Potential Re-Release Of Two Brothers Racing Vfr800 Headers

Rush2112

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I received confirmation and additional info/pricing for the headers. I updated the first post to include the info. Excerpt from email today from TBR:

"...the order would need to be for 100 sets in order for us to make them again. Now that can be split between headers & midpipes & hardware AND complete systems. But the Header & Midpipe & Hardware set cannot be split. They are $599.98 for that package. The tubing will be made from stainless steel as well..."

We now have the opportunity to buy brand new from TBR the exhaust headers that provide proven performance gains on the VFR800s. If you want to retain your existing slip-on than use the cash saved to have a mid-pipe made. If you have a 6th gen this system always needed a custom mid-pipe to work, so there is no change...

... except that now we have the opportunity to get it NIB instead of fishing auction sites for years and paying more for a used set-up!

If your interested in either the headers ($600) or full system ($800 w/ aluminum can, $900 for CF can) post up so we can get a count and try to get these dream parts available again...

Yeow this is getting tempting, but timing is terrible. :unsure:

I am pretty tempted by this, I might be able to tell you to put me down for a full aluminum system if I knew what the timeline looked like, buying a house so have to be careful where the funds go.

• Member Contributer

I received confirmation and additional info/pricing for the headers. I updated the first post to include the info. Excerpt from email today from TBR:

"...the order would need to be for 100 sets in order for us to make them again. Now that can be split between headers & midpipes & hardware AND complete systems. But the Header & Midpipe & Hardware set cannot be split. They are $599.98 for that package. The tubing will be made from stainless steel as well..."

We now have the opportunity to buy brand new from TBR the exhaust headers that provide proven performance gains on the VFR800s. If you want to retain your existing slip-on than use the cash saved to have a mid-pipe made. If you have a 6th gen this system always needed a custom mid-pipe to work, so there is no change...

... except that now we have the opportunity to get it NIB instead of fishing auction sites for years and paying more for a used set-up!

If your interested in either the headers ($600) or full system ($800 w/ aluminum can, $900 for CF can) post up so we can get a count and try to get these dream parts available again...

I am not sure the timing looks good or bad.

I think it will take 8-10 months to get maxed out on our count and we may still not be close to 100.

If we do get close I will probably take a few extra sets for those that may want them later...

• Member Contributer

I am not sure the timing looks good or bad.

I think it will take 8-10 months to get maxed out on our count and we may still not be close to 100.

If we do get close I will probably take a few extra sets for those that may want them later...

LOL... I hear ya Man! I'm counting on Christmas money :cool:

... go without 1 cup of coffee a day and you'll have the money saved up in time :D

• Member Contributer

How does 10.85 @ 128 sound to you?

Wow, with just changing to the TBR full system? No gearing changes or anything else?

• Member Contributer

Wow, with just changing to the TBR full system? No gearing changes or anything else?

Race headers or a complete system won't get full benefit without addressing the engine as a whole... intake and fueling need to be adjusted to make full benefit of the increased performance

We now have the opportunity to buy brand new from TBR the exhaust headers that provide proven performance gains on the VFR800s.

Do you have some documentation or links that show the performance gains?

These race headers have been around for about 15 yrs... they are sought after unobtanium that we have a chance to resurrect. I have seen dyno charts and builds made with these exhaust systems over the years but I didn't archive them... if your truly interested and you have the time you can find them with searches. Please share your results...

• Member Contributer

Could they do any additions like O2 bungs (at least 2 or possibly 4)? I currently have a 98-99 header on my 2001 and had it ceramic coated. I thought about doing a PCV at one point with the autotune after everything was done, but can't without the bungs. The Rapid Bike deal is going on now too, but without the bungs, it seems like you won't get the full benefit.

They're race headers without O2 sensor bungs. The Rapid Bike Tune My Bike module comes with an O2 sensor and bungs if you want them or they can be purchased and welded on pretty easy by most shops or muffler places.

Do you want to throw your hat in and be added to the list?

It will likely be a few months before we get the numbers to get production. Would you like to be added to the list?

I am pretty tempted by this, I might be able to tell you to put me down for a full aluminum system if I knew what the timeline looked like, buying a house so have to be careful where the funds go.

Judging by your profile you would need just the headers and purchase a custom mid-pipe for your 6th gen instead of the full aluminum system.

• Member Contributer

Could care less about the quarter mile, what happens to the dyno curve is what matters..........

Could always ask them if they will do less units for more $ per unit. Personally I think they are playing hard ball though if they are indeed the same as the VFR2014, I am sure they have already tested them and know this... If they still have the original jigs then its not hard to start up production again.

Personally I would throw away that ugly rear muffler if this went through anyway, they are ugly as sin. Those header pipes with an Austin Racing can would be nice :)

Gearing changes and everything else got me to about 10.9 at 123. The full exhaust got me to 10.82 at 128.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could they do any additions like O2 bungs (at least 2 or possibly 4)? I currently have a 98-99 header on my 2001 and had it ceramic coated. I thought about doing a PCV at one point with the autotune after everything was done, but can't without the bungs. The Rapid Bike deal is going on now too, but without the bungs, it seems like you won't get the full benefit.

They're race headers without O2 sensor bungs. The Rapid Bike Tune My Bike module comes with an O2 sensor and bungs if you want them or they can be purchased and welded on pretty easy by most shops or muffler places.

Do you want to throw your hat in and be added to the list?

Sure, put me down. I really like my Micron slip-on, but I think I would just do the whole system with CF can.

• Member Contributer

We now have the opportunity to buy brand new from TBR the exhaust headers that provide proven performance gains on the VFR800s.

