Potential Re-Release Of Two Brothers Racing Vfr800 Headers

Rush2112

• Member Contributer

16 hours ago, Parkes said:

I have pretty much finished the website; hope you all enjoy it www.tparkes.co.uk

Wow, good read.

It must sound awesome.

So how many of these exhausts do we want?:wink:

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
On 1/19/2018 at 9:06 AM, Parkes said:

I have pretty much finished the website; hope you all enjoy it www.tparkes.co.uk

Consider it enjoyed.

Ciao,

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 10/23/2017 at 1:46 AM, Parkes said:

The theory is consistent flow, as even the best mandrel benders reduce flow on bends due to slight crushing. In my opinion it's not as straight forward as that but in the process I have come across something quite interesting to the power curve (bit of a secret) I have come across early findings on this in tuning textbooks written 10 years ago but it is difficult to explain as I don't fully understand it, and nor did they then. I do know is that it isn't used in modern gas wave simulators as it isn't built into the algorithms. It's a bit of a secret among those who have played around with it I think, exhaust development is moving on quite quickly so I am sure they are aware of it and on close inspection I can see at least one motogp team who look like they have. Titanium is fairly easy to work with; the faces have to be perfectly flat for a fusion weld otherwise you risk over stressing the joint from the large weld and it will later crack but generally the ideal sizes are never available otherwise you need to commission £1000's of investment to get a batch made; particularly the tapered sections for the headers. All residual stress needs to be removed from a titanium system otherwise it will crack which normally means welding it between 10-15amps to avoid distortion. You will get through a huge amount of argon so it's worth having the right equipment as doing it in a small shed could put you to sleep for good.

What have you found to be the “ideal” sizes for you primary and secondary exhaust piping dimensions? I know you haven’t been on the site in a few months... I hope it is because you are racing :fing02::beer: please let us know when you get a chance.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Whatever he found ideal for his highly tuned, bored out race engine would most likely be horrendous on a stock VFR.

• Member Contributer
On 5/6/2018 at 8:41 PM, TheLimey said:

Whatever he found ideal for his highly tuned, bored out race engine would most likely be horrendous on a stock VFR.

I wasn’t asking about a stock VFR engine. I was asking to find out what he has found works for a bored and stroked engine... some of us are working on increased displacement 5th gen engines.

... but yes, you are correct. What works on a bored and stroked engine wouldn’t work as well on a stock engine.

• Member Contributer

As an aside & talking dimensions, I was looking at buying a Ladybird Ti RC45 HRC copy . On discussion with the vendor, it turns out they used the same primary pipe do ensigns as the TBR full system I have now. The secondaries are narrower, but that is because the HRC system is two times 2-1 where as the TBR is 4-2-1, so for peak flow with no losses in the midrange th3 TBR is a well developed system.

oK it was made to suit a stock 95hp engine & adds about 8hp with nothing more than fuelling mods. It suits my 120hp engine well & Highside NZ is using a cut RC45 system he made himself on his 825c. 140hp motor, but with basically the same dimensions. HRC took the RC45 to around 190hp on those same dimensions, al be it with the afore mentioned 2x2-1 system, with 40mm secondaries.

what actually stopped the Tyga build ?

16 hours ago, Mohawk said:

As an aside & talking dimensions, I was looking at buying a Ladybird Ti RC45 HRC copy . On discussion with the vendor, it turns out they used the same primary pipe do ensigns as the TBR full system I have now. The secondaries are narrower, but that is because the HRC system is two times 2-1 where as the TBR is 4-2-1, so for peak flow with no losses in the midrange th3 TBR is a well developed system.

oK it was made to suit a stock 95hp engine & adds about 8hp with nothing more than fuelling mods. It suits my 120hp engine well & Highside NZ is using a cut RC45 system he made himself on his 825c. 140hp motor, but with basically the same dimensions. HRC took the RC45 to around 190hp on those same dimensions, al be it with the afore mentioned 2x2-1 system, with 40mm secondaries.

what actually stopped the Tyga build ?

Wasn't it because they "required" someone to actually ship them the TBR headers, so they could mock up the system? That and also needing someone to loan them a 5th-Gen for the purposes of mocking up, and...the list goes on.

Now, if you were to ship them your bike, which fortuitously happens to both be a 5th Gen, AND have the requisite headers installed, we might be able to gain some traction on the project.

No, don't thank me...

😉

• Member Contributer

What Mohawk outlines above is well on the money and the pipe I cut up to adapt for mine was originally a Shark RC45 unit.

I was interesting that it has longer primaries on the front than the back and the secondaries are the opposite, shorter from and longer back.

Primaries are 40mm OD x 1.2mm wall giving 37.6mm ID

Secondaries are 45mm OD x 1.2mm wall giving 42.6mm ID

They seem to work quite well and I think the idea behind the varying length was to try and keep as much mid range as possible.

You need to map the rear and front cylinders completely different on fuelling and you can see the rears are fatter in the mid so again it seems to work pretty well.

Nice, yes very similar sizes to me. Mine just slightly smaller and I use 0.9mm wall. My most recent engine did well making 162hp @13,600rpm with a new design of valve spring + some small refinements elsewhere. Yes the uneven lengths is really important for these bikes as it gives a lovely wide spread of torque. 

My next engine is up for testing in 2 weeks with a slightly shorter exhaust this time

• Member Contributer

Nice hp numbers Parkes. I’d love to hear that V4 at 13600rpms...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 7/9/2014 at 6:56 PM, vfrcapn said:

DIameter of the header outlet is the same. placement and orientation is way different than OEM, so you're stuck with the TBR midpipe.

They do look nice...

IMG_9106Medium.jpg

But that is a ridiculous quantity to demand at this point.

vfrcapn, do you (or anyone else) know if all the 5th gen TBR systems were high mount? Yours is, to paraphrase Ferris Bueller, “so sweet”.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

vfrcapn, do you (or anyone else) know if all the 5th gen TBR systems were high mount? Yours is, to paraphrase Ferris Bueller, “so sweet”.

Mine is high mount but I understood they offered a low mount also.

• Member Contributer

Thanks capn. I've been reading this thread from page 1 post 1 to help get me to sleep at night. Better than ambien. It's amazing to see the trajectory of the quest for headers...at one point you were about ready to jetison your TBR [but only if Tyga produced a left exit system for 5th gen]. Your current system is now approaching a valuation near its weight in silver.

Archived