Eighth Gen Modathon (Round One)

house

OK, we're gonna find out about the Ohlins shock fitment on Tuesday. We will also know what the options are on the forks (they may even be able to install the AK20's by Tuesday afternoon!) Keeping my fingers crossed and will post up as soon as they let me know.

The Kaoko throttle lock fit perfectly (but man, the bar weight was a bear to remove!) Link here if you want one. More importantly, FactoryPro shift star and ident-bar fit perfectly. No more missed second gear and it no longer shifts like a Honda. The shifts are exact and solid now. Definitely worth the time and money if you ride alot... find them here. I emailed Marc to let him know the kit works in case anyone else wants to order one.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/1/2014 at 10:24 AM, Rice said:

Hey Will.

Great to see you back and nice work!

Would you do me a favor and measure the length of the straight pipes on the pit stand you are using to hold up the rear.

I am a cheap bastid with a welder and no center stand on my long suffering project 3rd gen :)

Hey Rice, let me know if this is what you are looking for....

PitBull.jpg

It finally showed up today... Looking forward to Tuesday! I didn't realize you can adjust the length, which may solve the question of fitment. Spoke with Mike at Traxxion and he said they can determine if the weight/spring will work with the bike. Fingers crossed!

Ohlins.JPG

quickshifters rock. Had one on my S1000RR, sounded like a gp bike.

Hey house, next time you have your bike in bits can you take some photos of the rear shock mounts, and mabe some measurments of it? Inquiring minds want to know if the Ohlins on a 5th gen will fit the 8th....

Sure, planning to head to Traxxion next week and will ask them as well. Switchblade wants pics of the airbox, so I will try to get both next week.

I like using my clutch, so not sure I need a quick-shifter. The kit from FactoryPro just changes the travel and engagement of the indent arm, so I would think that it would help even with a quick-shift kit

I've got a factory pro shift kit along with sato gp shift rear sets and a rapid bike quick shifter. I wouldn't have it any other way. Sometimes I use the clutch, sometimes I don't. It's a great option to have. I borrowed my friends cbr for a week and greatly missed the quick shifter. It was very disappointing to have the front tire come back down to the ground on the first to second gear change as opposed to my Vfr that will keep it in the air through fourth gear.

Anyways the factory pro shift kit will allow you to take another 5 or 10 ms off of the shift cut times but it does make finding neutral a pain sometimes.

I am wondering how Honda is handling the shift cut times, whether through fuel cut or ignition interrupt....

Hi,

I Am a french vfr800f owner.

Last week, i bought a ermax windscreen and i've problems to fit it.

I don't know how to unmount the original windscreen. I Am afraid to break the front fairing.

Somebody Could help me ?

(sorry for my English)

post-30434-0-83936100-1407593066.jpg

On 8/9/2014 at 10:05 AM, Christm13 said:

Hi,

I Am a french vfr800f owner.

Last week, i bought a ermax windscreen and i've problems to fit it.

I don't know how to unmount the original windscreen. I Am afraid to break the front fairing.

Somebody Could help me ?

(sorry for my English)

There are two screws above the instrument cluster that need to be removed. Once these are out, you can remove the bezel above the instrument cluster by prying out the 5 tabs that hold it in place. I used a trim tool for car stereo installations and pushed down slightly at each tab.

screen.jpg

IMG_3364.JPG

IMG_3365.JPG

Once you have the panel off, there are two screws that need to be removed.

IMG_3368.JPG

Next just pull up and towards the rear to remove the screen.

The Ohlins fit! It is actually a millimeter or so longer than the stock showa shock, but the Traxxion team isn't worried about that. They stated that many aftermarket shocks are routinely a hair longer or shorter. The jury is still out on the spring... they may replace it. The bike goes up on the lift today to pull the forks.... getting excited to see how this all turns out.

VFRD members also now get a 10% discount at Traxxion. Details here

The Ohlins fit! It is actually a millimeter or so longer than the stock showa shock, but the Traxxion team isn't worried about that. They stated that many aftermarket shocks are routinely a hair longer or shorter. The jury is still out on the spring... they may replace it. The bike goes up on the lift today to pull the forks.... getting excited to see how this all turns out.

Interesting stuff. Can you make a note of what the stock spring rate is in the 8th gen shock & what they end up with on your Ohlins, plus your weight as well. The same for the front forks too. This may give some base-line figures for others who follow in your footsteps.

So, are you saying that the Ohlins you had was to fit a 6th gen, and that is a MM or so longer than the 8th gen shock?

So the 8th gen shock is a mm or so shorter than the 6th gen shock (317mm eye to eye centers)

Can you just verify by measuring the eye to eye centres of your removed 8th gen showa shock please?

This is useful information to determine interchangeability.

• Member Contributer

So, are you saying that the Ohlins you had was to fit a 6th gen, and that is a MM or so longer than the 8th gen shock?

So the 8th gen shock is a mm or so shorter than the 6th gen shock (317mm eye to eye centers)

Can you just verify by measuring the eye to eye centres of your removed 8th gen showa shock please?

This is useful information to determine interchangeability.

And post some pic's ..

Shock is on, but the guys are changing the valving as they are upgrading the spring from the 960# spring to an 1100# spring (man, I should lose some weight!) I am at about 212 pounds at the moment. The stock showa has 930# spring. The Ohlins looks like this now:

shock.JPG

shock2.JPG

shock3.JPG

Keith, is this what you mean when you say "and then the forks fell off?"

bike2.JPG

The AK20's are ready to install, but they have not determined what spring to use (a race bike took precedence today, so we should know Monday.) The Ohlins is exactly 2mm longer than the stock. Jerry from Ohlins sent me an email stating the Ohlins is ecactly 317.5mm.. making the stock 315.5mm. Traxxion said 2mm is nothing to worry about (5mm could be an issue, but 2mm is fine.) Hope this answers any outstanding questions... let me know if you have others (and I will get the fork spring weights post and pre upgrades next week.) I also don't know if I will need new fork caps yet. Stay tuned!

2mm extra length should give about 8mm max of extra ride height, perfect for a bit of extra turn in.

Thanks for clearing that up regarding the shock length.

Marvin at Traxxion tells me that the springs are 1.05 on the new AK20's. He says the stock springs are .73 to 1.08. They believe they will be done tomorrow, but that's if everything goes as planned... which it won't. So we're probably looking at Wednesday. Here's some eye candy for you...

Forks.JPG

Fork4.JPG

Martin says that the tubes are coated on the inside, which will wear longer

Fork3.JPG

Fork2.JPG

And finally, my Akra showed up today.... to bad I don't have a bike to put it on

Pipe.JPG

Cant wait to hear and see the akra on the bike, video please. Im on the fence as to leaving the exhaust the way it is or getting either the Dam or Akra.

And please let us know how hard it is to get the baffle out of the Akrapovic.

I am still waiting for mine and was told it could be another 4 weeks WTF?

I'm definitely going with one of those as well...unless someone else is secretly developing something amazing we don't know about yet. Either way, I'm not a fan of the huge & quiet stock can.

Speaking of fuel mileage, my first tank got 47mpg! And I was not taking it easy. That means a longer range than the 6th gen, even with the .2 gal smaller tank...yay.

Archived