A quick search netted these results from Scott Friday utilizing Sabin Performance in Dallas:

Stock 2001 VFR800 w/ K&N filter: 94.9 Hp, 53.24 ft/lbs

gallery_19432_6921_21613.jpg

2001 VFR800 w/ K&N filter + TBR full system: 102.31 Hp, 53.24 ft/lbs... +7.4 Hp, max Tq unchanged

gallery_19432_6921_24801.jpg

gallery_19432_6921_36652.jpg

2001 VFR800 w/ K&N filter + TBR full system + PC2 mapped: 106.4Hp, 55.2 ft/lbs... +11.5 Hp, +2 ft/lbs throughout much smoother torque curve and the engine breathes better at the top with no drop off in power at 10.5k rpms

gallery_19432_6921_45265.jpg

No ignition advance was added.

YMMV...

Original Post...

So you pick up about 8 hp, not bad, only $100/ hp. :comp13:

Why are you on this thread?

A quick search netted these results from Scott Friday utilizing Sabin Performance in Dallas:

Stock 2001 VFR800 w/ K&N filter: 94.9 Hp, 53.24 ft/lbs

gallery_19432_6921_21613.jpg

2001 VFR800 w/ K&N filter + TBR full system: 102.31 Hp, 53.24 ft/lbs... +7.4 Hp, max Tq unchanged

gallery_19432_6921_24801.jpg

gallery_19432_6921_36652.jpg

2001 VFR800 w/ K&N filter + TBR full system + PC2 mapped: 106.4Hp, 55.2 ft/lbs... +11.5 Hp, +2 ft/lbs throughout much smoother torque curve and the engine breathes better at the top with no drop off in power at 10.5k rpms

gallery_19432_6921_45265.jpg

No ignition advance was added.

YMMV...

Original Post...

A 12% gain in power for just an exhaust and fuel tune only is phenomenal. Can you imagine with an actual performance filter, velocity stacks, some porting and added ignition advance??? I can!

• Member Contributer

Maybe because $1k is a good chunk of change for a small to moderate HP gain. Current full systems are still around $1k+, so the price isn't completely ridiculous.

Tried looking for some dyno charts, because I wanted to see if there was much of a HP difference between an 00/01, and a 98/99. I have no idea how much of a HP gain you can get just from losing the cats. I'm sure they are somewhere.

Also, I paid $600 for my complete SS 5th gen TBR header in good shape, so how much you paid for yours doesn't have much to do with the value of the header so much as how much more money you're willing to throw at the problem than other people.

According to vfrmonkey, his TBR equipped VFR had 117.8 HP. The problem is, I don't know what dyno that was run on or the stock HP numbers. I think his build thread got lost in one of the site crashes.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/70657-anyone-seen-the-frankenmonkeyviffer-lately/

• Member Contributer

Tried looking for some dyno charts, because I wanted to see if there was much of a HP difference between an 00/01, and a 98/99. I have no idea how much of a HP gain you can get just from losing the cats. I'm sure they are somewhere.

BikeZ.com lists the 1998 specs from Honda at 110 Hp... the 2001 at 106 Hp. -4 hp possibly due to emissions controls, more narrow primary exhaust pipes in the catted 5th gens, and I think they may have had different cams. These are most likely engine crank Hp numbers and not rear wheel Hp like those measured at a dyno. I believe most stock 5th gens dyno charts I've seen put out about 93 - 95 rwhp...

Ok so just to reiterate, on the 5th gen, the TBR slip ons will or will not fit this particular header and mid pipe?

The new mid-pipe with the headers and will exit around where the muffler should be... I don't know what kind of diameter and inlet fittings are on your muffler. The slip-on mid-pipe that you have will not match up with the angle and placement of the TBR headers outlet, you would need to use the mid-pipe that comes with the headers. I emailed TBR for clarification.

The new mid-pipe with the headers and will exit around where the muffler should be... I don't know what kind of diameter and inlet fittings are on your muffler. The slip-on mid-pipe that you have will not match up with the angle and placement of the TBR headers outlet, you would need to use the mid-pipe that comes with the headers. I emailed TBR for clarification.

Keep me posted, if my current slip ons will work, make me down for headers and mid pipe only, if not I will take it all.

• Member Contributer

Last time I checked this was an open forum. Or did you decide that critics can't post? Just those who agree with you? Don't be an asshat.

If this is such a great deal then it can stand up to a little questioning, or criticism.

• Member Contributer

That's about average rule of thumb for modern motorcycle engine performance improvements... the key is making combined changes that build on each other and have a synergistic effect gaining greater improvement than the individual changes could produce on their own...

For example, the 35 mm primaries on the TBR headers (which btw are the same size as the RC45) provide less back pressure to improve top end performance, the equal length primaries 4-2-1 headers help maintain mid-range torque, but these are further enhanced by proper fuel injection mapping providing greater hp & tq gains than either could provide on their own.

• Member Contributer

That's about average rule of thumb for modern motorcycle engine performance improvements...

I see, it just seems like so much money for so little return. But that's the cheapskate in me talking, I've spent as much or more for even less improvements. The idea for the header only intrigues me though. I had a TB slip-on before I got my present pipe and didn't care for the sound. Too tinny. I'll have to keep an watch and see what the thing looks like when done so I know if I can get a connector pipe for my pipe I have now. I like the sound, but headers just seem like a cool idea.

I had a TB slip-on before I got my present pipe and didn't care for the sound. Too tinny.

From what I've heard, the CF ones have more growl. Not sure which one you had though. I hated the aluminum D&D's, but my GF has a CF D&D on her 2000 VFR and it sounds really good.

Archived