Hp Gain With A "slip On"

JimGregory

on a 98 what type of gains can be expected with a slip on system. My bike came with a generic oval CF pipe. It's straight through with some packing. Not real loud. But it seems to loft the wheel easier then with the stock system. What kind of real world gains do you actually get? I realize all pipes are not equal. And I may not keep it on as I vastly prefer stealth over a few HP. But I will say it's nice to know what the engine is doing.

IMAG0631_zpsfi4ymdtc.jpg

• Member Contributer

You already have the color that adds 4hp, so no more gains for you....

I had my 5th gen on a dyno last month; with a D & D slip on it hit 106 hp at the wheel. If I'm not mistaken, stock at the crank was supposed to be 112 hp.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, but you can't make that comparison. You'd need a before/after on the same dyno to determine if any gains were actually made. there are too many variables otherwise.

As most others said, expect 0-3 hp.

If anything, you most likely lost some torque having a more straight through pipe on the bike than stock as you usally need some back pressure for good torque values........

HP gain is I suspect one or a couple HP at top end at most (but some badly designed pipes had actually been known to take a little bit of HP from the bike), but with the smaller torque numbers, it all just evens out to what you had stock, performance-wise on the road.

In short, without internal engine modifications, expecting more HP/torque from most slip-ons is a dream.....

If anything, you most likely lost some torque having a more straight through pipe on the bike than stock as you usally need some back pressure for good torque values........

HP gain is I suspect one or a couple HP at top end at most (but some badly designed pipes had actually been known to take a little bit of HP from the bike), but with the smaller torque numbers, it all just evens out to what you had stock, performance-wise on the road.

In short, without internal engine modifications, expecting more HP/torque from most slip-ons is a dream.....

Completely agree here, I would expect anywhere from +/- 0-2 hp especially w/o a map tuned for the mod.

BR

But it sounds nice!

BTW pretty sure you could get someone to trade you straight across for a cherry stock muffler.

I use to see about 3-4hp on average a number of years ago with no FI or carb work. They make nice noise. Remember, one of the easiest ways to get hp, is to lose weight on the rider. 7lbs=1hp

Depends mainly on the color of your bike, like "Dutchy" said, you already have the fastest color (Red) so there's not much left to be gained already. As opposed to slower VFR colors like green oe gray, these could possibly gain some 3hp or so with a slip-on which barely makes it nearly as fast as red.

Well the pro's are the carbon can is weightless. And it sounds like a 427 winding up but not so loud. It really does sound cool.

Con's are it's too loud. Stealth mode is lost. I don't like frightening old ladies when I pass them.

I have a cherry stock can.(bike came to me with both)

Stock can goes back on.

I have a carbon can in southern CT if someone needs one. Come and get it.

I also have a fully modded airbox lid. Come and get it.

Payin it forward if anyone wants it.

• Member Contributer

Back when i bought new dealer quoted the Yoshi being 5-8 hp, course they didnt state where. I can say w only the slipon +5k midrange was improved, i have no dyno to back but the front end got light more often. Adding a pc could only help some after. I would have to say most designs w/o some cheezy removable baffle be real similar.

Edit, the more i thought about it the dealer had 2 options, the +5hp Yoshi slip for just over $400 or the +8hp 2bros system for over $1200. Even if i had more money back then i`d still have no regrets in my descision.

• Member Contributer

On my 4th gen as well as my 6th gen, I would suspect the most obvious gain is the loss of weight. Both stock pipes felt like boat anchors compared to my after market options. I'm not sure about hp gain on either but it takes a lot of power to push another 10 pounds of steel down the road.

• Member Contributer

the oem muffler on a 4th gen is 6 kilo

Akrapovic hexagonal 1.6 kilo..........

Archived