) and bend back tabs 90°.... Benefits over LED are no ballasts or ratty fans to deal with and ofcourse cheaper. :491:

Please have mercy on us old pfartz. Bright lights/glare from poorly aimed sources are very dangerous to those of us whose 'rods & cones' have been re-ordered by aging. I dare not ride at night anymore. I'll need to give up driving a car at night fairly soon. Please remember: The other half of an accident could be you. Good fortune, R3~

• Member Contributer

Those PIAA bulbs look nice. I run and am happy w my Osram night racer plus, look the same as those night breakers without the clear band, so the night racers are all blue tint but are white when lit. No one has ever flashed me so i would say low beams are not overly offensive. The bulbs don't seem to have any shorter lifespan than others.

• Member Contributer

I assume these are just brighter replacements and not the "wanna be" HID kits that change the light output cut off. Do you have a pic of the riders POV showing the output cut off?

• Member Contributer

The PIA look interesting.... I'd be interested in a comparison w Osram... For those ordering pickup the h4 size (not h7 in pic) and bend back tabs 90°.... Benefits over LED are no ballasts or ratty fans to deal with and ofcourse cheaper. :491:

Thanks for pointing that out... I've changed the photo...

• Member Contributer

I can vouch for the Night Breakers, a lot better output, whiter, with the same throw.

It is still a H4, so light pattern is the same.

Money well spent.

I've used Osram Nightbreaker + in the cage. Highly recommend them.

I've bought and installed Osram Night Racer for the VFR. Not sure what they are like as the bike still isn't up and running.

I only bought my 2000 (pre cat) vfr three weeks ago, but I have to say I love the headlights.

I suppose it is possible they have already been upgraded though.

Any easy way to tell?

I only bought my 2000 (pre cat) vfr three weeks ago, but I have to say I love the headlights.

I suppose it is possible they have already been upgraded though.

Any easy way to tell?

Mine is a 200 and has cat, u sure yours wasnt changed? Aftermarket header or pre cat swap maybe?

• Member Contributer

What's the problem with the cat model? I have been using osram nightbreakers for years on bikes and cages,big improvement over standard bulbs.

Archived