What A Great Bike!

Sounds like a good low mileage buy. Amazing what you can find in the States!
A couple of years ago I bought a small trials bike from the early 90's to fool around on and the brakes weren't all that great. So I stripped the calipers and found mild corrosion behind the seals in the calipers. Used a dremmel with a brass brush and it cleaned out like new. Brakes worked noticably better afterwards. Maybe your's are OK, but maybe worth checking over winter.

As for EBC, I have had bad experiences with their products before (pad material coming unstuck from the pad in chunks & very short lifespan compared to others). You might want to look at Brembo sintered pads or other alternatives, but then if you're running OEM pads still, those should be pretty good anyways.

There are various tank grip materials out there. Something like this can be cut to your desired shape (Make a paper template first) and stuck onto your tank. Clear would work well on your red VFR. http://www.stompdesign.com

No no I said MY bike is humpy..never met yours. And I would never call it portly. That's just rude!

Oh ok sorry, i thought my 5th gen VFR800 could be somewhat similar to you 5th gen VFR as well, sorry, my bad :P

No no I said MY bike is humpy..never met yours. And I would never call it portly. That's just rude!

Oh ok sorry, i thought my 5th gen VFR800 could be somewhat similar to you 5th gen VFR as well, sorry, my bad :P

I hear they do share a family resemblance..

• Member Contributer

You could try putting grip pads on the tank and gripping with your knees. Mine will stop from 25 MPH in less than 20 feet, without crushing my delicate parts. Pretty sure the brake pads are OEM. Lots of practice of hard stops is a good thing. Anyway, welcome and enjoy!!

Any recommendations for good tank grip pads for a 5th gen?

• Member Contributer

I got the techspec ones. I think they might have actually sent me ones for a 6th gen, because they are a little too "pointy" on the front, but they work well.

• Member Contributer

They don't list a VFR in the Tank Tredz ... did you use the universal kit (medium or large) or did a model specific kit work?

I got the techspec ones. I think they might have actually sent me ones for a 6th gen, because they are a little too "pointy" on the front, but they work well.

Which type did you use? Snake skin, High Fusion, etc.? Any pros and cons to the different grip surfaces?

They don't list a VFR in the Tank Tredz ... did you use the universal kit (medium or large) or did a model specific kit work?

Which type did you use? Snake skin, High Fusion, etc.? Any pros and cons to the different grip surfaces?

I haven't ordered it yet but was going to get the generic one.

Archived