Potential Re-Release Of Two Brothers Racing Vfr800 Headers

Rush2112

thanks for that - we would like to get involved but we still have to pay the bills!

would be concerned about larger diameter pipes without a change of fairing- clearances are tight even with stock sizes

best of luck in your search

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Hi Ian, I recently replaced a set of standard Motad headers on my Y2K model with a set of TBR headers & IIRC the TBR headers are 38mm OD primaries, with 1mm wall thickness, so 36mm ID, verses Motad std at 33mm ID, this was 29-30mm at the header flange welds !

These gained 6hp on my already well modified bike, the norm was 8-10hp back in the day when the other mods, like airfilter & Powercommander etc were done at the same time.

There are no losses anywhere with this setup !

HRC RC45 pipes had 40-41mm OD with 1mm wall thickness & some of the RC45 guys have stated that that size losses power low down & does not really gain much up top on a standard engine, you needed the HRC kit parts to take the revs to 14,500 to make use of the HRC headers.

• Member Contributer

For what its worth, my Two Brothers headers have zero fairing clearance issues.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ah now we know , thanks CRed .

• Member Contributer

...I've been watching the thread for a while.

Well this thread did start over a year ago. I was involved when we thought a local So. Cal builder was going to help us. I was going to offer them the use of my 5 and 6 Gens if needed for mock up, unfortunately that fell through. The Tyga option still seems viable but they seem to be busy enough without adding another project on their plate. I still have my fingers crossed that Tyga will come through, whether I buy one or not, it would just be cool to finally have an option available for VFR owners!

• Member Contributer

It doesn't look like much is going to happen here, but put me in on the list, if there still is one. 5th Gen (not that it makes a difference). I've been watching the thread for a while.

done... the list still exists and is updated on post #1. thanks for your support :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Emailed the good folks at Tyga for an update on our potential header project....

... no reply, the silence was deafening.

• Member Contributer

I sent the following email to Staintune today... I'll post up any response.

Good Day!

My fellow VFR800 enthusiasts and I are trying to find a place to get performance exhaust headers made for our beloved VFR800s. The earlier VFR800s engines are direct descendants of the cutting edge RC45 homologated race machine of the 90's and the 800's are capable of so much more performance. We contacted DimSport in Italy and they agreed to make plug & play wiring harnesses and develop ignition/fueling maps for our bikes to run the RapidBike EVO & Race modules and only required a minimum of 10 orders to start the work... we are up to 20 purchases and still counting!

I was led to believe that Staintune provided full exhaust systems for the VFR800 at one time. We are looking to interest your company to do the same for performance exhaust system headers... catless race use only;). Granted, Motad & Delkavic produce stainless steel headers but they have the stock tubing diameters and don't offer the opportunity for performance increases.

Here's our key point... headers for any VFR800 will fit ALL the VFR800s! If someone will make these headers there are hundreds of thousands of bikes spanning 16 years of VFR800s that it will fit!!! People are interested; we have 26 people signed up and committed to buy and over 63,000 views on our group buy thread.

if you made the performance headers for the new 2015 VFR800 it would be for a current model not an older model... and it would fit all the VFR800s from 1998 to 2009 (2010 in some parts of the world!) + the new model years. You would already have 26 orders right off the start! That should more than cover the tooling costs. And headers with a stock discharge location would fit current slip on models so you would have a full system with parts already on the shelf!!! Add a center stand stop and O2 bungs to the headers and you would have a versatile system that would fit hundreds of thousands of bikes around the world.

Word would spread... the new 2014-15 VFR800 owners are already modifying their bikes and exhausts as we write... Don Guhl has developed ECU re-flashes for the VFR1200 and the 2006-2009 VFR800s, the new model will be next... adding 10-15 hp to this new bike will really wake it up and keep the people talking about it but it needs a proper exhaust to do that... "

It amazes us that no one makes performance headers for our VFR800s. I have the tubing specs and I could likely have a VFR800 brought to Staintune for designing a jig or I could send a set of headers for your use.

Using 304 stainless steel the easiest and least expensive materials on my side of the pond is 18 gauge 1.5 (1 1/2) inch primary tubing leading into 18 gauge 1.63 (1 5/8) inch secondary that flows into 18 gauge 2.0 inch final collector. This gives a close ID (Inner Diameter) to the stock RC45 exhaust headers.

Primaries (ID) = 35 mm

Secondaries (ID) = 39 mm

Final Collector (ID) = 49 mm

If you can fabricate the headers with two oxygen sensor bungs and include a center stand stop like the later VFR800 headers and have a stock location for the discharge of the final collector then the headers will fit the widest number of model years with minimal modifications and would allow the use of auto-tuning fuel injection management. Headers with this configuration will fit VFR800s from 1998 to the current model year and bolt up to existing slip-ons. These are the requested configuration details of the 25+ VFR800 owners I have lined up for these headers.

I'm sure you already know from a performance perspective, small convergent angle collectors (<15 degrees if possible) will provide the best flow and performance and would be desired if possible.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the project. Please let me know if you need any additional details. Thank you for your consideration and time...

Best regards,

• Member Contributer

RUSH2112, I sent your above post #887 to a company in Queensland, Australia, called (hope this is appropriate) Motorcycle Exhaust Professionals and this was there response

Those tube sizings are fine, just need a bike here to discuss a plan and then make a set and a jig from initially,

Cheers Peter,

:cheerleader::cheerleader:

so now the problem is that i am in melbourne, victoria, and we need a member from the sunshine state to donate thier bike :wacko:

• Member Contributer

AllWeather,

I'm sure many would appreciate you donating your bike for the initial fabrication, if you could contact M.E.P directly for further detailing that will be great.

