Linked Brakes Testing

JimGregory

I don't know much about this system yet, but if I have the bike on the center stand and apply the rear brake it also stops the front wheel. If I apply the front brake it only stops the front wheel. My limited understanding is it should also stop the rear wheel.

I understand this is just a simple test but has my bike passed or failed? I do want everything to be as Honda wanted it to be. I am in process of UNmodding whatever I find which is not much so far.

Best

Jim

• Member Contributer

You've got the right idea but the application isn't quite right. If you look at the right hand caliper you'll see a secondary master cylinder that is activated when the caliper is squeezed and the tire is rotating. This acts on center rear brake piston. Pretty simplified, but you get the idea.

The front brake lever doesn't apply force to the rear caliper directly. The secondary master cylinder mounted to your front left caliper does that. That master cylinder is only actuated by the drag of the brake pads on the rotor while the wheel is rotating, so it does nothing when the bike is stationary. It sounds like your brakes are working just fine.

OK I found my answer. The front wheel must be turning to actuate the rear brake. Can't do that on the center stand!

Best

Whoops..then got two answers while I was typing! Thanks guys

There's an excellent (and detailed!) description of how it all works at the back of the Service Manual - which is at the link below:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/files/file/171-98-01-honda-vfr-service-manual-optimized-bookmarked/

You can test the rear brake link by moving the front caliper by manually (to move the secondary cylinder attached to it)..

There's an excellent (and detailed!) description of how it all works at the back of the Service Manual - which is at the link below:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/files/file/171-98-01-honda-vfr-service-manual-optimized-bookmarked/

You can test the rear brake link by moving the front caliper by manually (to move the secondary cylinder attached to it)..

Yup that's what I figured but my arms are not long enough. No biggy. I will press the girlfriend into service at some point

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Yup that's what I figured but my arms are not long enough. No biggy. I will press the girlfriend into service at some point

Thanks!

Indeed. Then get her to help you check the brakes.

Thanks!

Indeed. Then get her to help you check the brakes.

Roger that

• Member Contributer

BTW: Consumer Motorcycle News lists "ten best" bikes with significant performance features in their semi-annual mc value issues. VFR800fi is tied with another bike for 6th best braking at 108.something ft. Many motorcycle evaluations article authors consider 120 ft. to be excellent. I've celebrated my '01 brakes several times. Use them both every time. :woohoo:

I was able to bleed the fronts very easily alone. What happenned was I was installing a set of heli bars I got second hand. Loosened the banjo bolt a tad too much and got a buble in there. Came right out on the first bleeder screw like it was there waiting for me. All good. Thanks! I'm sure I could do a breakie if I wanted to try but I don't. I like both wheels down for the most part.

Archived