R/r And High Temp Scare

jaydj

I was in PA interstate 80 over the weekend and spent about 40 min in stop and go traffic, barely crawling along. My bike was seeing temps of about 230-235 while idling and coasting slightly downhill. That worried me.

However, I did notice that my LED volt meter was stuck on red and I immediately turned off the hi-beam. Even when we got moving it was flashing. Barely made it to yellow after about 6 mi and I was wondering if I cooked the R/R (has a computer fan mounted on it that runs continuously) and my bike would die far from home. Anyway, about 10 mi later it finally came back to green.

So, I am wondering if that load (radiator fan + high beam during low revs) may have dangerously depleted my battery? I hooked it up top the tender for the last 2 days but have not yet started it. Any thoughts?

• Member Contributer

I'm being an asshat, but ditch the idiot lite voltmeter and go to a digital one so you can really see what is going on.

- And then do "the drill" anyhoo to get data on what to do, if anything.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78455-charging-system-test-flow-chart/

btw - a spike to 235 degrees and then cool down is no big deal.

• Member Contributer

I've got a digitial one that plugs into a 12V outlet (cig. socket) thats mounted on the center of my triple clamp. This last week I was riding on the backroads on the coast and noticed that it didn't show over 13 V on my ride (12.4- 12.9) so the next day I pulled the seat and tailsection and sure enough 1 of the yellow wires going into my reg/ rectifier had burnt thru right @ the 5way plug, so I cleaned both ends of the wire and used a crimp connector on the wire and its putting out 13.5- 14.2V for the next 500miles on hwy 1 on the marin and sonoma county backroads. I also had to change out fork seals(bumpy back roads @ speed) , oil, and front and rear PR3's and flushed brake fluid and installed new HH pads. Hopefully I'll get another 3000 miles out of these. Also went on the Sunday Morning ride again on the 6th and one of the riders I had breakfast has been doing this approx 45 sundays/ year since 1963. Most of the riders are ex AFM and AMA racers and definetly know each bump on that section of Hwy 1 from Mill Valley - Pt Reyes station. GREAT RIDE

• Member Contributer

So, I am wondering if that load (radiator fan + high beam during low revs) may have dangerously depleted my battery? I hooked it up top the tender for the last 2 days but have not yet started it. Any thoughts?

Was fan load the reason for your low voltage indication - Yes. In my experience, the fan will cause a voltage drop below 12 volts that will not be overcome by accelerating the engine (at least up to about 5000 rpm). As long as your fan is on, your voltage will be less than 12 volts, hence the red indicator light.

Did you dangerously deplete your battery? Not likely. If your battery has enough strength to start the engine, you are fine. VFR electrical issues do not generally originate at the battery, but in the charging system. Keep an eye on your voltage indicator. If you run in the yellow or red even when the fan is off, that is an indicator of pending trouble.

Jeff J.

Was fan load the reason for your low voltage indication - Yes. In my experience, the fan will cause a voltage drop below 12 volts that will not be overcome by accelerating the engine (at least up to about 5000 rpm). As long as your fan is on, your voltage will be less than 12 volts, hence the red indicator light.

Did you dangerously deplete your battery? Not likely. If your battery has enough strength to start the engine, you are fine. VFR electrical issues do not generally originate at the battery, but in the charging system. Keep an eye on your voltage indicator. If you run in the yellow or red even when the fan is off, that is an indicator of pending trouble.

Jeff J.

I disagree; a properly operating charging system will keep the fan going along with high beam lights. The only caveat I will add is that AT HOT IDLE, the stator usually will not produce a full charge for any extended period. Usually requires RPMs above 2000 on a hot engine to achieve 14+ volts.

• Member Contributer

If I rode in stop and go traffic alot i would consider putting a ON\OFF switch on the headlights. Of course you have to remember to turn them back on and hope the cops are understanding :wacko: .

If anything I am hoping I just depleted the battery really low. It ran back into the green after about 20 miles. I will ride it today for the first time since. We will see. Its been on a tender since, and when I remove it it goes red, but I think it has always done that unless it is running.

Well I took is out yesterday and it ran fine w no issues. Thank f'in gawd. Anyway, will definitely monitor it and not use hi beams in traffic jams. What a scare knowing the electrical gremlin rep VFRs have.

• Member Contributer

Well I took is out yesterday and it ran fine w no issues. Thank f'in gawd. Anyway, will definitely monitor it and not use hi beams in traffic jams. What a scare knowing the electrical gremlin rep VFRs have.

It's a lot bikes that have the same problem .

Archived