As far as a free set of headers go, you would have to negotiate that with Peter from M.E.P

• Member Contributer

I received a somewhat generic response from Staintune:

"Thank you for your e-mail inquiry,

I am very sorry we do not cover this model in our product range,

There is some very cheap stainless headers systems on ebay may help your VFR800 group.

Thank you for contacting Staintune Australia"

My Response:

Thank you for your response. We are looking for quality performance headers and are willing to pay what that costs. We are not looking for cheap headers. The headers on eBay are at best equivalent to the stock headers in performance with the same ID dimensions in the primary and secondary tubing; at worst, they have shoddy welds that actually impede exhaust flow and reduce performance. We are looking for quality, performance exhausts and that is one of the reasons I reached out to Staintune because of your high quality reputation within the VFR community. Your high mount exhaust for the VFR800 are very sought after pieces of kit for our bikes.

I would be willing to pay $6000 USD (~$8600 AUD) for the first 10 headers if you build them to the specs I included in the original email, i.e. stock Honda RC45 tubing dimensions in VFR800 configuration w/ O2 bungs and center stand stop. There are 25+ buyers committed and I'm willing to cover the cost for the first 10, the next 15+ could buy direct from you or we could work out an distribution arrangement. Please let me know if this is a project you would be willing to undertake.
Highest regards,
I'm awaiting Staintune's response.

RUSH2112, I sent your above post #887 to a company in Queensland, Australia, called (hope this is appropriate) Motorcycle Exhaust Professionals and this was there response

Those tube sizings are fine, just need a bike here to discuss a plan and then make a set and a jig from initially,

Cheers Peter,

so now the problem is that i am in melbourne, victoria, and we need a member from the sunshine state to donate thier bike :wacko:

G'day boOZZIE,

Has M.E.P. produced any commercially available motorcycle exhausts? How is the quality of their work and potential pricing? Any examples available for viewing? As Staintune pointed out... There are plenty of cheap headers available on eBay. That's not what we are looking for. Depending on the quality, workmanship, and/or pricing you may have 25 members willing to purchase... or none.

While all avenues of potential fabrication of these performance headers are worth pursuing, we need to keep our efforts & communications focused. If anyone has potential sources for manufacturing of these headers please introduce the information to the group for discussion before contacting manufacturers on these members behalf. Please keep us informed. Thanks...

• Member Contributer

I just tried predator in the Uk, that do make VFR800 systems, but again they are behind the curve & don't have time for any new projects.

• Member Contributer

I received a somewhat generic response from Staintune:

"Thank you for your e-mail inquiry,

I am very sorry we do not cover this model in our product range,

There is some very cheap stainless headers systems on ebay may help your VFR800 group.

Thank you for contacting Staintune Australia"

My Response:

Thank you for your response. We are looking for quality performance headers and are willing to pay what that costs. We are not looking for cheap headers. The headers on eBay are at best equivalent to the stock headers in performance with the same ID dimensions in the primary and secondary tubing; at worst, they have shoddy welds that actually impede exhaust flow and reduce performance. We are looking for quality, performance exhausts and that is one of the reasons I reached out to Staintune because of your high quality reputation within the VFR community. Your high mount exhaust for the VFR800 are very sought after pieces of kit for our bikes.

I would be willing to pay $6000 USD (~$8600 AUD) for the first 10 headers if you build them to the specs I included in the original email, i.e. stock Honda RC45 tubing dimensions in VFR800 configuration w/ O2 bungs and center stand stop. There are 25+ buyers committed and I'm willing to cover the cost for the first 10, the next 15+ could buy direct from you or we could work out an distribution arrangement. Please let me know if this is a project you would be willing to undertake.

Highest regards,

I'm awaiting Staintune's response.

Cheers Peter,

G'day boOZZIE,

Has M.E.P. produced any commercially available motorcycle exhausts? How is the quality of their work and potential pricing? Any examples available for viewing? As Staintune pointed out... There are plenty of cheap headers available on eBay. That's not what we are looking for. Depending on the quality, workmanship, and/or pricing you may have 25 members willing to purchase... or none.

While all avenues of potential fabrication of these performance headers are worth pursuing, we need to keep our efforts & communications focused. If anyone has potential sources for manufacturing of these headers please introduce the information to the group for discussion before contacting manufacturers on these members behalf. Please keep us informed. Thanks...

RUSH2112

I'm not sure of their work, I have been following this from the start & realised that it wasn't really going anywhere so I just sent them your post.

I'm quite happy for you to contact M.E.P as leed negotiator, as you're all over the design & spec's of what is needed.

I'll pm u peters email address later in the day.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Staintune's response:

Thank you for your e-mail inquiry,

Sorry to say we just are not interested in making these header sets for the VFR800.

Thank you for contacting Staintune Australia

• Member Contributer

At least it's honest.

That it is... that it is

They were given the specs and were even provided with a 10 header pre-sale commitment.. and they still said no...

I am about to purchase a TIG welder and teach myself the art of exhaust welding...

• Member Contributer

Has anyone checked with Larry ? There was a guy that made his for RC45, using some special parts from Akrapovic, so either he or Larry might have a lead or be able to make these. Just a thought.

• Member Contributer

At least it's honest.

That it is... that it is

They were given the specs and were even provided with a 10 header pre-sale commitment.. and they still said no...

I am about to purchase a TIG welder and teach myself the art of exhaust welding...

I am finding that it more costly to source a mandrel bender....

Archived