6Th Gen Subframe On A 5Th Gen Frame?

SlimWhitey

Can it be done reasonably? should I be searching this forum for the topic that shows it's possible?

I'm theorizing that a guy could modify the 6th gen subframe to work, put 6th gen bodywork/taillights on, and mount a 6th gen full system onto his 5th gen without needing to get too creative with exhausts.

• Member Contributer

Beat me to it Cogs. I got to see this bike first hand, beautiful machine and good guy too. I believe Tink is on this forum too but much less than VFRW.

Thank you! And yes, I expect the wiring, and the brakes, to be the worst part, since it does indeed seem that by page 2, he had the exhaust mounted already, and page 3 he has the subframe mocked up.
Budget for parts is expected to be around 500 bucks. paint will come in the spring, hopefully. It'll have to, since I don't think the 6th gen was offered in Pearl Conifer Green :D

edit: hmm, I might try to avoid cutting the subframe. . . however, the only way to know for sure is to start buying parts. So, transmission rebuild in truck first (next week), front end swap on bike next (next month or so, collecting parts now), then this will start. the nice part about stock parts is that buying used isn't expensive with these bikes, it seems.

second edit: Yep, looks like the subframe mods would be the least of my worries, as I could either pay 80 bucks to do what he did or do it myself on a weekend. It's a shame is have absolutely no way to trim/repair/rework body panels though.

third edit: Oh thank christ! wiring diagrams! I have confidence in being able to do this this fall/winter if I can get the heat into my garage before then. I am gonna be de-linking my brakes for the front end swap regardless (with VFR800canuck's method to retain all 3 pistons), so I shouldn't see as many issues with the rear brakes.

Archived